The Allman Brothers Band
Any personal experi...

Notifications
Clear all

Any personal experience with kids remote learning?

3 Posts
3 Users
2 Likes
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I am with our granddaughter every Thursday morning while she goes to school with her second grade classmates online.

Honestly, I have to say I think it is going really well.  It might be her young age and the subject matter they are covering; I see a lot of growth in her knowledge and ability with spelling, reading comprehension.  They are doing math, but that takes place in the afternoon when my wife is with her.  Sounds like my wife is impressed with the afternoon sessions as well.

For older students and given some different subject matter, I definitely see challenges and limitations with all-remote learning.  Here, from what I see for this age group, it's going very well.

Not to mention her computer skills are off the chart.  It reminds me of when I might be showing my Mom something on her phone or computer and I go real fast and she can't hardly follow what I just did, yeah, that is the same thing our 7 year old granddaughter does with her chromebook opening menus and making selections so fast that I barely have my question out "how do you"...and boom she's done it.

Posted : March 26, 2021 12:34 pm
goldtop
(@goldtop)
Noble Member

Yes...we have a grandson that has been home schooled all year. My wife sits with him and does his school lessons with him. He is physically disabled and has a compromised immune system due to his numerous birth issues. He's smart as a whip...engaging and charming and he has the best attitude for all the difficulties he's faced in his life.

We do hope he can go back to regular in person learning next year but with his conditions the family felt home learning was his best option for now. He's done well but it has been taxing as times for my wife...I only get involved when things go too sideways between them.

Posted : March 27, 2021 12:22 am
nebish reacted
(@2112)
Famed Member

My son does fine with remote learning. His school started hybrid this week, but we are sticking with remote learning for the rest of the year since he is doing fine with it.

That said, we have friends whose children are usually very good students, but do not do well with remote learning. Every child is different, and some adapt well to it and others don't. I really do feel sorry for those children who have lost out on a year of education when remote education doesn't work for them.

Posted : March 27, 2021 6:48 pm
nebish reacted
Share: