The Allman Brothers Band
Fillmore East Feb 1...

Notifications
Clear all

Fillmore East Feb 1970 expanded release.

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
peach-head
(@peach-head)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Just come across this. I like the original 2018 release so this is a disc I will definately pick up.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/allman-brothers-expanded-fillmore-east-recordings/

Posted : May 19, 2021 9:25 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Earliest EReed I know of is UCal-Riverside the previous month (Jan 1970)

surprising Dickey saying his least-favorite version is the original - but I’ve loved Idlewild South forever - same ABB

Posted : May 19, 2021 9:36 am
pixielf
(@pixielf)
Honorable Member

Excellent news!!  Thanks for the heads up!

Posted : May 19, 2021 11:41 am
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

I believe this is just the original 2018 release getting a rerelease and nothing new. If you already have the 3 disc version from 2018 there is no need to buy this again. if you have the single disc release then I highly recommend getting this 3 disc rerelease.

This post was modified 3 years ago by Bill_Graham

Posted : May 19, 2021 1:10 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

The Mountain Jam on this is strong. I especially like how Jaimoe is cooking during Gregg and Dickey's solos before the drum solos. 

This post was modified 3 years ago by robertdee

Posted : May 19, 2021 3:19 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @bill_graham

I believe this is just the original 2018 release getting a rerelease and nothing new. If you already have the 3 disc version from 2018 there is no need to buy this again. if you have the single disc release then I highly recommend getting this 3 disc rerelease.

yeah...thats what I thought too. kinda odd they are doing this so soon and again. Oh well.

I am probably going to get "torched" for saying this,maybe deservedly so, but with releasing all of the Duane/Berry era stuff your setlists/songs are generally the same. Yeah I get it, the"jams" might be different be essentially its the same songs from a very small pool to draw from. It reminds me in away of the all the live Hendrix stuff you see every few years. That has kinda slowed up.

I personally would like to see them focus in on post Duane/Berry. Like the Greg,Dickey,Lamar,Chuck,Jaimoe,Butch stuff or Warren/Dickey era, and with Jack.
Wouldn't that be interesting if they put out some of the Lawler years?!?! 😋 😋 😋 

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : May 20, 2021 9:29 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Some of the pictures I've seen related to these shows are wrong. Early 1970 is when I got hooked by the band and the 5 or 6 shows I saw in early and spring 1970 Duane was playing a Goldtop and Dickey was playing an old Stratocaster. By summer I think Duane was still on his Goldtop and Dickey had moved to an SG. 

When a lot of people think of the Allman Brothers, they think of Duane Allman and Gregg Allman. I had a man my age the other day ask me about Ramblin' Man. He said his wife likes Gregg and has some of his individual albums as he called them and on Ramblin' Man they know it's not Gregg on that so that must be Duane isn't it? He knows I'm a huge fan and I said that is Dickey Betts. He had not heard of Dickey. Never heard of Warren or Derek or Jack. Likes Jessica when he hears that on the radio and when I said it is Chuck Leavell on the piano solo and Dickey Betts on the guitar solo he said " You've lost me now. You mean Gregg and Duane don't even play on Jessica, on a song by the Allman Brothers? They shouldn't call it the Allman Brothers Duane and Gregg aren't there". I said Harry and Homer Doobie left the Doobie Brothers years ago and the people still in the band kept the Doobie Brothers name. 

He saw the band twice when he was in college and said Duane and Gregg played the solos and Gregg sang and Duane sang on one but wasn't as good as Gregg then they had about four guys backing them up and he remembered Duane died somehow and figured Gregg was on his own after that. He and his wife are big Springsteen and Jimmy Buffett fans. 

It is interesting or amazing that a lot of people don't know that most of the guitar solos and keyboard solos are not by Gregg or Duane and there are several songs that are among the band's most famous which don't have Gregg singing on them. 

And interestingly most of the Allman Brothers songs they play on classic rock stations I can pick up here with the exception of Brothers and Sisters cuts are the Duane and Berry lineup. 

I haven't noticed anything by later lineups on the radio lately. Use to hear Good Clean Fun, Seven Turns, Nobody Left To Run With and Soulshine some but not lately. 

Posted : May 20, 2021 10:10 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@jszfunk I feel the same. I really appreciate the push to get new shows out to market after years of fans begging for them, but unless the audio quality is stellar or the show is transcendent, I'm good with the Duane-era material I have. I bought this album (Fillmore 2/70) when it was released back in 1996, still spin it on occasion (love the "Outskirts" from this show), but I never bothered to get the remastered expanded edition. I've skipped Texas '71, Painter's Mill, and Fillmore West as well. I actually never picked up Boston Common either. Fillmore West sounded mostly solid, but the other recent releases are too rough to regularly spin - curios for collectors.

I'd prefer some shows off the beaten path or a show that has something unique to offer.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : May 20, 2021 10:35 am
Share: