The Allman Brothers Band
Chuck Leavell "The ...

Notifications
Clear all

Chuck Leavell "The Tree Man" documentary is out.

12 Posts
8 Users
8 Likes
steved
(@steved)
Honorable Member
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Thanks for the reminder!

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : December 1, 2020 7:46 pm
islalala
(@islalala)
Honorable Member

Finally caught this --- watch it if you haven't yet --- streaming free with a sub to Amazon Prime.

I knew the guy was prolific, but had no idea to the extent and breadth of great musicians he's played with over the years, let alone his climb to world class in his trade as a forester.

Harrison, Clapton, Gilmour, Rait, Eric Church, etc.

And his wife sure seems amazingly loving and supportive

Humans like Chuck are rare breeds, indeed

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by islalala

Posted : May 17, 2022 9:48 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

And if you haven't read Chuck's autobiography, definitely do that. I hadn't read it in a few years and I recently did. I forgot how good that book is.

https://www.amazon.com/Between-Rock-Place-Chuck-Leavell/dp/0865549753/ref=sr_1_2?crid=10SXDEFO5WW97&keywords=chuck+leavell&qid=1652817918&s=books&sprefix=chuck+leavell%2Cstripbooks%2C862&sr=1-2

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : May 17, 2022 4:09 pm
harvey reacted
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

@islalala:  You pretty much summed up everything I think about the documentary.  I DVR'd it off of AXS and watched it over the last two nights.  It's a full two hours.  You'll come away thinking that Chuck is both an amazing musician and an amazing man.  One never stops to think how important trees are in our lives.  They house us and they give us the oxygen we breath.  

From a musical standpoint, what stood out to me the most was Mick Jagger's comments.  Chuck keeps a very detailed notebook of every tune the Stones play, how they play it, and he's been doing that for many years.  Mick:  "You wouldn't think that's a big deal, but let me tell you, it is.  To have someone in the band who remembers how we played that song, every night, and how we can change it up and make it better."  Chuck is also the guy who said to the Stones, "Look, we've been playing the same setlist every night.  You've got a huge catalog.  Let's delve deeper into it and change things up."  In other words, he challenged them and that influence has been very big in keeping the live Stones interesting.  

And it doesn't end with the Stones.  I never knew Chuck played on The Black Crowes' Shake Your Money Maker or on hits by Train.  He improves everything he gets his hands on be it music or the forest.  I also was impressed at how emotional Chuck got when talking about his wife Rose Lane and what she's meant to him over the many years they've been together.  She was an office worker at Capricorn Records back in the day, the first person you saw when you walked in the door.  Chuck: "I finally got up the nerve to ask her out and the rest is history."  

Watch this thing if you get the chance.

Posted : May 21, 2022 6:02 am
Randall reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

If you are on this site this likely is one of your favorite songs broken down and explained!! 

This post was modified 2 years ago by robertdee

Posted : May 21, 2022 7:36 am
Rusty and robslob reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

And the song in concert with nice close ups of Chuck's hands in 1986 in Nashville. 

Posted : May 21, 2022 7:44 am
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

One glaring quote from this documentary that stands out enough that I had to post here once again:  Eric Clapton talked about Chuck Leavell's time in his band and how significant his contributions were.  Clapton also said, "I'm interested in anyone who has any connection to The Allman Brothers."  Why Thank You, Mr. Clapton, from a big fan.

Posted : May 24, 2022 10:36 am
cyclone88 reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@robslob Listen carefully to Chuck's piano on the outstanding LIVE version of Ramblin' Man. Chuck doesn't get a solo but he is leading the band and playing Dickey's notes with him at the changes. Chuck Leavell is an outstanding musician! 

Posted : May 28, 2022 7:31 am
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Noble Member

Think the best quote was "Most of them (keys) are bangers; Chuck is a musician."

Posted : August 14, 2022 10:43 pm
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Noble Member

Have to say the interview w/Bruce Hornsby lowered my opinion of him. He was astounded that Chuck's left & right hands can play 2 different rhythms simultaneously & demonstrating how he'd almost learned to do a few bars after 6 months of practice. Virtually any good pianist can do that and that's what classical pianists do. Not a huge fan, but thought he was competent. Chuck seems to be a chameleon; he channels the music of whoever he's playing with.

Posted : August 16, 2022 1:10 pm
cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
Prominent Member

Re:  Train. 

He plays on Drops of Jupiter and his contribution is superb. I love him on that song. 

Posted : August 17, 2022 8:16 pm
Share: