The Allman Brothers Band
9/16/71 Not bad aud...

Notifications
Clear all

9/16/71 Not bad audio. Hear drums, especially Butch, real well plus Oakley's bass.

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member
Topic starter

It's at the Warehouse.  And it seems to be in stereo. 

Someone highlighted Gregg, Duane, Berry and Butch's birth and death years on what looks like a gate fold on an album.  

Cowboy on the show. And it cost a budget busting 5 dollars!!! 

I was at the Warehouse once and it was a smoking show. This one is too. 

This topic was modified 3 years ago by robertdee

Posted : December 2, 2020 10:58 pm
JimSheridan
(@jimsheridan)
Noble Member

Hey, this is a real treat for me. Thanks for posting this. 

I am no expert and no collector. I could not tell you if this is a recording that has been out there in trading circles or not. I can't guarantee that I don't own this under some different name, for that matter. Bootlegs do get mislabelled, and at this point I do have a foolish number of recordings, more than I can keep track of.

But this rocks!!!! The brers are in fine form on it, and the audio is clear enough for me. So, again, thank you. 

Posted : December 2, 2020 11:54 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Jim I too think I've heard this before but not sure. If I have, the clarity wasn't this good. Nice Blue Sky version too on this and a good Mountain Jam. 

Posted : December 3, 2020 6:36 am
CrossEyedCat
(@crosseyedcat)
Estimable Member

Not sure Cowboy played that night, rather Wet Willie.

The story behind the recording can be found here http://www.blackstrat.net/TapeStory.html

Thanks to John DuBois for recording it.

You can hear a fight breakout in the audience before the band launch into Statesboro Blues.

Posted : December 3, 2020 8:22 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thank you CrossEyedCat. That link was most informative.  Last night I wondered what all that banter from Duane and Berry was about at the beginning and now it is clear it was a fight. 

As I listen to this there shouldn't have been any doubt in anybody's mind this band was going to the top. A band that can play with this level of energy and musicianship coupled with a great singer and two great songwriters HAS to make it. Yet Gregg and Dickey both admitted they had their doubts but Duane never had the slightest doubt. And here they are in September and At Fillmore East has sold over 500,000 copies and gone GOLD and just 5 months later Eat A Peach goes platinum ( over 1 million copies) and rises to number 4 of the Billboard top 200 albums. 

And Duane Allman's slide playing on the first several songs is absolutely ON FIRE!! I've never heard anyone play slide with that kind of explosive energy. No wonder Gregg always said his brother could "light a fire in a damn place in a New York minute ".

Posted : December 3, 2020 11:33 am
(@Anonymous)

I took some time a few weeks ago to try and make the blue sky on this sounds better. Let me know what you think! 

Posted : December 5, 2020 8:58 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Andyvanno yes indeed. You made it better. Listened twice! 

This entire show is high energy especially from Duane and those first songs on slide, Duane is smoking hot.

The recording I think claims to be at the board and it is stereo but darn if it doesn't sound as if the guy recording was on the stage right behind Butch Trucks. But Butch is on my right as usual on the playback.  

All the none stop touring and the success of At Fillmore East was paying off at this point in the band's history but just the next month they got sucker punched with that motorcycle wreck. That would have permanently derailed at lot of bands.

BTW the Hot 'Lanta from this show is just outstanding. So much energy and incredibly tight. Butch and Jaimoe sound like one brain working 4 arms and legs. All 6 of them are so tight. 

Posted : December 6, 2020 9:02 am
RAB
 RAB
(@rab)

Posted by: @robertdee

The recording I think claims to be at the board and it is stereo but darn if it doesn't sound as if the guy recording was on the stage right behind Butch Trucks. But Butch is on my right as usual on the playback.

Please take a look at the link CrossEyedCat provided earlier. John made the recording with mics hidden in the rafters, 4 feet in front of the stage. Not sure where you’re seeing that it was done “at the board”. 

Posted : December 6, 2020 10:01 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member
Topic starter

@rab Oh thank you RAB. Went back to CrossEyedCat's link to refresh my memory and stand corrected.  I must be remembering another audience bootleg I've listened to and read about. There are many on YouTube now. And some are rough. I've received a few audience bootlegs over the years that are just so hard to hear the band that to me they are unlistenable.

Posted : December 6, 2020 1:37 pm
goldtop
(@goldtop)
Noble Member

Isn't this the show were there's a fight just in front of the stage...I think it was recorded by a staff member that hung mikes from the rafters

Posted : December 6, 2020 5:04 pm
DarylM
(@darylm)
Estimable Member

Oddly enough, there is some incredible `prog'-like beauty to the playing

near the end of the concert....`Whipping Post', I believe. Makes you wonder,

of course, what might have been.

Posted : December 7, 2020 3:30 pm
Share: