15 Posts
7 Users
4 Likes
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Does anyone happen to know where this is from? I ran across it this morning scanning through some pics. Looks like a really big crowd.

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : November 30, 2020 7:55 am
Lana reacted
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Boston Common 8/17/71🤙

Posted : November 30, 2020 8:32 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

I'll go out on a limb here and say they are playing Must Have Did Somebody Wrong.  Duane is playing the SG Dickey gave him for slide guitar and Gregg in on electric piano rather than organ. 

I see Butch in the background and perhaps a little of Dickey's head.

I believe Jaimoe didn't play drums but timbales on this song back then. 

Posted : November 30, 2020 10:51 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Wait. That looks more like Berry behind Duane than Dickey. Hmmm. Maybe.

Posted : November 30, 2020 10:54 am
steved
(@steved)
Honorable Member

I can certainly see Jaimoe on his kit right behind Gregg's head. 

Posted : November 30, 2020 11:59 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Yeah I see him now Steved. Jaimoe on his kit. Maybe this is Statesboro Blues. I think Gregg always played organ on Statesboro back then but you just never know.  Those guys also could also switch it up. It could be Dont Keep Me Wondering.  With Jaimoe on traps too. 

Posted : November 30, 2020 1:20 pm
DarylM
(@darylm)
Estimable Member

I've always been impressed by the size of the crowd. Was that a free concert?

Posted : November 30, 2020 2:54 pm
CrossEyedCat
(@crosseyedcat)
Estimable Member

Taken by Peter Tarnoff.

I think it's Berry behind Duane, from the other photographs taken that day Dickey is wearing a light colored top and Berry a darker one.

The concert was from the Sunset Series on the Common for the benefit of Summerthing - check out the flyer https://allmanbrothersband.com/event/abb19710817/  

This post was modified 3 years ago by CrossEyedCat

Posted : December 1, 2020 5:02 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

The drummers are so close to the stage. Berry, Dickey and Duane on the edge. 

Jaimoe with no shirt. I remember seeing Berry in jeans with the patch in the back. 

Those guys spent 1969, 1970 and 1971 basically on the road. 305 shows in 1970 alone.  It paid off. They eventually made the big time as they say. 

Posted : December 1, 2020 6:49 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Wow, you guys put a lot more thought into this than me. I just thought it was a cool picture. Pretty cool that it is Boston Commons if that is the case since we have that show.

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : December 1, 2020 8:55 am
robertdee reacted
CrossEyedCat
(@crosseyedcat)
Estimable Member

From Boston Common (17 August 1971)

Posted : December 2, 2020 8:44 am
oldcoot and Randall reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Nice 1971 pictures. Berry Oakley always looked so happy and psyched to be in that band. He wanted Dickey in the band and was deeply impressed with Duane. Duane was like a guru or tribe leader to Berry and he was just lost and devastated when Duane left the band. 

Also as I look back to my first experiences with the ABB beginning in 1970, all of the members were key to giving the band it's trademark sound. And what a different band it would have been if Dickey had not be asked to join. No twin lead guitar with Duane and no Revival, Liz Reed,  Les Brer in A minor,  Blue Sky, Jessica, Southbound, Ramblin' Man etc etc. Dickey's contribution was probably equal to Gregg's. And of course Duane was the founder, leader and sparkplug making it all fire. 

As people died and problems caused breakups and other changes, thank goodness they found others to keep the band fresh and exciting or the Allman Brothers Band would have probably dried up when Rare Earth did.

I saw Rare Earth once and it was a hot show. What was it? People Get Ready or Get Ready they stretched out and reworked. Maybe it was an old Temptations song.

Posted : December 2, 2020 5:49 pm
steved
(@steved)
Honorable Member

I think everyone in that band had a voice to be heard. We all know Duane's voice was the loudest and rightfully so. But damn so were Gregg and Dickey and Berry and Butch and Jaimoe. I know Robertdee will agree that this band brought it. I never, ever get bored listening to this band.

It wasn't until Gregg passed that I realized his talent was as great as Duane's. 

What a band. Fate is an amazing thing for sure.

Thank god for the Allman Brothers Band. What would I be listening to without them???

Posted : December 2, 2020 6:30 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

😎🙏These are Tremendous CECat, thanks for posting! - so dig it when new photos pop up - these are special - I mean Dickey looks more like his son than himself!!

looking at the set list:

this is from MRiders

”King Curtis’ funeral was Aug 17 in NYC...Days before, the band had played an open-field concert in Boston and Duane performed a tribute to his friend. ‘Everyone gradually stopped playing’, writer Jon Landau remembered. ‘Without saying anything he worked the jam into Soul Serenade...that was a stunning moment just stunning...one of the most beautiful things I ever heard Duane play’.” 

😄dates notwithstanding, this for sure is that open-field show & the archive release, less this & the J Geils sit-in on SMonday

This post was modified 3 years ago by Stephen

Posted : December 2, 2020 7:36 pm
VTAB
 VTAB
(@vtab)
Estimable Member

No surprise at the crowd size the band always drew great crowds in the Northeast. Spot on Duane Betts is spitting imagine of his dad at roughly the same age.  

Posted : December 4, 2020 11:35 am
Share: