How high should I get...

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
sckeys
(@sckeys)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

My guitar strings. (sorry fellow stoners)

I’m trying to find a sweet spot for string height for slide. I’d like to keep em lower as Derek does and learn that touch that he has. I’ve a kind of gimp left hand these days and can’t do set ups like I used to so experimenting would be hard. From what I would call normal low action I was thinking of trying 1/4 inch. Any ideas.

Posted : August 25, 2018 6:04 pm
njpaulc
(@njpaulc)
Trusted Member

Leave it as it is and learn to play it with normal string height from the start. It is not difficult and it also allows you to fret with the other fingers of your left hand. The only time high action is needed is on a "lap steel" type set up where you are only using the slide.

Posted : August 27, 2018 4:51 am
sckeys
(@sckeys)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

That’s what I ultimately want to do. It’s a lot of clanging and clunkin so far. Admittedly I haven’t practiced much as I’ve been doing a lot of piano stuff. I’ve got to find that touch. I’m going to take your advice and stick with it as is and put in some time. Thanks.

Posted : August 27, 2018 6:55 am
sckeys
(@sckeys)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Getting a little bit smoother. I wonder if a slightly heavier gauge string may give it some lift. I’ll keep at it. I wish the players here used this thread more. I’ve been looking thru all of the stuff that used to be posted.

Posted : August 28, 2018 4:57 pm
scotiadave
(@scotiadave)
Estimable Member

A lot of it is down to general set up as well - for low actions, I find a flatter set up will help. The guitar has a lot to do with it too, some guitars are just lousy for slide. I keep a balance between a slightly higher action and being able to fret it.
The clonking noises get better if your slide is shorter and a good fit on your finger, I find. I also use 11’s whereas I normally use 10’s.
I guess it’s all personal at the end of the day, trial and practice.

Posted : September 12, 2018 12:12 am
Share: