The Allman Brothers Band
What Does Vaccinati...

Notifications
Clear all

What Does Vaccination Mean in Real Life?

344 Posts
23 Users
126 Likes
14.3 K Views
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member

I was in an airport and on an airplane last week with no mask - now that is progress!

Posted : June 1, 2022 10:52 am
PorkchopBob reacted
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member

I got covid for the first time.  Tested positive little over 2 weeks ago.  It wasn't too bad, maybe 24 hours of feeling sick, some weird symptoms.  Never lost taste or smell, but almost thought my other senses were heightened.  Only thing I worried about were other people I potentially exposed before I knew, but all the friends and family I was in contact with, even close contact the day before or morning before I tested positive never got it.  I was very worried about some dear older friends where I was at their house the day before, but they have been fine thankfully.

My last vaccination shot, the booster, was first week of December 2021.  So I've had a total of 3 shots.  My wife has had two boosters!  Not sure I will get any more shots.  The variants they are talking about now seem resistant to vaccines and previous infections.

Posted : July 13, 2022 3:04 pm
cyclone88 reacted
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Noble Member
Topic starter

@nebish 

Sorry to hear you had it, but glad it was mild. I had 2 shots plus booster & never got the 2nd booster for the reasons you mention. I did have Covid early this year but it was milder than my reaction to the booster. More cases around me very recently despite vaxx & boosts and only one is in ICU but she has a pre-existing lung condition. We're back to conflicting info again re the new strains. 

Posted : July 13, 2022 3:28 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member

I've been hearing about new surges and new reasons to be concerned for so long now that literally I no longer pay attention.  There is always some variant in some part of the world coming to the US and it is always going to be a problem.  Was it?  I can't even tell you if the xyz variant from Africa they told us about this time last year had an impact or not in the US.  So many waves of variants and different degrees of evasiveness from the vaccines and some have bad reactions and others hardly even know they got it.  If it wasn't for fear of infecting people who are more prone to have bad reactions from becoming infected I don't think I would think about covid much any more.  The day I tested positive I asked my wife if I should test.  She said no, people get sick and the last several she knew all tested for covid and were negative and I'm probably negative too.  I knew something was different though and tested later that day.  The worst part was having to quarantine that week as I had a lot of commitments and I let a lot of people down for things I was supposed to do and help with.  That sucked.  But they all said the right things to make me feel better.  It's going to be around and around and around.  Chances are I will get it again and others will get it again or a third time or a fourth time and so it goes. Such is life now.

Posted : July 13, 2022 10:58 pm
cyclone88 reacted
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

COVID is still real so anyone show thinks this is going away anytime soon is mistaken.

My family and I just got back from a vacation in Hawaii this past Monday and I tested positive for COVID today.

I originally got the J&J vaccine and I am triple vaxed but still caught COVID on my vacation. Nobody in Hawaii wore masks so I most likely caught is on vacation.

So far I have flu like symptoms, low grade fever, muscle aches and cough and runny nose.

All I am saying is be cautious and get as many vaccines as is allowed for your age.

Posted : July 14, 2022 10:14 am
cyclone88 reacted
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I just read a NYT article "I'm a Virologist & I'm Setting the Record Straight on Variants & Reinfections" that was probably meant for scientists. What I got for laymen was get every booster (especially for the 60+ population) because the existing ones still offer protection from serious complications of the newest variants. He mentioned some small international studies about who gets what & why. He urged the FDA to approve boosters that specifically target Omicron variants, but I don't think Americans can bear to hear about yet another vaccine much less get it.

Posted : July 23, 2022 1:34 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Agree fully cyclone88 - however, a story I read yesterday (unsure who issued it) stated that the WHO (not the band) has now declared monkeypox a global emergency, & vaccines are needed etc &on

BA, BA5, omicron, delta, monkeypox..........obladi oblada - there'll always be something to be very concerned with - but I agree, Americans can't bear to hear about another vaccine, much less get it

Posted : July 24, 2022 10:42 am
cyclone88 reacted
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

That's the way it's looking - state of monkeypox emergency in NY & Calif, companies now racing to develop a vaccine.....it's starting up all over again - what did the late great Dan Fogelburg say - "the poison is spreading, the demon is free......"

but there's more

rabid feral vicious packs of monkeys have been running amok somewhere & killing people - have read that recently - whether these monkeys are tied to monkeypox, I don't know

it doesn't stop there - the offended have arisen

moneypox implies racism & carries a negative connotation to people of color, they are saying, and are demanding a new name for monkeypox

That's what people worry about - unbelievable - wonder what'd happen if if you said "get a life" to them

I'd also like to know why they don't badger/harrass O6 ChiHawks, WS champ Braves & their tomahawk chop, or Arrowhead Stadium, home of the Chiefs - why are they so different from Indians or Redskins.

"They're guardians of the legacy of the history of the Cleveland Baseball Teams.......

"They'll be commanders of the gridiron in the same way their neighboring president is commander in chief of the nation"

It's all drivel - idiotic fodder, for the birds only

Posted : August 2, 2022 4:03 pm
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Noble Member
Topic starter

@stephen 

Had no idea there was a racial stigma for monkeypox. It's a huge concern for NYC's gay/bi men who are likening it to the early days of AIDs given its STI transmission. What ever happened to condoms?

Posted : August 2, 2022 5:54 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Good ? cyclone88 - this is from Aug. 1, it's printed by STAT, whoever that is

---

Since the earliest days of the current global monkeypox outbreak, scientists and public health authorities have been calling for the disease to be renamed, arguing that it has racist overtones and carries a stigma that will hinder efforts to stop its spread.

In mid-June, World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said his agency agreed, and would be working with partners to rename the virus itself, the disease it causes, and the two clades or strains of the virus, each named after the parts of Africa where they are found.

Nearly seven weeks later, none of that has happened yet. It’s very likely some of it may not happen at all.

Posted : August 4, 2022 11:52 am
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Noble Member
Topic starter

@stephen 

Just had a conversation w/a virologist this morning about an impending health emergency announcement re monkeypox & now, we have it. She didn't mention the name controversy; just said it's part of the molluscum contagiosum family (not that I know what that is). Her concern is that the general impression is that it is only an STI for gay/bi men when actually anyone can get it. Now that it's a national emergency presumably more resources will be available. The currently available vaxx doesn't prevent getting it; lessens the severity. As I've said before, Americans are weary of vaxx talk - Covid, monkeypox, whateveritscalled.

Posted : August 4, 2022 4:20 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Wife has COVID for the second time this year. She had it this past January.

Milder symptoms this time, more like a simple chest cold. She is fully vaccinated so maybe that helped.

The hazards of being a flight attendant I guess.

This post was modified 2 years ago by Bill_Graham

Posted : September 5, 2022 11:07 pm
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

@cyclone88 I'm getting old (65), but very thankful/appreciable that I grew up in the '60s and '70s when you could pretty much have "safe" unprotected sex with just about anybody.  These days, you've gotta wear a condom and have 4-5 vaccinations just to walk out to your mailbox.  It's not even safe to share a joint with anybody anymore.  Even though "Monkeypox" is considered to be a threat mainly to gay men - keep in mind that AIDS/HIV started out on the same path.

Posted : September 6, 2022 12:32 pm
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Noble Member
Topic starter

@rusty 

I mentioned earlier that monkeypox is NOT just a threat to gay men although those are the ones who seem to be most concerned about it & getting a vaccine. They see parallels to the perception of Religious Fanatics that it's another punishment for being gay. Stats show that people w/eczema are a high risk group, but anti-vaxxers aren't going to let that deter them. I DO think the country as a whole is weary of vaxx talk because it's been so polarized for so long. 

Posted : September 6, 2022 1:00 pm
Rusty reacted
Page 12 / 12
Share: