The Allman Brothers Band
What Does Vaccinati...

Notifications
Clear all

What Does Vaccination Mean in Real Life?

344 Posts
23 Users
126 Likes
14.3 K Views
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @sang

Out here in the burbs there are numerous drive thru testing sites, and Walgreens and CVS have offered free tests and vaccines.

But then I would have to buy a car. You know where I live. That would be cost prohibitive. 😛 

The CVS here doesn't do the testing. Just the vaccines. I think I can get the booster in November.

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : September 15, 2021 9:01 am
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Well, one anti-vaxx argument has fallen. Covid deaths in the US have now surpassed the 1918 flu making it the worst public health crisis in US history.

Here in my part of NYC nothing has changed in almost 2 years. We still wear masks, work from home, & if we do go to an indoor concert or restaurant, proof of vaccination is required. The altercation between some Texas tourists who assaulted a restaurant hostess when she offered them outdoor seating due to their lack of vaccination proof last weekend happened 2 blocks from my apt. That was a go-to restaurant for us, it's a family business that's been in that location for 30 years & survived on take-out for a year, & were following the latest protocols. It confirms my belief than anyone unwilling to save lives, the economy, entertainment, life as we knew it are just nuts. What is the point in yanking the necklace off the hostess & hitting her? Was it going to get them seated inside? Was it going to influence restaurant restrictions? No, it got them a court date.

I naively (& that's about the last word to describe me) thought anti-vaxxers would surrender when it came down to either resuming their lives, including jobs, or being pariahs. I'm dumbfounded at the number of people who have retired or quit their jobs and chosen to give up seasons tickets to teams they "lived for" rather than get vaxxed. It just seems incredibly stupid never mind callous to others, including their families, to me.

Posted : September 21, 2021 12:04 pm
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

@cyclone88 Where do I start?  For openers:  a close uncle of mine died last week (Prostate Cancer coupled with severe Alzheimers and Dementia).  My dear aunt (lives across the street form me) and he were very close (bother in-law to her).  It will cause me pain forever to know that I chose to NOT take her to the funeral. 

This particular branch of my family (my mom's in-laws) are among the most politically strident right-wingers you'll ever meet.  I attended a wedding in the same town just weeks before the Covid Virus was acknowledged.  Deep south - people literally attending a church service with revolvers strapped to their hips.  I was actually hoping hard that the family would choose to forgo a funeral service - or have a virtual, on-line facsimile.  The initial announcement was that the service would be strictly outdoor/graveside, but the plans shifted quickly.  There was most certainly a lengthy, indoor service - followed by the graveside segment and ending in the traditional southern, "everybody to the house for fried chicken and desserts".  Exactly how I knew it would be.  I'm no doctor, but I'd bet the ranch that Covid was present at this event.  NO - I did not attend!

I feel horrible for not taking my 84 year-old aunt ... who already has so many strikes against her (Diabetes, Lupus, near-blindness ... 84 birthdays ...).  I also feel that if I had, it likely would've been her date of infection.  I'm going to wait for 2 weeks before taking auntie to see her sister and family - to make sure that no family members are carrying the virus.

Closer to home - my most educated niece (a doctor who teaches aspiring nurses at a university) came down with a break-through case - also just last week.  She'd been vaccinated and thought she was being safe.  Her's turned out to be a very severe break-through case.  I'm guessing that only her youth, strength and the fact that she had been vaccinated saved her.

The vaccines given to my aunt, my wife and myself are now 8 months old.  As with the initial vaccination, we are all eager for the booster.  But just like with the original shot, restrictions allowing only those over 65 to receive the new shot are in place.  My wife and I are exactly 64 1/3 years old as I type this.  When I took my aunt for her first shot, the nurses and doctors (Health Dept. massive vaccine drive) seized upon the fact that although I wasn't quite old enough - I was a caregiver for my aunt.  They told me to roll up my sleeve - to which I happily complied.  I told them my wife (24 hours older than me) was also a caregiver.  "Go get her", they said.  Weird thing - the building was nearly empty!  Where were all the folks seeking vaccination? 

Why not give the shot (and the current booster) to ANYBODY who is willing to take it?  Why make anybody wait?  

(Wow!  Sorry for the long rant!)

Posted : September 21, 2021 12:41 pm
cyclone88 reacted
Icepick
(@icepick)

@cyclone88 

I notice “Texas tourists” is prominent here as it was in the national news outlets that initially reported this altercation. It isn’t noted til video appears of the assault that the perpetrators were Blacks and the victim Asian-American. The attackers, once aware video existed of the attack, played the race card in their defense. 

We know our President has called this now a “pandemic of the unvaccinated” & accused those in Texas among others as lacking intelligence and a prehistoric mindset. So why were these attackers non-vaccinated if indeed they were not?

1-They are Texans.

2-They are Black.

3-They are MAGA supporters. 

Which of the above is more likely?

Also why no outcry of anti-Asian hate & racism on the part of the Texan tourists?

Now BLM has arrived on the scene to harass Carmine’s as racist. Does this, using the rational of the supporters of the President, make BLM an anti-vax organization?

Posted : September 21, 2021 5:26 pm
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Noble Member
Topic starter

@icepick 

I deliberately excluded race from my rant against the tourists because it's irrelevant. It's about vax status & the mindset that the unvaxxed have that would lead them to assault the hostess of a restaurant complying w/NYC's regulations rather than 1) knowing in advance that proof of vaxx or a negative Covid test are required for indoor restaurant seating anywhere in NYC and 2) trying to subvert that policy by physical force. As I said, I live 2 blocks away on the Upper West Side of Manhattan which is probably one of the top 10 most liberal bastions in the US & race simply isn't an issue in our daily lives.

I can't speak for BLM. The statement of the BLM organizer of a few "protesters" milling outside Carmine's late Monday afternoon was that "restaurants are using vaxx mandates to enforce their racist beliefs." That would seem to be something to address w/the mayor's office rather than a restaurant complying w/the mayor's policy. 

It's ludicrous for anyone to protest an Italian restaurant for compliance when there are Japanese, Mandarin, Bahamian, Thai, Soul Food, Indian, & kosher restaurants, pizza windows, Irish taverns & Seinfeld-type diners in a 2-block radius that are also serving all patrons according to the mayor's policy.

ETA: I don't know why the tourists were singled out as being from Texas other than to note they're visiting NYC from a state where the governor has declared that all Covid preventative measures such as proof of vaccines & mask to be prohibited in restaurants. Surprise! NYC isn't Texas.

Posted : September 21, 2021 6:58 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

I got my booster shot this morning. The nurse asked me if I had Pfizer (I have) and I gave her my documentation to show that I was a first responder. She said it didn't matter. She just wanted to make sure it had been six months since my last one. It was close enough I guess (a few days shy). It seemed like going through the first round of shots. There are parameters but I think they just want to get everyone vaccinated and I don't think providers will turn people away for doing the right thing. I told a few friends to get theirs as soon as the six months has passed as that seemed like the thing they cared about.

Posted : September 28, 2021 3:38 pm
Icepick
(@icepick)

@cyclone88 

You said you don’t know why they were singled out then state exactly why they were singled out. OK.

Posted : September 28, 2021 11:13 pm
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @icepick

@cyclone88 

You said you don’t know why they were singled out then state exactly why they were singled out. OK.

I don't know why the media called them Texas Tourists. I posted my best guess which begs the question of why 6 vaxxed people would travel to NYC where they can't do anything - eat inside, go to museums, movies, plays, stores, concerts w/o proof of vaccination or a recent negative Covid test - and not bring their vaxx proof. Obviously, you have sources that told you "exactly why." Good on you.

Posted : September 29, 2021 11:36 am
theotherbrothers
(@theotherbrothers)
Estimable Member

We know our President has called this now a “pandemic of the unvaccinated” & accused those in Texas among others as lacking intelligence and a prehistoric mindset. So why were these attackers non-vaccinated if indeed they were not?

1-They are Texans.

2-They are Black.

3-They are MAGA supporters. 

Which of the above is more likely?

The anti-vaxxers are all over the spectrum of politics, race, and gender. I see no rhyme or reason to it as far as demographics, but the one common thread is certainly utter stupidity. 

Posted : October 15, 2021 12:02 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

I went into one of my watering holes this morning for brunch. The topic got to the Chicago mandate starting tomorrow that EVERY patron in a restaurant, bar or gym has to provide proof of vaccination to enter. So my friend gets into a discussion with our Sunday bartender. They went at it about getting vaccinated. My friend is in his 80s, an educational doctor, so obviously a smart guy. Our bartender is 28. She doesn't give a flying flip about a vaccine and thinks it is all a farce so she refuses it. The staff doesn't even wear masks and they are serving food. I listened to them for probably 40 minutes. I didn't say a thing although I wanted to.  Her only argument was that she can do whatever she wants and she isn't hurting anyone. I was starting to get mad but bit my tongue. She walks to the end of the bar and I said to my friend, you know this is a pointless, useless argument you are having, don't you know? He acknowledged that and said he just wanted to make his point. 

I wanted to ask her if she was worried about her livelihood. Her boyfriend works there too and they don't seem to care. 

They've already been fined over $2,000 for violating the city's rules. They could potentially get shut down and they just don't seem to care. 

Posted : January 2, 2022 4:38 pm
bluesboy57
(@bluesboy57)

The vaccines are failing at an alarming rate. Why are vaccine injuries being suppressed? I personally know two people who died within days of getting their 2nd shots. Why are so many athletes (soccer players in Europe) suddenly having breathing and heart problems? Why is there no treatments for Covid patients when Ivermectin and other drugs have been found to help many patients? There needs to be options other than the failing experimental vaccines for which there are no long term studies.

If you subscribe to Spotify, check out Joe Rogen’s podcasts with Robert Malone and Peter McCullough. Well worth a listen.

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by bluesboy57

Posted : January 5, 2022 10:19 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@lee It's hard not to argue, but I agree it isn't worth it. I was at an outdoor bar on X-mas. A woman next to us started saying how lucky we are to not be in NY because in FL we are "free" (word-for-word lines she's been fed by anti-vaxx media and Ron DeathSentence). I told her I was just in NYC and I felt completely free, but it's cold there and everyone is indoors in the winter. She said a few more dumb things (yeah but you have to show your card blah blah blah I had Covid [of course she did] and didn't die yada yada) until I just said "merry Christmas".

She was drinking PBR out of a can with a straw. You can't reason with people like that.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : January 6, 2022 12:06 pm
Bill_Graham reacted
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member

I don't know what vaccination means in real life any more.

I got my first shots in April and got the booster in December.  I feel good about my decision to do so.  Everyone in my immediate family is vaccinated, some extended family and maybe half of my close friends are not vaccinated.  I pass no judgement on any of their decisions.

I said in one of these threads back in August that was the most people I knew who were positive, all who were vaccinated.  Since then, right now, this past week+ is the most people I know who are positive.  Bunch of people right around Christmas and New Years.  All but a couple are vaccinated and one is her second time being positive with covid and also vaccinated and boosted.  She says the symptoms are more mild this time and she is more functional compared to her first positive last year.  Is that because she is vaccinated or is that because this variant is milder?

My brother-in-law is unhealthy and thankfully vaccinated.  He had to go to the hospital with covid, I think he might've died if he wasn't vaccinated, but can't know that for sure.

A nephew I am close with, him and his wife got covid in November.  Neither are vaccinated.  She handled it pretty well and bounced back.  He ended up having to be admitted to the hospital and still over a month later has trouble breathing.  Would he have had a better time if he was vaccinated?  Can't know, maybe. 

The vaccine made sense for me.  With the amount of people that are having break-through infections now I'm pretty sure I will probably get it this year.  Hopefully the vaccine will help me out if that happens.  Can't know if it will or what would've happened otherwise.

Just got to go on about your life.  Lots of bad stuff can happen.  Take the steps you want to take, or not, nobody knows what the future holds.

Posted : January 6, 2022 3:37 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

I know this is a dead horse subject, and my rants will never change anyones mind, but I read posts about the evils of the vaccine and have to vent a little.

I think the data supports the effectiveness of the vaccine to protect a person from serious illness and serious complications.

It shows that the majority of individuals ending up in the hospitals and possibly eventually dying are the unvaccinated.

No one in the scientific community has ever claimed you could not get COVID if a person was vaccinated only that you are much less likely to suffer life threatening complications. This was made clear by the scientific community from the very beginning.

There is no magic bullet with this virus. There will be  small percentage of individuals that suffer reaction to the vaccine or still need hospitalization even if vaccinated but I think there is enough data to prove the vaccine is effective in saving lives and crippling chronic side effects of COVID.

I could never understand the individuals who will believe non scientists like Joe Rogan and put unproven substances in their bodies, like horse dewormer, yet believe all the crackpot conspiracy nonsense about the efficacy of the vaccine and refuse to get vaccinated.

The antivaxxers believe there is some government conspiracy to suppress effective alternate treatments. Can someone please tell me how the government benefits by suppressing validated alternate treatments? Where is the political profit for the Biden administration to do this when the increasing infection rate can actually hurt his reelection bid? Even Trump got vaccinated and  got the booster so what does that tell you?

I am sure the older members of this forum will remember when we were young and had to get vaccinated for childhood diseases like polio, chicken pox, measles etc. or you could not go to school. At least that was the rule in my part of the country. You never heard people whining about their civil rights being violated back then so how is this any different with COVID? 

Posted : January 6, 2022 5:01 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@nebish

I agree, I gave up being concerned with other peoples' vax decisions. Can't know for certain what kind of shield it provides, but the evidence over the summer indicates it's substantial protection. There seem to be many more people who regret not getting vaxxed than the other way around.

With omicron surging, I know more people who have gotten COVID over the past month than the previous 22 months. Mostly people who have or regularly interact with kids. All were vaccinated, no serious cases, thankfully. Maybe that indicates it's on its last legs, making its last desperate stand through vulnerable un-vaccinated kids. Who knows?

My wife and I are still cautious, I'd rather not contract it. We see my wife's mother often, and we definitely don't want to pass it along to her. Glad to be in FL during the winter months where we can easily play outside.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : January 6, 2022 5:03 pm
Bill_Graham and nebish reacted
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@bill_graham Well said. I've said this before, but there are people who believe that if something isn't 100% effective, it is somehow a failure. People like Joe Rogan are reverse-engineering their opinions in the face of a mountain of evidence to the contrary. It took decades to eradicate polio, but it worked.

Reminds me of this Onion article:

https://www.theonion.com/well-why-did-i-get-vaccinated-then-screams-burning-1847370467

People will be studying the stubborn response to COVID vaccines and the stream of disinformation for decades.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : January 6, 2022 5:11 pm
Bill_Graham reacted
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @porkchopbob

She was drinking PBR out of a can with a straw. You can't reason with people like that.

So, a Packers fan?  Exhausted Laugh  

Posted : January 6, 2022 6:16 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@sang

PBR won that blue ribbon in Chicago FYI

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : January 6, 2022 6:26 pm
Bill_Graham and Sang reacted
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

@sang Packer fans don't drink that swill PBR. We prefer the signature beers of Lambeau Field Leinenkugel or Terrapin Beer Company

Posted : January 6, 2022 8:02 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Noble Member
Topic starter

@bill_graham 

Well said, but people forget that this is a global problem & every country in the world would have to be in collusion to effectuate some massive evil plan.

The situation of anti-vaxxer tennis player Serbian Novak Djokovic playing out in locked down Australia reminds us that it's a global situation. The guy is ranked #1 in the world, but isn't vaxxed & got a medical exemption from the Australian Tennis governing body to play in the Australian Open. So, he arrives & is shocked to learn that the Australian government doesn't care about tennis association rules; it enforces government rules & he's to be deported. Of course, he calls in his lawyers who are appealing while he sits in a quarantine hotel instead of being forced on the next plane out. He's been vocal about how he doesn't want to be forced to be vaxxed to travel & play in worldwide tournaments. Well, pick one - either get vaxxed & continue his career or sit home in tax haven Monaco & whine about the unfairness of it all. Of course, this is a guy who believes he can cleanse polluted water by positive thinking.

Posted : January 6, 2022 9:59 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@bill_graham Leinie's was making different beers before anyone back in the 1980s, but they leaned too heavy into the gross Shandy lately. They peaked 20 years ago. Once in a while I'll see something else on the shelf like their Vanilla Porter, but it always tastes like a lager with artificial flavoring.

New Glarus is probably more popular in WI.

Terrapin has only been in WI since 2017. I think they are also owned by MolsonCoors now. I'm not really a fan - too hazy, tastes like juice to me.

Lambeau Field actually features a few GB beers - Hinterland, Titletown, Badger State.

My mother-in-law had some Costo Kirkland beer which I noticed is produced by Point Brewery, kind of surprised me.

Makes me think we need to start a beer thread!

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : January 7, 2022 9:46 am
Bill_Graham reacted
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

There's battle lines being drawn on the border in Windsor, Ontario, where police have arrived to forcibly remove trucks which have blocked traffic going into Detroit & the US b/c of Canada's suffocating vaccine mandates - that a Touchy situation that could go code red pronto

so, what vaccination means in real life is war zones - yep, Ukraine isn't the only trouble zone for the US - both crises merit close monitoring at the present time

Posted : February 12, 2022 10:18 am
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member

I'm pro-vax, but anti-vax mandate.  I don't support any protests that disrupt life and commerce.  The court ordered them to disperse, now the ones that don't all need arrested by any means necessary.

Posted : February 13, 2022 12:57 am
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member

Bunch of covid ran through the family.  Wife, two of the kids and all three of the grandkids.  All were vaccinated and boosted except for two of the three grandkids.  The two spouses probably had it.  One never tested, but quarantined with family and the other tested negative twice but had all the symptoms.

Somehow I didn't get it, I was with them the day before my wife tested positive.  Best guess is they all got it from my wife and not sure where she got it.  I tested negative 3x and never had any symptoms.

My wife had it rough for 2 days.  Really just slept for nearly 2 days solid.  By day 3 she was getting better and by day 5 she was pretty normal.  She is immuncompromised so we weren't sure exactly how that would go.  I assume it went better because she had the vaccine.  Assume.

Posted : February 13, 2022 1:03 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

They're arresting people but the bridge into Detroit is still closed

but yes, these are the kinds of situations covid can & has caused - best wishes to all adversely affected

Posted : February 13, 2022 6:12 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member

Lots of face mask wearing at LA Rams home games/super bowl.  Got to love obedience - fight the power!

Posted : February 13, 2022 11:58 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

A friend just posed a question in the MT Thread about COVID and sports andit got me thinking.

The thing with sports teams and COVID really makes me wonder about something. Are these guys all not vaccinated? I haven't seen that, only that they couldn't play. So they commiserate with the vaccinated players?

What about these guys that won't get a vaccine and they have to go to Canada to play? Sorry Anthony Rizzo, you aren't playing the Blue Jays 8 or 9 times a year. The Raptors are in the NBA playoffs. Same thing. 

Here in Chicago they just eliminated the mask mandate completely which is weird. You don't need one to take public transit which most of the city does.

Posted : April 21, 2022 2:13 pm
LUKE
 LUKE
(@luke)
Estimable Member

My gosh. This place sound's like a buncha lightweight speedo wearing dork's goin back and forth. LMFAO! And the sad thing is you all are serious in your lick's.

I got my first shot toady. I am going to get my second tomorrow if i can get in. My arm is a little sore, but that's about it. I feel so revitalized, and am ready to spring back into life again.

This in case you moron's forgot is The Allman Brothers Band site. Not some dork hang out where nimrod's come to tell how the orange man is so bad, and how they have got their shot's like some flea infested Heinz 57 cat turd eating mutt that chases parked car's.

Oh please, tell us one more time how you've done your part to help stop the spread of boogy man. All your little side effect's, and the one's that feel just flat out chipper. Duane woulda kicked his boot up your ass and out your spew hole if he heard the panty waist, limp wristed crap yall are writing on here. Go buy ya an Anthology of The View, or an Obama & Big Mike go bobbing for gum ball's dvd set.

Just please get the hell off this site and quit degrading the brothers.

Posted : May 11, 2022 10:44 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member

1 post in the last three months and Luke is fired up!

I sat across a restaurant table from somebody who said they tested positive for covid 3 days later.

This thing isn't going away, so such is life, one more thing just to live with it being around.

Posted : May 11, 2022 10:55 pm
DOVETAIL
(@dovetail)
Reputable Member

@luke If he were alive, I'm positive Duane would be delighted you are speaking for him with such eloquence?!?!?

Posted : May 13, 2022 9:02 pm
Page 11 / 12
Share: