The Allman Brothers Band
Requiring ID to vot...

Notifications
Clear all

Requiring ID to vote and requiring signature verification on ballots is "sick"?

34 Posts
9 Users
6 Likes
theotherbrothers
(@theotherbrothers)
Estimable Member

diverting a bit from the OP - doe this strategy by Republicans in Georgia not indicate they are backed in a corner?

Posted : May 5, 2021 8:10 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @theotherbrothers

diverting a bit from the OP - doe this strategy by Republicans in Georgia not indicate they are backed in a corner?

Like many things that changed came as a result of Coronavirus, many of which will be here to stay, I think that voting has and will be forever changed going forward post-covid.  More widespread use of early voting, mail-in and absentee voting.  So as a result, I see the changes to voting procedures and timeframes as a way to make for a way that the ballots and votes can be requested, cast and received in a manner in which will allow for a smooth and efficient tabulation.  Coming out of 2020 with these new covid type voting procedures, I don't think the objection should be to why states are addressing this, perhaps the objection is better pointed at the methods put in place, but the reason to me is a new normal of voting required some new adjustments to the process.

Your previous post was quoting and responding to a "restricts mail-in voting".  However, in Georgia, while they did shorten the time where a person can request a mail-in ballot, it is 78 days now.  Why is over two months to request a ballot problem?  The ballot application must be received 11 days before the election, there has to be appropriate time for the elections office to receive the request, issue the ballot and then receive the completed ballot back.  So this window must be defined in some manner, perhaps 11 days is a little much - rather I'd make it 7 days personally.  So 4 days off shouldn't be too restrictive should it?  By making it 11 days, Georgia joins with about a dozen states total that have a deadline greater than 7 days out.  Previously most counties in Georgia allowed the ballot request to be made until the Friday before the election, than in my opinion is too short of a timeframe, again, I think a week or 7 days would've been more appropriate, but at the same time 11 days isn't some huge problem I wouldn't think.  Only voters who request ballots will receive one.  Why is that a problem? 

Georgia did not eliminate no-excuse absentee ballots.  1/3 of the states in the country do require and excuse or reason to cast absentee.  Georgia does not.  This is good, right?

I actually do think there are some good provisions in this bill.  Some right sized provisions and a few questionable provisions.  It isn't all bad and it isn't all good.

Posted : May 6, 2021 8:34 am
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @jerry

@nebish

I just went to the link and I couldn't read any of it.  It came back as a Korean news article.

Yeah I know.  Weird.  I assume it was not a Korean article when you first posted it here!  I did reference the CBS link again this morning and on my phone it will only give me 2 paragraphs.  If I use something more like a real computer I can access the entire article.

Posted : May 6, 2021 8:35 am
(@2112)
Famed Member

Posted by: @theotherbrothers

Clearly, they didn't do this to help the Democrats chances, so yeah I guess you could say they see themselves as being backed into a corner. The Republicans are masterful strategists. They have Gerrymandered some states like North Carolina and Ohio so much that it will take well over a generation for that advantage to go away, and now in states like Georgia and Arizona where there is clearly a blue shift, they are going to do what they can to delay the inevitable. They seem to see the inevitable in Texas as well, although this still may be a few election cycles in the future there. Texas picking up a couple congressional districts while the Republicans still get to draw the maps is huge for them. Although the country has had an overall blue shift in the last decade, the Republicans have certainly set the table to limit that impact.

Posted : May 6, 2021 1:08 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: