Clear all

NFL Football Thread

397 Posts
12 Users
61 Likes
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Good comeback for the Pack yesterday. Looking at the team with the glass half full I think we have a future AllPro in Watson if he can stay healthy as he is just a dynamic talent. I think we could have talented WR corps next year with Watson, Doubs and Toure. Gute takes a lot of grief for his drafts, in some case justified, but I think he hit a homerun with this past years draft. Now all we need to find is a dynamic TE as I am not convinced Tonyan and Deguera are the answer.

Never say never, as the Pack is not eliminated yet, but I think the chance of making the playoffs is pretty slim so I think they need to start looking to the future. So do i root for them to lose out the rest of the season to get a better draft position or win as many games as possible to build confidence for next year? Do I root for Rodgers to stay one more year or hope they trade him and start the rebuild?  

Posted : December 5, 2022 12:30 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

How about how far Baker Mayfield has fallen?

Once had the keys to the stadium, savior of a sad franchise. Suddenly a couple of injuries make for a bad year, and it's indicated he chased Odell out of town towards a Super Bowl team. Then the team dumps him for a rapist, and now he's waived completely by a terrible team. There is chatter the 49ers might pick him up now that JimmyG is out, which is probably the best option for a struggling yet talented QB.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : December 5, 2022 1:11 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @bill_graham

So do i root for them to lose out the rest of the season to get a better draft position or win as many games as possible to build confidence for next year?

eutawiisp9jkji5czmnm

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : December 5, 2022 1:18 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Posted by: @porkchopbob

Posted by: @bill_graham

So do i root for them to lose out the rest of the season to get a better draft position or win as many games as possible to build confidence for next year?

-- attachment is not available --

Yeah I get it and you don't want to demoralize your teams by tanking. On the other side of the coin we will need a talent infusion and with the salary cap situation so dire the only way they will get that is through the draft. Generally there is a better chance of getting a stud in the first 10 picks and the team could use some studs.

I am ok with them not tanking but at some point I think they need to let Love start and see exactly what they have as I think Rodgers is with the team one more year at best.

Posted : December 5, 2022 3:13 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@bill_graham

Dropping 5-10 spots in the draft isn't worth it to the guys on the field who are playing for contracts. Just as many players pan out in the 2nd round as the top 10. Let the Jags and the Texans keep tanking for those Top Ten picks.

Besides, got to keep building up that NFL all-time wins record.

I'd rather beat the Lions and the Vikings. They could still go 9-8, do some positive things to take into next season*. I said previously it makes no sense to rest Rodgers if he isn't 100% healthy, but he seems to be on the mend. I'd rather see him play out, especially if this is his last season in GB. Chances are the staff knows what they have in Love, it's just the fans who don't.

*assuming they don't get a Wild Card, though the Seahawks, Giants, and Commies all have pretty tough schedules remaining. Packers have 3 home games. It's still possible.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : December 5, 2022 3:50 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

@bill_graham

Dropping 5-10 spots in the draft isn't worth it to the guys on the field who are playing for contracts. Just as many players pan out in the 2nd round as the top 10. Let the Jags and the Texans keep tanking for those Top Ten picks.

Besides, got to keep building up that NFL all-time wins record.

I'd rather beat the Lions and the Vikings. They could still go 9-8, do some positive things to take into next season*. I said previously it makes no sense to rest Rodgers if he isn't 100% healthy, but he seems to be on the mend. I'd rather see him play out, especially if this is his last season in GB. Chances are the staff knows what they have in Love, it's just the fans who don't.

*assuming they don't get a Wild Card, though the Seahawks, Giants, and Commies all have pretty tough schedules remaining. Packers have 3 home games. It's still possible.

I agree with not tanking due to morale and to build confidence for next year. Can't say I agree the coaches completely know what they have in Love yet as practice is not the same as how someone performs under game conditions. He looked very good against Philly but that is a very small sample. If GB is mathematically eliminated from the playoffs IMHO they should rest Rodgers and let Love start to see how he handles it. Rodgers has already stated publicly he would be ok with that decision if it came down to it. 

They have a pretty big decision to make about picking up Love's 5th year option. He has a fully guaranteed contract for the 2023 season at a reasonable $2.3 mill but it balloons in his 5th year to $20 million in 2024. GB must decide by May 2023 if they are going to pick up that $$$ 5th year option so they really need to see if he is worth that money as they are already in cap hell so can't afford to waste $20mill if Love is not the guy after 2023.

Some very tough personnel decisions after this season as Gute went all in this season restructuring contracts and pushing money down the road. He may have to not pay some very good players like Jenkins and cut others like Jones and Bahk to get the salary cap back under control.

And at some point they have to move on from Rodgers as his salary is eating up significant cap space. At some point every team needs to bite the bullet and rebuild. You just hope you have a decent core of inexpensive talented young players so the rebuild time is short and you don't end up like the Detroit Lions never seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

This post was modified 1 year ago by Bill_Graham

Posted : December 5, 2022 5:18 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

The Lions Sleep Tonight so they say😮 - imho tho they’re awakening in the mighty jungle, seeing light at the end of the tunnel - both Pack & Det might just be playing to extend their seasons in their Jan 8 season (Rodgers?) finale at Lambeau 

can Pats run table beginning Monday w/AZ - it’s what they gotta do 

-

apologies but some games are bigger than others, we saw that when McCarthy returned to GB, article later said it was the most-watched game

(brief switch of sports)

same thing tonite - as much as everyone loves coach Cass, we can’t let his team smoke us like they have everyone else - this is our toughest game so far - they know what They’re in for too obviously, Cassidy has made sure of that

love for Bruce at the beginning, then he leaves disappointed - that’s the way it’s gotta be - watta team, we got this boys

This post was modified 1 year ago 3 times by Stephen

Posted : December 5, 2022 6:49 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

🤙good post bill_graham, yes those are brutal decisions to have to make… he’d make the job harder for front office should he play well down the stretch

….on the other hand Aaron might say, hell look at Justin Verlander, he’s 39 too, & he’s the highest-paid player in sports history….I can still play” etc

Yep two years $86M - Justin’s previous deal was 2 yrs 66M w\Hou - & he missed one of those - a $20M raise seems ridiculous to me but that’s MLB, & this is a football thread 

When/if uninjured, ‘der & ‘zer, 38, will make em forget Spahn & Sain & Will Deliver A Pennant To Mets - the team, fans & NY press will demand it

This post was modified 1 year ago 2 times by Stephen

Posted : December 5, 2022 9:40 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

So has Odell "Goldilocks" Beckham waited too long to cherry pick a team? At some point teams that are peaking aren't going to want to rock their own boat, unless they start losing WRs.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : December 8, 2022 11:00 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Once had the keys to the stadium, savior of a sad franchise. Suddenly a couple of injuries make for a bad year, and it's indicated he chased Odell out of town towards a Super Bowl team. Then the team dumps him for a rapist, and now he's waived completely by a terrible team. There is chatter the 49ers might pick him up now that JimmyG is out, which is probably the best option for a struggling yet talented QB.

And like that, Baker is...back? Nice last-minute drive to win the game for the Rams. Great first day at the new office.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : December 9, 2022 9:47 am
nebish reacted
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

If the Lions win out, they could win the division. Vikings might still get it, but it would be sooooo Vikings to fade down the stretch.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : December 12, 2022 11:15 am
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member

Minnesota's 3 losses are really really bad.  They could go 13-4 and lose the first round playoff game, wouldn't surprise anyone I know.  The D is bad, credit to the Lions - that was a huge win.  Now, can they keep that going at the Jets?

Posted : December 12, 2022 2:12 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Wow, I did not know the Lions could actually win the division. That would be something. The Lions could (or perhaps should)  have a winning record. The Bills Thanksgiving game, the prior Vikings game and one I can't think of. 

Goff gets a lot of crap but if you look at his stats they are really good. It will be interesting to see if Detroit picks a QB next year with the draft picks they have. I wouldn't. I'd address other needs. 

As to them playing the Jets next, who plays QB for them? If White is hurt, who do they go to? Seems like they won't go to Zach Wilson. I see the Lions are actually favored.

This post was modified 1 year ago 2 times by Lee

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : December 12, 2022 2:38 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@lee Lions would have to win out and the Vikes would have to lose out. Slim but possible, considering it's the Vikings.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : December 12, 2022 2:54 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

So...Jeff Saturday. Not great, Bob. What an epic disaster. Credit the Vikings for not giving up, because Saturday's squad sure seemed to.

And if not for that, we'd all be talking about the Bengals or the Jags games.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : December 19, 2022 1:11 pm
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
Illustrious Member

After the last 2 weeks I would be better off making my picks and then changing every one of them .... 

Posted : December 19, 2022 2:30 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @lee

Wow, I did not know the Lions could actually win the division.

At 2:30pm Sunday it looked like they had a decent chance. By 4:15pm the Vikings shut the door on that idea.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : December 19, 2022 3:49 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @sang

After the last 2 weeks I would be better off making my picks and then changing every one of them .... 

Yeah, I think I passed you. Surprised  

Posted : December 19, 2022 5:23 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @lee

Wow, I did not know the Lions could actually win the division.

At 2:30pm Sunday it looked like they had a decent chance. By 4:15pm the Vikings shut the door on that idea.

Yeah that second half was unbelievable. I don't care if Jeff Saturday has never coached. He is very knowledgeable about the game. That second half never should have happened. Did he really think Indy could just keep giving the ball back on every possession? This should put the thought of him remaining the permanent coach to bed.

Regarding the Lions, I never had any grand ideas of them winning the division, I just want them in the playoffs. They are playing quite well and their defense actually did a good job yesterday. 

Posted : December 19, 2022 5:28 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

A little Roy “Wrong Way” Riegels, a little keystone cops - even a little immaculate reception almost 50 yrs to the day - it had a little bit of everything - brain cramp gift wrapped just in time for Christmas in LV

Pack tonite - Lions, look at em go - GB gotta stay on their heels, & make the finale w/Det for the season - ‘win or go home’ 

tough day for Tom obviously - ya both he & the Pats aren’t what they used to be 

This post was modified 1 year ago by Stephen

Posted : December 19, 2022 7:38 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@lee I hadn't made the connection at first that it was Frank Reich who lead the Bills to that epic comeback against the Oilers. It's like he cursed the Colts on his way out the door.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : December 20, 2022 11:37 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@porkchopbob 

Yeah that game was something. I remember watching it at my "bachelor pad" with a few buddies. Somehow we all had the day off which was weird because we worked in a restaurant together. We were playing cards, betting away our tip income and the game stunk. Then it got interesting, then more interesting, etc. I imagine we were betting on it too. Sure was a great game!

Posted : December 20, 2022 6:06 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

RIP Franco Harris - 50 years almost to the day of the immaculate reception - top back of his time

Posted : December 21, 2022 8:32 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

They were going to retire his #32 this weekend too - damn - it must be a Pittsburg thing - Willie Stargell died on the day his statue was to be unveiled 

Franco holds the Super Bowl record w/354 yards rushing in 4 SBs - also 2nd all time in playoffs w/1,556 yards rushing & 16 rushing TDs - over 12 seasons of a 14-game schedule 

Posted : December 21, 2022 5:36 pm
detterm
(@detterm)
Trusted Member

My best friend from my Air Force days, 1974-80, is a Pittsburgh native and rabid sports fan. I texted my condolences to him this morning. His response was " the city weeps." He said there is only one number more revered there, #21 ( Roberto).  RIP #32

Posted : December 21, 2022 9:21 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Hadn’t known he ended his career w/a short stint in Seattle - that was surprising - but yes - 7, 8 - 21 - 33, 66…..#32 joins that pantheon of Pittsburgh immortals - I hope they win for Franco this wknd (Browns must too tho)

7 - Ben Roethlisberger, 18 years

8 - Pops, 21 years

21 - Roberto Enrique Clemente Walker, 18 years

33 - Honus Wagner, 17 years

66 - Mario Lemieux, 17 years

& others - like the late great Bruno Sammartino - he resided in the North Hills section - the newspapers called him “the Pittsburgh tough guy”

This post was modified 1 year ago 3 times by Stephen

Posted : December 22, 2022 4:48 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Credit to Buffalo - it’s their 3rd straight AFC-E title -

they’re W6 but the other 3 teams have helped - NE, NYJ & Miami are on a collective L10 -

holy snow, Buffalo, digging out from another crushing blizzard - it’s gotta be the snow magnet of the world

yeah Pats are finding remarkable ways to lose lately

Pack must beat Miami to gain tie w/Det & set up that all-or-nothing GB-Lions win-or-go-home finale next month - they’re teeing it up now - they must appreciate the decent conditions

Merry Christmas⛄️✌️🎄 

Posted : December 25, 2022 2:01 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@stephen 

The Det/GB game won't matter if Washington and the Giants win out. And Seattle holds the edge over Detroit if they tie. I don't recall how Green Bay can get in but I think they need a small miracle.

Posted : December 25, 2022 2:31 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

If they’re both 8-8 going into it & have gotten help from other teams….a berth could still be up for grabs - tougher one for Pack next week, they play MN - Lions play da Bears in Det - good game for Rodgers today, 24-38-238

Posted : December 25, 2022 5:12 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

And like that, Baker is...back? Nice last-minute drive to win the game for the Rams. Great first day at the new office.

yes Baker looks like he’s found a home in LA, 24-28-230 today, albeit against an absent Denver D but still good to see him playing well for the SB champions

Posted : December 25, 2022 11:11 pm
Page 4 / 14
Share: