208 Posts
6 Users
15 Likes
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

How about a fresh NBA thread?!

Usually November is pretty dead for the NBA, but lots of interesting stuff going down.

Bucks are undefeated, Suns are up there too.

Warriors are 3-6 trying to remember how to play together.

And of course, we have to mention the Lakers no matter where they are, and they're about the same place they were last year. Meanwhile the Nets are dumpster fire.

The Cavs, Jazz, and Blazers are all kind of surprising. We all thought Utah was blowing it up. It's early yet, anything can happen...

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : November 4, 2022 11:56 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

MN looks like a team to watch this year, Rudy Gobert should really free up KA Towns on offense, they have other good players too

same Cleveland, another ex-Jazz, Donovan Mitchell ended up there & they're going good, he & Caris Levert have had a good start

Celts are a work in progress, but we should be as good as last year - same GSW - imo, LAL will start to win (if their old players can stay healthy) - veteran presence goes a long way 

Many old faves now retired, Rajon Rondo, DeMarcus Cousins, Carmelo Anthony, Avery Bradley, Enes Kanter - great careers

Posted : November 5, 2022 12:03 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Posted by: @stephen

MN looks like a team to watch this year, Rudy Gobert should really free up KA Towns on offense, they have other good players too

No - they should be winning games w/defense but teams are scoring at will on the Wolves 

Jayl is the man, no Jays no sweat

reverse it, same thing, no Jayl no sweat - not when you got Marcus Smart as well as Jays (22 pts 15 assists) - as PCBob predicted Malcolm Brogdon is playing well for us in his crucial role off the bench

GSW has caught up in their division - like last yeeah the NBA champs & league-champ Phx will pull away & lock in for another fun battle 

that win by Indy in LA last night, Wow - that is sports - Paciz might have something this year - still think LA will heat up

Both games w/Miami are here - thought it was a home & home😳

This post was modified 1 year ago 2 times by Stephen

Posted : November 29, 2022 10:50 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

tough ones tonite in Denver & Phoenix w/Stanley Cup winners Avalanche, & league winners Suns - we handled Colo last week here - espn preview says it’s their 4th game this season, it’s only their 2nd - Chris Paul says he intends to play, he’s had a heel injury

LeBron & AD not playing tonite, & there lies the problem for LA - how they do depends almost totally on them -

whereas Phx has held the fort w/out Paul - haven’t forgotten how good they were last year

Posted : December 7, 2022 8:16 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Rout? Yes, but the coach himself said it well - “the way we played showed the respect we have for Phx”

VERY big ups to the two new coaches, no one could have expected these twin burns outta the gate (the great starts to Bruins & Celtics seasons) - we were just as sharp on the sheet tonite - Broonz (how fans pronounce Boston Bruins) - played well - sheet is hockey reference, hockey is played on a sheet of ice

hope to see robslob ahead of Saturday, he understands sports lingo - Celts won’t be like this all year bro, neither will your guys -

Jays (Jayson Tatum) & Jayl (Jaylen Brown, as any sports fan would know) 25 each tonite - VanVliet & Siakam also had 25 each for Tor

bad last possession for Warriyz, but w/Curry & Green idle, Kuminga, Poole & younger players were good -

Jazz an interesting look so far - former Memphis mainstays Mike Conley & Rudy Gay are big keys, but injury-prone

we may return to earth indeed Saturday - yet it doesn’t feel like we’re ‘overachieving’ either - no one is bragging - good one in store Sat in SF🤙🏀 -

are my posts as confusing to understand as has been mentioned? 

am a big fan, esp (especially) Boston - the sheer # (number) of posts - not to mention the hijacking of thread topics - is bad form

…phrases like “GB is 3 GB MN w/5 to play” “TB12 of TB” the jungle/song reference to Lions/MC fans, all the z ones like Flyiz, Sixiz, Bronx Bombiz, the ‘dians/guarINdians references etc, are not “reader friendly”……..I understand 

it’s the old saying I guess - “shitgoddamit love talkin about sports”😁🤙🤪 

This post was modified 1 year ago 6 times by Stephen

Posted : December 8, 2022 4:30 am
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

THIS JUST IN:  The Splash Brothers are Alive and Well and still the Champs until proven otherwise

Posted : December 11, 2022 11:49 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Yep it’s the Splash Brothers for Warriyz, Jays/Jayl for Celts…..GSW has depth, imo a big key for the champs

so is Robert Williams for us - the knee issues are ongoing - 

it’s a tough way to make a living, the tall lanky guys who have to post up/carve out position underneath/box out -

it’s what the interior lines are to football - these are large determined athletes banging bodies competing for the ball - 🏀 🏈 similar in that that’s where games in both sports are won or lost, in the trenches

….every reason to expect a finals rematch - Bucks will see what we saw, a team in top form & why they’re titlists - we’ll take 1 of 2 at least in LA

This post was modified 1 year ago by Stephen

Posted : December 11, 2022 6:18 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

RIP Paul Silas - hardly anyone was as important to those mid 70s powerhouses as he was - great defender, moved well, scored….he, Cowens, Havlicek, Don Chaney, Jojo White, Just TOP Top-Level Hoops

then went on & teamed w/DJ in Seattle for their 1979 title…..also coached

a great Celtic & great player 

Posted : December 11, 2022 10:14 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

GSW has caught up in their division - like last yeeah the NBA champs & league-champ Phx will pull away & lock in for another fun battle

same NO - like LeBron/AD in LA,  no player means as much to his team as Zion W does to them - the guy is a beast & w/their big center Jonas V, they are/will be a big handful - they too are locked in a fun race w/Memphis

those big pivotmen, crucial - yep, pivotal - we see that every day w/Big Al (out tonite)

Joel Embiid 53 points last night - Giannis, Jonas, Jusuf Nurkic, Nikola V, the Suns’ D. Ayton, obviously MVP Nikola J - 

let’s go Celts, watts team

Posted : December 12, 2022 11:08 am
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

Watched the Clippers completely smoke the Celtics last night, 113-93.  Clippers looking like the team everyone thought they would be but it's not exactly a mystery:  Paul George and Kawhi Leonard are both healthy at the same time.  Leonard looked exactly like his old self:  25 points, 9 boards, 6 assists.  Now of course the $6 Million dollar question:  Can he stay healthy??  When he is, he's one of the NBA's top ten players.  Message for Clippers' Coach Tyron Lue:  Take a cue from Steve Kerr and HOLD KAWHI LEONARD OUT OF BACK-TO-BACK GAMES.  Klay Thompson never plays in back-to-backs ever since he came back from two serious injuries.  Remember there are NO back-to-backs once you make the playoffs.  Clippers have a back-to-back Thursday night vs. Phoenix.  

California has not been real nice to the Celtics so far with two straight losses.  Let's see what they can do tonight against a much improved Lakers squad.  Great doubleheader on TNT tonight:  Warriors @ Bucks then Celtics @ Lakers.  I'll be glued all evening.

This post was modified 1 year ago 2 times by robslob

Posted : December 13, 2022 10:23 am
Stephen reacted
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Much-improved for the same reason as LAC, LeBron & AD are both healthy too - former superstar Westbrook playing pretty well off bench, he & Ben Simmons continue the Rajon Rondo way - 8 points 8 rebounds 8 assists or so - yes for sure, TOP TV twinbill tonite🏀let’s go Celts 

sigh - Al H is not w/the team on this trip (personal reasons) - who knows

Posted : December 13, 2022 10:42 am
robslob reacted
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Home court blowouts so far - we have to buck that trend later on - Embiid & Giannis as usual ruling their games - also James Harden had 17 pts & 10 assists in the first half - he’s a great all around player, & Phila’ll soon-enough be moving up, also Brklyn 

will AD have a field day, who knows - all ya gotta do is blink in our div & it changes - no Booker or key reserve Cameron Johnson & Suns suddenly L5

the team D’ll have to do it tonite, let’s go Celts

This post was modified 1 year ago 3 times by Stephen

Posted : December 13, 2022 10:17 pm
robslob reacted
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

@stephen:  Well your guys pulled it out in O.T.  Celts @ Lakers was a GREAT ballgame!  Barkley was being Barkley last night, "The Lakers are terrible" but I'm not so sure anymore.  With Anthony Davis so dominant right now and Westbrook looking like his old self only doing it coming off the bench, I guarantee nobody wants to meet them in the playoffs..........IF of course Davis stays healthy and that's always a question mark.  Darwin Ham looks like a pretty damn good Coach and of course he was under Budenholzer in Milwaukee for years.  Lakers defense is MUCH improved they are not the same horrible team they were early in the year.  Still need a couple of three point guns but you can thank GM Rob Pelinka for that.

Posted : December 14, 2022 9:23 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Yeah, good thing it wasn’t back & forth or anything😵‍💫hehe - sure hoping we’ve seen the last of those 45-12 runs - but we weren’t slacking, they went crazy - then we caught back up/pulled it out - 

great ballgame for sure - for fans w/no rooting interest - yes they saw a doozie in the latest chapter of the rivalry

for C’s/Lakers fans - same I guess - still think LA’ll beat .500 this month - or at some point :shaddap:😁

another doozie in store w/your Friday visit in Phila - 

the 3 teams below us are a combined W11 - nothing will be easy in Atlantic Div - great W, crazy one alright, Keep It Green Boys

Posted : December 14, 2022 9:56 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@robslob Bucks put the hurt on the champs last night, fun game. Only a handful of teams look really good, a lot of .500 teams, in both conferences. And who saw the Pelicans coming?

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : December 14, 2022 10:01 am
robslob reacted
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

@porkchopbob:  "Fun game" only if you're not a Warriors fan!  Yes, Bucks put a major hurtin' on us and they did it without Jrue Holiday (we were missing Andrew Wiggins).  Greek Freak spectacular as always.  Can't remember which broadcaster it was but one of them said, "Warriors will make the playoffs but right now I don't see them defending their title".  Hard for me to argue until they improve drastically on the road.  They're 11-2 at home and something like 2-12 on the road (not sure of exact numbers).  Talk about a Jekyll and Hyde outfit!  Hey, they just smoked the Celtics only four days ago in San Francisco.  Then look at last night.  I think a lot of fans forget how important a good bench is and the Warriors losses over the summer to free agency just MASSIVELY hurt their bench, both offensively and defensively.  Damian Lee, Otto Porter, Jr., Gary Payton II, Juan Toscano-Anderson.  The first two were major contributors offensively, the last two mostly defensively.  You just can't pay everybody, it's impossible and the Warriors after giving massive new contracts to Wiggins and Jordan Poole are already outspending any other franchise in the league.

Side note:  Draymond had a player ejected last night who Draymond alleges threatened his life!  I've had plenty of issues with Draymond, but man, some of these guys get drunk on their ass and think they can say anything they want from their third row seat.  Disgusting, and I'm interested to hear exactly what the dude said.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/draymond-green-ejected-fan-warriors-nba/csuegpmlv49k6w1nt8qopb4v

This post was modified 1 year ago by robslob

Posted : December 14, 2022 12:28 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@robslob It's still early, just look where the Celtics were in December 2021.

And yeah, drunk fans are never good. It's just a game, folks.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : December 14, 2022 12:39 pm
robslob reacted
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Fun slate tonite, 1st place at stake between skidding Suns & LAC w/as you said Kawhi/John Ringo likely sitting out - Suns aren’t setting, just slumping, even w/Paul back - they’ll be back

Bucks-Memphis, it’ll tell plenty, same NO-Jazz - new Jazz bigs Vanderbilt & Laurii M are coming around - Pelicos & Memphis both 18-9, see Griz a game ahead after tonite

Markelle Fultz & Magic crushed Hawks last night - 50 points in the 1sr qtr, holy ***t - they’re W4, they’ll be burnin but will only see green in snowy NE

This post was modified 1 year ago 6 times by Stephen

Posted : December 15, 2022 10:10 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

The NBA announced they are attaching player names to their awards, i.e., the Michael Jordan MVP Award, etc. That's fine, whatever, but I looked up former MVPs and was reminded that Kobe only ever won 1 MVP award, which is kind of nuts considering Steve Nash won 2.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : December 15, 2022 1:26 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Too bad the Big O was overlooked - not a bad idea overall - Wilt for the rookie award? I woulda had em in MJ’s place

just a mail-in tonite for Mil, & it’s lining up to be the same thing w/LAC-Phx tonite - it’s not just Kawhi & Paul, several LA regulars are resting

tough schedule upcoming for your guys, Utah tmrw right thru to Christmas game w/Celts

Posted : December 15, 2022 11:06 pm
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/stephen-curry-reportedly-expected-to-be-out-a-few-weeks-after-injuring-shoulder-vs-pacers-210018775.html

Curry out indefinitely with "partially dislocated shoulder".  Ouch.  This is all we need, he's often been half the team this year not that it's any news.  Weird, I saw the play.......there was no collision whatsoever.........he just reached over and tried to steal the ball from someone in an awkward position........ had his hand on the ball.......then grimaced in pain.  Freak injury for sure.  And remember it was the second game of a back-to-back.  High potential for injury in those games.  And we're in the middle of a tough six game road trip with Sixers tonight.

This post was modified 1 year ago by robslob

Posted : December 16, 2022 9:59 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Bummer for GSW, yet freak injury & all NCIs are fairly commonplace - they’re all the time in bball - Kyler Murray’s knee injury was like that, he just dropped to the ground

a pitcher left a game this past season w/a fractured elbow that fractured by itself - had never seen that b4 (Dave Dravecky’s injury was different)

Your young players, Wiggins, Moody Kucinga (sp) Poole etc might thrive w/the increased minutes - ya never know, but hopefully Steph is back quickly - all fans appreciate him - good one for Warriyz to win tonite 

🤙❄️✌️it’ll be snowin green like magic on Orl 2nite, let’s go boys

Posted : December 16, 2022 11:40 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

the 3 teams below us are a combined W11 - 

now it’s W17 - meantime we’ve lost 3 of 4 including Friday at home to lower-tier Magic in Robert Williams return - they played a lot better than their record - Orl is going good, they’re W5 - “today’s rematch will have a different outcome” (hehe🏀)

Posted : December 18, 2022 11:10 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

James Harden had 17 pts & 10 assists in the first half - he’s a great all around player, & Phila’ll soon-enough be moving up, also Brklyn 

Embiid was amazing as usual, but Harden may have been more so - 20-21-11 - yep Nets too, they beat Bucks tonite 

it’ll be all we can do to maintain 1st place - yes we got the win tonite but again had to come from behind - we averted an L4, All At Home - who knows when that last happened - thank you Jaylen, 23 points 4th quarter - green up Celts

Posted : December 23, 2022 11:14 pm
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

RE:  Brooklyn Nets, I watched them beat Milwaukee in Brooklyn the other day and they look like a COMPLETELY different team.  My assessment is that for whatever reason, Steve Nash had completely lost the locker room and was disrespected by the players.  Leaks in the press corroborated this.  Maybe they just thought that his leadership was taking them NOWHERE and they may have been correct.  Throwing someone into a coaching job with no experience works sometimes, just look at Steve Kerr.  But apparently this time it did NOT. 

Nets on a roll, but I'm waiting for Kyrie Irving to do SOMETHING to destroy it all.

Posted : December 25, 2022 9:16 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Durant & Irving are in the same groove Embiid & Harden are in right now - players like Claxton, Joe Harris, TJ Warren are making Kevin, Kyrie & Nets better - they had big props for teammate Ben Simmons’ 12-11-8 the other night -

Bklyn is a keg of dynamite going off the same way we did at start of season - same Phila - NY is suddenly L3 - so were we last week - that’s life in the Atlantic div -

it was Jays tonite - also, look at Draymond Green’s #s - 2-13-13 - just a very unique player - a little like this generation’s Dennis Rodman - watta blast🏀 

Posted : December 25, 2022 11:36 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

the 3 teams below us are a combined W11 - 

now it’s W17 -

Durant & Irving are in the same groove Embiid & Harden are in right now

& it’s still W17

repeating, Bklyn & Phila

there’s no time for rest, they’ll be right there for the duration - no foe is easy, incl Houston tonite -

Orlando was no fluke, they beat us twice here & are rolling - in addition to Markelle Fultz they have Bol Bol, Manute’s 7-2 son & a very good player - & those behemoth white-men-can’t-jump Wagner siblings, centers Franz (6-10) & Moritz (6-11) - & w/7-0 C Mo Bamba coming off the bench….Magic is surprising people 

we regroup for a solid W tonite - Sixiz likely go W9 in Wash DC

This post was modified 1 year ago 7 times by Stephen

Posted : December 27, 2022 7:39 pm
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

Luka Doncic had the very first 60-20-10 game in NBA history last night to knock off the Knicks in O.T.  I'm pissed at myself because I had it on my DVR and without knowing about Doncic's performance I deleted it!  Oh well.  Problem with Dallas is that I just don't see that they have much else besides Luka.  Any team that relies on one guy THAT much likely will not go far in the playoffs.  Just look at his game last night........and it was tied at the end of regulation!  Losing Jalen Brunson to free agency really hurt Dallas.

Posted : December 28, 2022 10:56 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Nice win last night - tho it might not show in the box score, the D did it - we paid attention to their C, I. Zubac, down the stretch - he was very effective 1st half -

but a good win w/both teams at full strength - w/a full roster LAC could go places - of course that’s the case w/many teams - for instance if Kyle Kuzma could stay healthy, NO could also be scary*

we’re back on track after that L3 last week - road trip begins Sunday in Denver, another fun one - front Nikola I say - double him/disrupt him outta his rhythm best as possible, & hope his teammates are off 

in any case, make it green 
*whoops, make that Brandon Ingram

This post was modified 1 year ago 3 times by Stephen

Posted : December 30, 2022 8:13 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

McCollum 41, Zion 36

Poole 41, Klay 31

Jays/Jayl 29 each Thurs vs LAC

No, the days of “the big 3” are gone for now

Nikola J, who we see Sunday, had his routine triple double

Luka’s 60/20/10 line recently, holy hoop - Giannis, nearly the same thing last night - 43-20-5 - hell it makes Embiid’s 37 point outburst last night seem tame -

all brilliant unselfish players

& they all only look up to LeBron

on his 38th birthday, 47 points & one assist short of a triple double in a road win

unsure what MJ was doing on His 38th birthday - but LeBron is GOTA in my book - peers half his age don’t have half the skill & will he has - few ever have - stays fit, plays hungry….

had thought LA’d clear .500 by the end of the month - they didn’t, but they’ll be around, AD or no AD - same Mil, Middleton or no Khris Middleton - 2 great-but-Injury-Prone players

Posted : December 31, 2022 6:18 am
Page 1 / 7
Share: