The Allman Brothers Band
Notifications
Clear all

Your Mount Rushmore of Drummers

Page 3 / 3
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Extraordianire

@stormyrider Philly Joe Jones is real good. Has some great licks in the above. If Miles liked him best then that is a big compliment. Miles knew music forward and backwards and inside and out. 

Gene, Buddy and several other drummers who worked in New York often in the 1930's would go to the Savoy Club in Harlem in uptown Manhattan where Chic Webb and his band was the house band. He hired Ella Fitzgerald as his singer. 

Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa and other greats of the late 30's, 1940's, 1950's etc,  all were crazy about a hunchback 4 feet tall drummer named Chic Webb. His band was top notch and Webb was incredibly fast and always right in the pocket. He had a very small kit but about 4 medal monkey skulls on his bass drum. 

Too bad Chic Webb died young in 1938 and apparently there is no known footage of him. 

Here you can tell how fast his hands and arms were. 

This post was modified 5 days ago 2 times by robertdee
ReplyQuote
Posted : January 13, 2022 9:45 pm
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Peach Extraordianire

thanks for posting. Chick Webb was a beast.

In my estimation, he's the father of big band drumming, which makes him the grandfather of all of modern drumming

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 14, 2022 12:19 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Extraordianire

@stormyrider Here is Buddy again. His command of his cymbals at the beginning here is impressive. The last third of this piece to me blows by John Bonham, Ginger Baker, Alex Van Halen etc. Apparently Buddy was the best in our lifetimes. The only thing I don't like about Buddy is only playing jazz and big band. 

I'm not a drummer so would enjoy your critique of this right here. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 14, 2022 12:39 pm
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Peach Extraordianire

that was very cool. Love the sounds out of the cymbals. The L hand roll with the right hand varying was great. The stick part was cool too - you could see his push-pull technique (which he perfected) with the L hand.

Technically, I agree, Buddy was the best. He may have been the best at drum solos. 

As we discussed before, there were other guys who were great in different ways. Elvin Jones was a dynamo - you had to be to keep up with Coltrane. It would have been interesting to see how Buddy would have done in that type of setting. It's a bit odd, IMO that Buddy didn't play much with smaller groups.

Anyway, it's all good.  I learn from all of these guys. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 14, 2022 2:44 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Extraordianire

@stormyrider Thanks for explaining the technical side of the Rich video. 

I found some Miles with Elvin on drums earlier and it is just top notch musicianship from the entire band. Miles was such an innovator and student of music. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 14, 2022 11:17 pm
Page 3 / 3
Share: