The Allman Brothers Band
Allman Brothers: Ta...

Notifications
Clear all

Allman Brothers: Tampa 1970 (Reese subs for Gregg)

10 Posts
6 Users
2 Likes
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

A partial recording of an ABB show played - supposedly - in May 1970, at Fort Homer W. Hesterly Armory, Tampa, FL. Gregg Allman is told to have been sick and replaced by Reese Wynans on Organ. Duane took over all vocal duties. This also includes a rare live version of ''Goin' Down Slow''.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : August 25, 2021 12:07 pm
CrossEyedCat
(@crosseyedcat)
Estimable Member

What does Duane say at the end, something like, "we'll be right back in 5 minutes", lets hope the rest of the show resurfaces.

Posted : August 25, 2021 12:31 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Wow Porkchopbob!!! Red Dog posted, I think it was Dickey's site, that right out of the gate this was by far the best band and chemistry anyone in the band and those associated with the band had ever had BEFORE Gregg showed up and Reece was still on keys. 

The Dog said when Gregg got to Jacksonville, Duane sat him down and they played him Trouble No More with Oakley singing and Reece on keys and those guys were really blowing hard. Gregg was very intimidated. When the song was over Gregg actually told Duane the band was too good for him and he couldn't cut the gig which caused Duane to take him out of the room for a serious talk. Gregg finally played with them and gave it all he had and the others guys were impressed with Gregg. 

Another thing about Going Down Slow, Duane is playing slide. On the aborted 3 man band album Duane was working on for Phil Walden, Duane played straight lead. I think the first time that track was released was on Duane Allman Anthology Vol. 1.

Posted : August 25, 2021 12:35 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@crosseyedcat I remember a couple of shows back then (I discovered the band and got seriously hooked in early 1970) Duane said at break time "We're going to take about a five minute break and go back there and drink some electric wine then we'll be right back".

I looked for that brand at various stores and never found any. 

Posted : August 25, 2021 12:42 pm
andyvannoy
(@andyvannoy)
Eminent Member

@robertdee I believe the electric wine comment was at ludlow garage

Posted : August 26, 2021 2:54 pm
salcapitano reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@andyvannoy What IS electric wine? Sounds as if may give one a charge!

Posted : August 26, 2021 5:20 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

@robertdee could be a reference to a special Grateful Dead blend with added flavour enhancers from Bear Owsley. 🍸 🍾 🍹 🥂 

Posted : August 26, 2021 7:17 pm
aiq
 aiq
(@aiq)
Reputable Member

I have mentioned skipping ABB shows because I often took them for granted as they played so much in the area.

This is one where I said “I’ll catch them next time.”

(facepalm) 

Posted : August 27, 2021 11:19 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@aiq This is a high energy show. Gregg's vocals of course are missed and his unique organ playing but the rest of the band is very good. 

Gives a perspective of how Gregg reacted when he heard them play the first time in Jacksonville and was intimidated and told Duane Allman he couldn't cut the gig. 

Posted : August 27, 2021 12:43 pm
aiq reacted
aiq
 aiq
(@aiq)
Reputable Member

I have heard a recording, love it for the jamming.

Posted : August 30, 2021 12:29 pm
Share: