pixielf
(@pixielf)
Honorable Member

Cool!  Love the graphics!  

Posted : June 14, 2021 1:24 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Eric Clapton is one of the most famous people on the planet. Apparently still able to pack at 30,000 seat arena.  

And he often will sit in with other musicians who aren't as famous as he is. 

In 2009 when Warren Haynes introduced him at the 40th anniversary shows and he walked out I saw Otiel look at Clapton and smile and while Clapton was plugging in his Strat suddenly I could see on everyone in the Allman Brothers faces except Derek Trucks that it was a big deal. That this man is more famous than anybody who had ever been in the Allman Brothers and even more famous than the Allman Brothers Band itself. 

I imagine the reason Derek seemed to respond with a "business as usual" attitude is because he had been invited to be in Clapton band for a good number of shows and got use to being around him. 

This post was modified 3 years ago by robertdee

Posted : June 14, 2021 2:49 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Very cool robertdee, seeing the Brothers flip w/happiness as EC walked onto the stage - “EC is here!! When was the last time, must’ve been those Criteria Studios jams w/Duane” that many years later appeared on the Layla box

yes his fame is global & beyond🌎

This post was modified 3 years ago by Stephen

Posted : June 15, 2021 8:31 am
aiq
 aiq
(@aiq)
Reputable Member

So many clouds, so much yelling.

Posted : June 16, 2021 11:46 am
PorkchopBob reacted
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

@robertdee 

Derek opened a tour for him. I don't think he was in Clapton's band. At least not when I saw them.

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : June 16, 2021 5:38 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@lee 

Derek toured in Clapton's band in maybe 2007.

https://www.whereseric.com/eric-clapton-tour/11/03/2007

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimclash/2015/08/12/derek-trucks-talks-allman-brothers-eric-clapton-american-idol/?sh=71ec96e51ee8

JC: How did you end up on the big 2006-2007 international tour with Eric Clapton?

DT: It was pretty surreal. I was actually at home, one of the few times I had a few days off, playing cards with my whole family. I get a call, and it was international. I didn’t know that number, so off to voicemail. Later I checked the message, and it’s from Eric saying he had a project in mind. I didn’t know him – we had only met briefly years before. I played [the message] for my dad – it thrilled him. So he said, “I’m done, I’m not playing any more cards. I’m going to go brag to my friends!” [laughs]. I flew out and did this record [The Road To Escondido] with Eric, JJ Cale and Billy Preston, who ended up passing not long after. It was an amazing experience, and a few tracks into that session, [Eric] asked me to do the full year tour.

JC: I’ve heard that Clapton's old band, Derek And The Dominos, was an inspiration for your first name.

DT: Yeah, that music was floating around in my house, the Layla record. My parents were huge fans of that period of Eric's stuff. I think it had something to do with the name, if not the spelling.

JC: It must be interesting when you play those songs on stage with Eric knowing the name connection?

DT: We ended up playing most of that album, the Layla record, on the tour. It was pretty surreal because The Allman Brothers’ Eat A Peach and Live At The Fillmore East, and the Eric Clapton Layla record was the music I grew up hearing all the time. I remember a festival we did in Denmark with the Clapton band where you suddenly realize it’s an actual band - and you’re on an equal stage playing music together. The pedestal you keep people on kind of disappears for a brief moment. I remember having it with The Allman Brothers, too. You remember the exact moment it happens when you look over and say, “Oh yeah, I’m playing music with this guy!”

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : June 17, 2021 11:36 am
Share: