The Allman Brothers Band
Bill Wyman's Gibson...

Notifications
Clear all

Bill Wyman's Gibson 1956 Les Paul Custom link to ABB?

6 Posts
3 Users
2 Likes
CrossEyedCat
(@crosseyedcat)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Not sure if this has been raised previously, I came across this video while surfing, there an ABB reference at 07:08. The video is from last year and Wyman was selling a Gibson 1956 black Les Paul Custom (6 8945) which was in a case marked with name of the band before the Allman Brothers (so not sure if it was Allman Joys, Hourglass or earlier). I checked the auction results and the guitar doesn't appear so probably pulled. I know Gregg played a black Les Paul Custom mid 70s and I know just because the case is marked Allman doesn't mean the guitar matches the case but I thought it was interesting the case and guitar was in the possession of Wyman and what the history of the guitar might be.

Posted : June 14, 2021 8:30 am
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

I've seen pictures of Duane and Gregg playing a black Les Paul.  The one in Bill's video has black (-90 (soapbar) pickups - similar to those on a Les Paul Special.  I can't find a decent color photo of the LP played by Duane/Gregg but I seem to remember those PU's being humbuckers of some sort (PF's?).  I was also hoping to check the top of the guitar.  Bill's shows noticeable missing paint on the top (near the pu's).  Of course this wear might've come from another player.  Keep in mind Duane's relationship to Delaney Bramlett - who was buds with some of the British players (George Harrison).  Regardless, it's a great guitar!  Also, I love Bill Wyman.  There's a great documentary that features his archives of Rolling Stones instruments and memorabilia titled, "The Quiet One" - certainly worth checking out.

Posted : June 14, 2021 10:14 am
CrossEyedCat
(@crosseyedcat)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

@rusty This one?

According to groundguitar.com, this is a Les Paul Custom (serial number 537837) sold at the same auction site for $50k. It has a different serial number to the Wyman one.

Posted : June 14, 2021 11:27 am
Rusty reacted
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

@crosseyedcat  Right.  Obviously the one in your picture is not the one in Bill's video.  No mention of the specific name on the case raises suspicion.  Hourglass .. Hour Glass .. THE Hourglass?  I'm sure that moniker got used more than once throughout the world.  P-90's and PAFs - my fingers ain't typin' well today.  😉 

Posted : June 14, 2021 11:44 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@crosseyedcat The first 3 or 4 times I saw the band in spring of 1970, Duane played a Goldtop Les Paul. And Dickey played the Stratocaster in this picture. 

In the Muscle Shoals pictures of Duane he is playing a Stratocaster too. 1969 ABB photos I've seen Duane had the Goldtop and Dickey an ES-335 or 345. 

I've seen one photo of Duane in the ABB with an ES-335 that is a tobacco burst. Apparently that is the Gibson Dickey gave Eddy Shaver as a guitar owned by Duane. Dickey also gave Eddy an old 1955 Stratocaster that he got from Gregg for an old car. The Strat was Eddy's number one and Willie Nelson has both guitars now last I read. 

I remember Gregg playing a black Les Paul in 1973 with the ABB. Guess it's possible that is it in the picture of Duane and Dickey. 

I don't claim to be an authority. They played 350 shows in 1970 and I saw perhaps 25. Duane could have played a tuba at some shows and odds are I would have missed it. 

Posted : June 14, 2021 12:08 pm
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

That removable second plate on the back for (as Bill said) "stashing your drugs through Customs" shows some  Duane/Twiggs level of genius!  😉 

Posted : June 14, 2021 1:23 pm
CrossEyedCat reacted
Share: