The Allman Brothers Band
new "Mad Dogs & Eng...

Notifications
Clear all

new "Mad Dogs & Englishmen" film has 70s stuff plus 2015 Lockn!!

10 Posts
5 Users
4 Likes
JimSheridan
(@jimsheridan)
Noble Member
Topic starter

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/joe-cocker-mad-dogs-englishmen-tour-documentary-1220976/

I wonder if this means we will not get a video of the complete Lockn show?

Posted : September 17, 2021 12:13 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

It sounds that way Jim. That was such a high energy tour that it wasn't surprising they did do it again. There were leaks to the rock press about all the difficulty they were having just touring together. 

I was disappointed to read Jim Gordon punched Rita Coolidge in the face real hard! 

Posted : September 17, 2021 12:57 pm
pixielf
(@pixielf)
Honorable Member

"just myself and 40 friends, in the name of Cocker Power"  

This looks amazing!! Mad Dogs & Englishmen has always been one of my favorite live albums. Thank you, Derek, for your dedication to this fabulous project.  Leon was pure genious!

Posted : September 17, 2021 2:55 pm
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

Posted by: @robertdee

It sounds that way Jim. That was such a high energy tour that it wasn't surprising they did do it again. There were leaks to the rock press about all the difficulty they were having just touring together. 

I was disappointed to read Jim Gordon punched Rita Coolidge in the face real hard! 

Almost as bad:  Jim Gordon literally stealing the Layla piano coda from her.  Bad on Clapton and his management for basically being enablers to Gordon's assholery.  Gordon was obviously a sociopath.  Somebody in the band should've stood up to him - thrown him out on his arse.  

Posted : September 17, 2021 3:54 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@rusty Great drummer but awful human being. Apparently off his rocker and dangerous. Yes he cost Rita a lot of money by stealing the Layla coda. Rita was told to get in touch with Robert Stigwood, Clapton's manager, and Stigwood told her to BLANK off and hung up on her. Poor girl was abused going and coming. 

Posted : September 17, 2021 4:30 pm
Rusty reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@rusty

Jim Gordon stole this from Rita Coolidge. The world famous Layla has stolen music on the coda. 

For a few years back in the 1970's Bobby Whitlock would talk in interviews as if that was him on piano. But it's Jim Gordon. 

I'm sure glad Duane Allman didn't take up Clapton on the offer to join the Dominos. The band wasn't nice guys. Clapton with his racist rant just a few years later and Jim Gordon exploding over some dispute with his OWN MOTHER and he beats her to death with a hammer. 

And Bobby Whitlock. I don't know what to think of him. Not sure he tells the truth with his recollections. Bobby just recently said Duane Allman couldn't be in the Dominos because he couldn't play on that level. 

Duane would have been in a very negative band full of downers. A band that couldn't possibly stay together for more than a year. And it didn't. 

It should have been called Derek and The Devil's Brew. 

Posted : September 17, 2021 5:45 pm
Rusty reacted
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

I've read some of Whitlock's comments - not sure what to make of them or him.  I'm sure that he probably always resented being made to sit in the backseat while Duane rode shotgun.  I read where he called Duane an "inconsistent player".  From what I've read about Duane, he had days as a studio sideman (Shoals) when he, "just wasn't feelin' it today" - and would just leave the session.  I don't know if this is what Whitlock is referring to.   As a Duane fan, I kinda resent him sayin' stuff like this when nobody's around to refute it.  I'd love to hear what Clapton thinks about Whitlock's comments on Duane.

This post was modified 3 years ago by Rusty

Posted : September 17, 2021 5:57 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@rusty Tom Dowd said they were on the wrong drugs when they began working on the Layla album and it was going nowhere. Just nowhere. Tom knew the Allman Brothers were playing in town and that Clapton had called Atlantic Records to find out who was playing electric guitar on Wilson Pickett's cover of Hey Jude. BTW, it was Duane Allman who talked Wilson into covering the song. Everyone was skeptical because the Beatles' version was on the charts then! So they did a run through and Wilson Pickett sang "Hey Jew" so the stopped him and said " It's hey JUDE! not Jew". I met Wilson Pickett once and he liked everyone. He wasn't a racist. Just an honest mistake. Anyway Tom Dowd was hoping when Clapton heard Duane was in town and they could go down there and watch the set, he was hoping it would give the album the shot in the arm it needed. Well Clapton insisted Duane PLAY on the album and as those who heard the story can testify, Tom Dowd said Duane Allman put the fire in that session and saved the album. 

This post was modified 3 years ago by robertdee

Posted : September 17, 2021 6:09 pm
Rusty reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Duane put the fire into that session. More classic playing. This has been heard millions of times over speakers all over the world for 50;years! 

It's hard to listen to this when you think about Jim Gordon is on drums so I try to put it out of my mind. 

I've heard Joe Cocker was afraid of Jim. 

This post was modified 3 years ago 4 times by robertdee

Posted : September 17, 2021 6:12 pm
owencarol
(@owencarol)
Estimable Member

Let me just start by saying the original ABB is my favorite band by far and I am 71 years old. Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs is my favorite album. That may seem to be a dichotomy but not to my ears and thinking. Duane and Tom Dowd's contribution is critical to the music. Listening to live Derek and the Dominoes, without Duane, was, in my opinion, an inferior product, just didn't have the magic. The live tracks with Duane I've heard leave a lot to be desired as well. Now to the point, whether Jim Gordon ripped the coda from Rita Coolidge will never be know by any other individuals than Rita and Jim. Her interpretation may have changed over time, like so many others. Why not just stop the hate and just recognize Layla is one intense composition and has incredible magic. Tow Dowd and his wizardry is the secret that I rarely hear mentioned. As previously stated the sessions were not going well, for a variety of reasons, and Duane's appearance turned things around. Can't we all just appreciate that realization?

Posted : September 25, 2021 3:17 pm
Stephen reacted
Share: