The Allman Brothers Band
Notifications
Clear all

Midnight in Harlem - Song for Katie by Larry Carlton

rationalrebel
(@rationalrebel)
Peach Pro

I went and saw Larry Friday night and it was outstanding, especially for not having a rehearsal. Leading up to the evening I dusted off some old albums and was listening to the 1982 album 'Sleepwalk'. Track 3 on the album, "Song for Katie", was playing and (perhaps this has been discussed before), I realize that TTB's 'Midnight in Harlem' is pretty much that song, at least the initial rhythm line and the primarily lick of 'Midnight'. I had never noticed and put it together. I meant to ask Larry if he had heard Susan & Derek's song, but forgot to; here is the studio version. 

And randomly came across this gem, thought some of you may enjoy

Topic starter Posted : July 21, 2021 8:23 pm
Rusty liked
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Ultimate Peach

I saw Larry with Joe Pass back in the 70,'s at a music hall in Virginia. This Duck song is one I remember. 

Larry had the typical ES-335 tone similar to B. B. King and he was smooth. It was nice to enjoying good musicians not playing so loud. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 22, 2021 7:48 am
RCgp2020
(@rcgp2020)
Peach Master

I was amazed when I did some reading up on Larry Carlton. I was aware that he did some playing as a studio guy. But didn't realize how much playing he's got in his collection.

He is truly the go to person when it came to guitar tracks for a number of bands.

I really like his soft sound, and the fact that he plays a Gibson ES 335 speaks for itself.

Thanks for posting about this great guitarist..

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 24, 2021 10:29 am
Share: