Midnight in Harlem - Song for Katie by Larry Carlton

5 Posts
4 Users
1 Likes
rationalrebel
(@rationalrebel)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I went and saw Larry Friday night and it was outstanding, especially for not having a rehearsal. Leading up to the evening I dusted off some old albums and was listening to the 1982 album 'Sleepwalk'. Track 3 on the album, "Song for Katie", was playing and (perhaps this has been discussed before), I realize that TTB's 'Midnight in Harlem' is pretty much that song, at least the initial rhythm line and the primarily lick of 'Midnight'. I had never noticed and put it together. I meant to ask Larry if he had heard Susan & Derek's song, but forgot to; here is the studio version. 

And randomly came across this gem, thought some of you may enjoy

Posted : July 21, 2021 8:23 pm
Rusty reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

I saw Larry with Joe Pass back in the 70,'s at a music hall in Virginia. This Duck song is one I remember. 

Larry had the typical ES-335 tone similar to B. B. King and he was smooth. It was nice to enjoying good musicians not playing so loud. 

Posted : July 22, 2021 7:48 am
RCgp2020
(@rcgp2020)
Estimable Member

I was amazed when I did some reading up on Larry Carlton. I was aware that he did some playing as a studio guy. But didn't realize how much playing he's got in his collection.

He is truly the go to person when it came to guitar tracks for a number of bands.

I really like his soft sound, and the fact that he plays a Gibson ES 335 speaks for itself.

Thanks for posting about this great guitarist..

Posted : July 24, 2021 10:29 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Little off topic. Looking for a place to put this. This is a guitarist I saw sometime back. Went because David Koz was specifically billed on saxophone. David toured with the Allman Brothers in 1991. 

This performance is spacy and cosmic. Makes me think of High Falls meets smooth jazz. Nice guitar tone and playing kinda like a Larry Carlton vibe. Here is Cory Wong!

And Dave Koz.

This post was modified 3 years ago 4 times by robertdee

Posted : August 4, 2021 2:00 pm
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

@rcgp2020:

"He is truly the go to person when it came to guitar tracks for a number of bands."

I saw a Steely Dan documentary once where Donald Fagen talked about the recording of their record "Aja".  Fagen:  "We went through all kinds of guitar players but just could NOT find anyone who could nail the sound we wanted.  Then Larry Carlton walked in one day.  Only then did the record start to come together."

Posted : August 6, 2021 2:19 pm
Share: