32 Posts
11 Users
21 Likes
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Videos below

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/the-black-crowes-kick-off-shake-your-money-maker-tour-in-nashville-video/

Tuesday night, THE BLACK CROWES kicked off their highly anticipated "Shake Your Money Maker" tour to a sold-out crowd at the Ascend Amphitheater in Nashville, Tennessee, marking one of the first major rock-tours to return since the start of the pandemic.

Celebrating the 30th anniversary of their debut, multiplatinum album ("Shake Your Money Maker", 1990), THE BLACK CROWES took to the stage as the sun set over Nashville and thrilled the crowd by playing their iconic record in full. The juke-joint inspired set, complete with a jukebox and full-bar, set the scene as the first cords of "Twice As Hard" rang throughout the southern, summer air as lead singer Chris Robinson and guitarist Rich Robinson took the stage with longtime bassist Sven Pipien. The band delivered a blistering two-hour set packed with hits, including "Jealous Again", "Sister Luck", "Hard To Handle" and "She Talks To Angels" before closing the show with a roaring encore of their chart-topping ballad "Remedy".

The setlist was as follows:

01. Twice As Hard
02. Jealous Again
03. Sister Luck
04. Could I've Been So Blind
05. Seeing Things
06. Hard To Handle
07. Thick N' Thin
08. She Talks To Angels
09. Struttin Blues
10. Stare It Cold
11. No Speak
12. Go Faster
13. Hotel Illness
14. Hi-Head Blues
15. Good Friday
16. Wiser Time
17. Thorn In My Pride
18. Sting Me
19. Soul Singing

Encore:

20. Remedy

Produced by Live Nation, THE BLACK CROWES' "Shake Your Money Maker" tour will be playing 37-dates across the country before ending the tour at Bethel Woods Center for the Arts in Bethel, New York on September 25. Most recently announced, the band is also set to perform at the legendary New Orleans Jazz Fest on Friday, October 8 and Stagecoach on May 1, 2022.

Joining Chris and Rich in the new BLACK CROWES lineup are Pipien, who played with the band live from 1997 up until the band's hiatus in 2015, along with Brian Griffin on drums, Joel Robinow on keyboards and Isaiah Mitchell on guitar, plus backup singers Mackenzie Adams and Leslie Grant.

Asked what was behind the decision to reform THE BLACK CROWES without founding member/drummer Steve Gorman, who penned 2019's memoir "Hard To Handle: The Life And Death Of The Black Crowes", Rich told to Long Island Weekly: "Steve was one of the incredibly negative and manipulative forces in the band that we really didn't want to deal with. In order to get back, we really had to do this very specific purge where we focus on the two of us and let this be something that will be positive. We can be in charge of our own triggers, but if you have other people around that have an agenda, which a lot of the older people around did, it’s just going to crash and burn. We didn’t look at this as a one-time thing. We want to focus and do it right for ourselves as human beings. For ourselves as brothers. For ourselves as writing and creative partners as well as the other reasons."

In a February 2020 interview with Meltdown of Detroit's WRIF radio station, Gorman said that he was not surprised to see Chris and Rich teaming up with new musicians for a tour. "To me, it's been an inevitability for years," Steve said."I think they both made serious efforts to establish themselves in solo careers that could sustain them, that could provide a living, and I guess that neither one of those really worked out. And so they were always gonna need to be THE BLACK CROWES again. And this tour is an indication of the fact that, to them, they always were THE BLACK CROWES. And to me, THE BLACK CROWES was a band. It wasn't about their band; it was our band. It was six people, or it was five people, or it was four people, depending on the year, but it was always a much greater thing than two brothers who wrote the songs. The success of that band had a lot to do with a lot more than just them, is my point. And the thing that was most special about that band, as I said before, was what six people were able to do when we were on the same page."

Gorman went on to say that he doesn't necessarily fault the Robinson brothers for wanting to keep THE BLACK CROWES brand alive.

"This tour has nothing to do with me — it never did; it never would have," he explained. "THE BLACK CROWES are my past. Now, the music is still around. And if anybody goes to see this tour and decides that they love THE BLACK CROWES now, I think that's fantastic. I'm all for preserving the legacy of the band I was in. I think this tour has nothing to do with that. I think this tour is the two of them needing money. And to that I say — and that's fine. I know what it's like to be concerned about my finances; everybody does. And if you're in your 50s and you can make a living playing music, then, by God, you should be playing music, if that's what you wanna do. So, they're fully within their rights to do it — legally and ethically and morally; whatever. It's fine. It's got nothing to do with me. So, live and let live."

"Shake Your Money Maker" was re-released in multi-formats sets in February through UMe/American Recordings. The album, fueled by singles "Jealous Again", "Twice As Hard", "She Talks To Angels" and a cover of fellow Georgian Otis Redding's "Hard To Handle", has sold over five million copies.

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : July 21, 2021 1:19 pm
matt05
(@matt05)
Noble Member

they sound good

Posted : July 22, 2021 12:40 am
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @matt05

they sound good

I thought so too.

The fan dedicated podcast "State Of Amorica" had a opening night review from a fan.

https://www.podparadise.com/Podcast/1463302176/Listen/1626897861/0

Posted : July 22, 2021 8:36 am
matt05 reacted
JimSheridan
(@jimsheridan)
Noble Member

I've always been impressed by how strong Chris's voice has been in concert. To me, it is inexplicable how a guy can party that hard but still have a voice sound that good. 

Posted : July 22, 2021 11:01 am
matt05 reacted
WarEagleRK
(@wareaglerk)
Noble Member

Was at both Nashville shows. I got lawn tickets for both as they are one of my 2 or 3 favorite bands. They weren't sold out shows, but really packed. I was able to move up from the lawn to a much closer seat. I was skeptical and like many this lineup isn't MY Black Crowes, but this is a really good rock show. Very glad I got tickets and I might even head to Birmingham to see it again. Chris' voice sounded better than it has in years and while I will always miss Steve Gorman & Marc Ford this band did the songs justice. 

This post was modified 3 years ago by WarEagleRK

Posted : July 23, 2021 9:44 am
matt05 reacted
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @wareaglerk

Was at both Nashville shows. I got lawn tickets for both as they are one of my 2 or 3 favorite bands. They weren't sold out shows, but really packed. I was able to move up from the lawn to a much closer seat. I was skeptical and like many this lineup isn't MY Black Crowes, but this is a really good rock show. Very glad I got tickets and I might even head to Birmingham to see it again. Chris' voice sounded better than it has in years and while I will always miss Steve Gorman & Marc Ford this band did the songs justice. 

Beside the SYMM tracks, were the other songs the same both nights or different? How was Isiah Mitchell on guitar? I just found out a couple of weeks ago Sven was back in. They also got a different drummer too.

Here is a really good interview with Steve Gorman(he always is a good one.) He talks about drumming ,influences his career and etc. At the 78min he gets into the Brothers. He does not hold back.

Posted : July 23, 2021 10:22 am
WarEagleRK
(@wareaglerk)
Noble Member

Posted by: @jszfunk

Beside the SYMM tracks, were the other songs the same both nights or different? How was Isiah Mitchell on guitar? I just found out a couple of weeks ago Sven was back in. They also got a different drummer too.

Here is a really good interview with Steve Gorman(he always is a good one.) He talks about drumming ,influences his career and etc. At the 78min he gets into the Brothers. He does not hold back.

There were three songs different from night 1 and night 2, they started with the whole SYMM album front to back then went into the rest of the show.

Having never heard Isiah Mitchell before other than on the clips online of him playing last year with those Crowes teaser shows, I was impressed. He played well and played with respect to the songs. I'll always miss Marc Ford being there, but they have done a great job over the years in selecting guitarists. 

The new drummer was fine, he's not Gorman but far better than what I had heard with the guy they originally were going to use. 

Here are the set lists. (You can get them on http://www.crowesbase.com/)

Night 1

Twice As Hard
Jealous Again
Sister Luck
Could I've Been So Blind
Seeing Things
Hard To Handle
Thick N' Thin
She Talks To Angels
Struttin' Blues
Stare It Cold
No Speak No Slave
Go Faster
Hotel Illness
High Head Blues
Good Friday
Wiser Time
Thorn In My Pride
Sting Me
Soul Singing
- encore -
Remedy

Night 2

Twice As Hard
Jealous Again
Sister Luck
Could I've Been So Blind
Seeing Things
Hard To Handle
Thick N' Thin
She Talks To Angels
Struttin' Blues
Stare It Cold
No Speak No Slave
Kicking My Heart Around
Sting Me
My Morning Song
Wiser Time
Thorn In My Pride
Soul Singing
Remedy
- encore -
Its Only Rock N Roll

Posted : July 23, 2021 10:30 am
matt05 reacted
WarEagleRK
(@wareaglerk)
Noble Member

Did you forget to link the interview? It didn't show up for me. 

Posted : July 23, 2021 10:31 am
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Did you forget to link the interview? It didn't show up for me. 

That would help,huh?! Sorry about that.

https://www.drummersresource.com/steve-gorman-interview/

Posted : July 23, 2021 12:11 pm
WarEagleRK reacted
Buckeye
(@buckeye)
Estimable Member

By the song selection they are really tailoring this to their 'hits' for casual fans.  

Not big sellers, but I thought "War Paint" and "Before the Frost" were brilliant albums and only surpassed by "Southern Harmony..." in excellence.  These were great shows to see.

Posted : July 23, 2021 12:53 pm
WarEagleRK
(@wareaglerk)
Noble Member

Posted by: @buckeye

By the song selection they are really tailoring this to their 'hits' for casual fans.  

Not big sellers, but I thought "War Paint" and "Before the Frost" were brilliant albums and only surpassed by "Southern Harmony..." in excellence.  These were great shows to see.

The 1st 10 songs are from Shake Your Money Maker, so half of the set is already determined for this tour since they are paying tribute to it's 30th (31st) Anniversary.

I think both of those albums are underlooked in their catalog because so many fans had dropped off by 2008 when War Paint came out. Both are really strong albums. 

Posted : July 23, 2021 1:23 pm
matt05 reacted
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

@buckeye I don't disagree buck but I think they have to play the hits to draw fans. If they played less popular songs I think they would have even more problems selling tickets once thed online reviews started circulating.

Would love some new music from them and then maybe another tour to support where they could dig deeper into the catalog

Posted : July 23, 2021 1:25 pm
Buckeye
(@buckeye)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @buckeye

The 1st 10 songs are from Shake Your Money Maker, so half of the set is already determined for this tour since they are paying tribute to it's 30th (31st) Anniversary.

I think both of those albums are underlooked in their catalog because so many fans had dropped off by 2008 when War Paint came out. Both are really strong albums. 

Yes it is the 30th so makes sense those early songs would dominate.  I really came to love the more Americana side of the later Crowes.

Posted : July 23, 2021 2:35 pm
matt05 reacted
matt05
(@matt05)
Noble Member

when is the last time the band played "kickin my heart around" prior to this tour? are "my morning song", "go faster", "high head blues", "hotel illness" and "no speak no slave" BIG HITS and i'm not aware or it?

looks like they are doing a great 1990-2000 setlist for this tour plus "soul singing". i imagine some more switches but i'm still guessing the songs that get rotated in are all from the bands first 10 years other than maybe they throw in "lickin" or maybe a song or 2 from warpaint and before the frost

Posted : July 24, 2021 2:31 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

when is the last time the band played "kickin my heart around" prior to this tour? are "my morning song", "go faster", "high head blues", "hotel illness" and "no speak no slave" BIG HITS and i'm not aware or it?

looks like they are doing a great 1990-2000 setlist for this tour plus "soul singing". i imagine some more switches but i'm still guessing the songs that get rotated in are all from the bands first 10 years other than maybe they throw in "lickin" or maybe a song or 2 from warpaint and before the frost

I love that song and the album "By Your Side" as a whole. It kind of reminds me of "Shake You Moneymaker" but with more of an edge. I saw them when the album came out in 1999 I think and so they were promoting it of course. I think they only did a couple of songs off SYMM so if you went there expecting that you might have been disappointed. 

And like WarEagle said, about half of the show is predetermined. I kind of have mixed thoughts on bands doing that. On the one hand, if you really like the album they are doing, then you will probably be happy. If you like not knowing what is next, well? I've seen Springsteen, Steve Earle and Mule do this. Bruce's show was freaking loooooooooooooooong because he did a double album. 

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : July 25, 2021 8:18 am
matt05 reacted
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Never said they were only playing hits only that they need to play their hits this tour as they have been away a long time and need to get the casual fans to want to come to their concerts again

They were reduced to playing small venues when they broke up and are now trying to fill 15-20K sheds this tour at major act ticket prices. Maybe they sell a lot of last minute tickets but the New England shows are not selling well right now. We will see if they can keep it going.

I think they are smart playing their debut album if they had two pick one as it has some of their most recognizable songs on it. Hopefully future tours dig deeper into their later albums.

This post was modified 3 years ago by Bill_Graham

Posted : July 25, 2021 9:11 am
matt05 reacted
Buckeye
(@buckeye)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @bill_graham

Never said they were only playing hits only that they need to play their hits this tour as they have been away a long time and need to get the casual fans to want to come to their concerts again

They were reduced to playing small venues when they broke up and are now trying to fill 15-20K sheds this tour at major act ticket prices. Maybe they sell a lot of last minute tickets but the New England shows are not selling well right now. We will see if they can keep it going.

I think they are smart playing their debut album if they had two pick one as it has some of their most recognizable songs on it. Hopefully future tours dig deeper into their later albums.

I was the first to make the hits reference.  Had a senior moment not taking into account the 30th anniversary.

"My Morning Song" is a great tune.  Especially the version on the Crowology.

Posted : July 25, 2021 10:11 am
matt05 reacted
matt05
(@matt05)
Noble Member

Posted by: @bill_graham

the tour itself is being billed as SYMM plus all the hits. i'd say they are mixing it up nicely for what its billed as

Posted : July 25, 2021 11:49 am
Bill_Graham reacted
WarEagleRK
(@wareaglerk)
Noble Member

when is the last time the band played "kickin my heart around" prior to this tour?

Posted : July 25, 2021 2:40 pm
matt05 reacted
WarEagleRK
(@wareaglerk)
Noble Member

They added in the great "Sometimes Salvation" last night. 

Posted : July 25, 2021 2:41 pm
matt05 reacted
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

Out of curiosity I just looked at the local date on Live Nation, August 22 @ Shoreline Amphitheatre.  This is a large shed which including a big lawn seats 25,000.  I was really shocked to see that here we are less than a month before the show and a good 75% of ALL of upper reserved seats remain unsold!  The best ones are either $95 or $115.  You can get in the very top of any of those 5 sections for either $59.50 or $65.00.  My budget is tight and I plan on passing on this one, especially since I have bought 3 great upcoming club shows for between $35 and $54 including all fees.  And I prefer to have good seats which for The Crowes for two with fees would run me close to $250.  I have ZERO interest in sitting on the lawn, it's like watching it on TV.

Posted : July 25, 2021 2:44 pm
Bill_Graham and matt05 reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@matt05  Yes it seems the shows are going well for the Robinsons. When a band has a huge album which they did with their first, you have to play a lot of that material or casual fans will be disappointed. 

A few weeks ago I listened to an audience tape of The Allman Brothers live at Madison Square Garden in 1973. A little hard to hear the drums and Lamar but Dickey, Gregg and Chuck had a great show. 

I can hear two guys yelling at Gregg, calling Gregg by name, yelling after every song for "Don't Keep Me Wondering". I felt sorry for them a little because I knew they wouldn't play it. As best I know, the band didn't play that song from Duane's death to sometime after Warren joined. Others were calling for songs too such as Whipping Post, Blue Sky, Melissa and others. Gregg eventually did say " We are going to play everything we know and have worked up unless they shoot us".  Melissa wasn't played either. Probably another song the Chuck, Lamar lineup didn't have worked up. 

This post was modified 3 years ago by robertdee

Posted : July 25, 2021 2:54 pm
matt05 reacted
matt05
(@matt05)
Noble Member

Posted by: @robslob

Out of curiosity I just looked at the local date on Live Nation, August 22 @ Shoreline Amphitheatre.  This is a large shed which including a big lawn seats 25,000.  I was really shocked to see that here we are less than a month before the show and a good 75% of ALL of upper reserved seats remain unsold!  The best ones are either $95 or $115.  You can get in the very top of any of those 5 sections for either $59.50 or $65.00.  My budget is tight and I plan on passing on this one, especially since I have bought 3 great upcoming club shows for between $35 and $54 including all fees.  And I prefer to have good seats which for The Crowes for two with fees would run me close to $250.  I have ZERO interest in sitting on the lawn, it's like watching it on TV.

i can do lawn if the waether is great and i know it will be a fun crowd

Posted : July 25, 2021 9:48 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Posted by: @robslob

Yeah they are struggling to sell Mansfield, MA and Hartford, CT out my way. 

I am with you in that since I have gotten older I have gotten picky about sitting in good seats at reasonable prices.

The promoters have said they are using the "dynamic pricing " principal so I will check back closer to the concerts to see if they drop prices for leftover good seats and I may bite.

This post was modified 3 years ago by Bill_Graham

Posted : July 25, 2021 11:34 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I cant remember when I listened to WarPaint and Before the Frost all the way through. The BC were billing this tour as a SYMM celebration and the hits. Chris stated this was going to be more of a "Rock" show and very little of the two prior releases mentioned above have a rock flavor. Those were Chris's "trippy dippy traveling space hipppy/ Grateful Dead influence" recordings. Not the vision of Rich's. He has even stated before. Did the BC's have hits after SYMM and SHMC? They released songs that were singles, that I really liked and thought were very,very good......but as far as being a "hit"? Maybe popular with the fan base and some casual listeners, but not a "hit" in the sense. Just the SYMM and the other well known/single released songs and some rock covers.

I would not anticipate any of the long jams they pulled out when Ford came back ,and the Luther era. Thais not happening on this tour.

Getting off subject a little. I know Chris has mentioned he and Rich have been writing , so there is a good possibility of new BC material somewhere down the line. This is just wishful thinking, but it would be pretty cool if they came up with some strong material to put RNR on the map a little more and kick that genre in the rear and start something. If not , no worries. I am sure whatever they do it will be good. There is no denying they can write music.....that has been proven.

Posted : July 26, 2021 11:00 am
matt05 reacted
matt05
(@matt05)
Noble Member

I cant remember when I listened to WarPaint and Before the Frost all the way through. The BC were billing this tour as a SYMM celebration and the hits. Chris stated this was going to be more of a "Rock" show and very little of the two prior releases mentioned above have a rock flavor. Those were Chris's "trippy dippy traveling space hipppy/ Grateful Dead influence" recordings. Not the vision of Rich's. He has even stated before. Did the BC's have hits after SYMM and SHMC? They released songs that were singles, that I really liked and thought were very,very good......but as far as being a "hit"? Maybe popular with the fan base and some casual listeners, but not a "hit" in the sense. Just the SYMM and the other well known/single released songs and some rock covers.

I would not anticipate any of the long jams they pulled out when Ford came back ,and the Luther era. Thais not happening on this tour.

Getting off subject a little. I know Chris has mentioned he and Rich have been writing , so there is a good possibility of new BC material somewhere down the line. This is just wishful thinking, but it would be pretty cool if they came up with some strong material to put RNR on the map a little more and kick that genre in the rear and start something. If not , no worries. I am sure whatever they do it will be good. There is no denying they can write music.....that has been proven.

on rock radio yes. they had 4-5 rock radio charting hits after SHMC

Posted : July 26, 2021 9:05 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I do remember hearing BC's songs/singles being played on the radio after SHMC. Lickin was the last for my ears that I can remember. Never really paid attention to their " chart" positions I guess. 

Posted : July 27, 2021 7:51 am
matt05 reacted
WarEagleRK
(@wareaglerk)
Noble Member

I do remember hearing BC's songs/singles being played on the radio after SHMC. Lickin was the last for my ears that I can remember. Never really paid attention to their " chart" positions I guess. 

Kickin' My Heart Around, Lickin', Only A Fool, Good Friday, Blackberry, Wiser Time & Soul Singing all got decent radio play when they came out, then quickly faded. 

Sirus XM played "Oh Josephine" and "Goodbye Daughters Of The Revolution" a lot when Warpaint came out as well as "I Ain't Hiding" off of Before The Frost. 

This post was modified 3 years ago by WarEagleRK

Posted : July 27, 2021 8:02 am
matt05 reacted
Chain
(@chain)
Noble Member

I’m a big fan of “Before the Frost” and think Luther Dickinson is a big reason it has a different vibe and sound to it than previous Crowe releases.  Without him I suspect it would not be as a good as it is....

Luther is after all the spawn of bluegrass royalty and grew up around many great Bluegrass players and so his presence might explain the sound i at least hear on this effort...I would have loved another release or two with Luther in the band.  

Posted : July 27, 2021 11:41 am
matt05 reacted
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member

Went to the show last night at Starlake.  Man did that feel GOOD!  Everything, the drive in, the parking lot, walking around, hanging out on the lawn between sets, the sounds, the sunset sky, and the performance!  It just all felt so good, first show I had been to since March 2020 and first show at Starlake for maybe like 10-12 years!

There were definitely rows of seats that had several empty seats consecutively, but I was somewhat impressed that it filled in decent as the show went on.  When we got there half way into the opener and during the stage change it was very empty and I was like "man, this is bad".  I'd look around occasionally when the lights shined out and it looked alright for the Crowes time.

The stage backdrop and layout was cool.  How about the bartender guy, what does he get paid you think for just standing there all show?

Chris, always the showman, was full of energy and sounded strong.  He did say Tuesday (it was Wednesday) that was just funny.

I'm not exaggerating, I think Rich changed guitars 12 straight songs until he finally took back the one he started the show with like an hour into it!

I found myself watching for some body language between Chris and Rich.  There wasn't much, but one funny moment, Chris did one of those things were he arched his back and went to lean onto Rich's back and Rich kind of gave this look like "what are you doing".

Was a good time for sure and I'd recommend going.  I'm not the type to be real analytical about who's playing what or who isn't in the band and stuff like that, it was just fun and that's what I wanted.

If any trusting soul from here is going to an upcoming show...my friend and I bought XL shirts and it is pretty small, like a large, maybe.  I can wear the large, but it isn't comfortable and my friend is tall and the shirt is short.  So advice there if you buy the #5 tour shirt atleast, it's undersized!  I could venmo or paypal $ if anyone wants to grab me a different size?  They don't have this specific shirt on their website.

Posted : July 29, 2021 11:28 am
matt05 reacted
Page 1 / 2
Share: