ABB 50 Blu Ray

37 Posts
14 Users
7 Likes
OldDog
(@olddog)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Just received my copy yesterday and I have watched/listened to about 2 hours of the show. My initial comments are that the music is fantastic. The playing IMO is exceptional with Derek leading the way. What I didn't care for all the time was the camera work. Dreams for me didn't work as the song was fantastic but the video with the crowd and lights didn't get it. There were also several times where a solo was happening and the camera was somewhere else. I look forward to the last hour but from what I saw, Jessica, Don't keep me wondering, Black hearted woman and Ain't wasting time no more, were the highlights. Has anyone else seen it and what do you think.

Posted : July 22, 2021 9:44 am
RCgp2020
(@rcgp2020)
Estimable Member

@oldDog, I don't have the BlueRay version just DVD. I love the music , but agree the lights and camera work somehow take away the show. I don't care about fancy lighting, I bought the show for the music and it seems like it's a bit of a distraction.

I've only watched the first half of disc one and hope things get batter as we go along.

Lighting and camera work aside, I'm still glad that this show went on as planned and that I was able to by both the dvd and cd for my collection.

I'm also interested in what else the company has up their sleeve that they will put out for sale to collectors.

My guess is more 180 gram albums of previous shows...

Posted : July 22, 2021 10:31 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@rcgp2020  I was there and lucky I didn't catch Covid. But it was a fantastic show. A great salute to the Allman Brothers on its 50th anniversary by musicians who are all connected to the Allman Brothers over the years. 

When listening back, Gregg's vocals are missed but that is why they didn't call it the Allman Brothers but The Brothers. Warren made that clear to the press they can't have an Allman Brothers show without Gregg. 

This is a very good version. But you have to not think you are viewing the Allman Brothers or Gregg's vocals missing may ruin it for you. Gregg WAS the voice! 

This is the ALLMAN BROTHERS. You can hear the difference real quick like daddy! The REAL Allman Brothers!!!

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by robertdee

Posted : July 22, 2021 10:40 am
RCgp2020
(@rcgp2020)
Estimable Member

Right again @robertdee, gotta love the camera man in the show view! Glad you got to go ..

Thanks for posting....

Posted : July 22, 2021 10:46 am
JimSheridan
(@jimsheridan)
Noble Member

I'm eagerly awaiting the blu ray in the mail. I have high hopes. I sat in the nosebleed section for the show, so I was watching the screen at times, and the camera work was often COMICALLY off during a guitar solo. Derek would be wailing away, but the camera would leisurely linger on the drummers. Ouch. I'm hoping that the producers fixed this kind of thing. 

Posted : July 22, 2021 10:59 am
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

I am assuming it is a real factory made silver disc Blu-ray and not a recordable Blu-ray discs?

Anyone buy the CD set? Before I buy I want to make sure they are selling real CD's and not CDR's?

Posted : July 22, 2021 11:56 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@bill_graham "Review: The Brothers Close Down The Allman's Long, Influential Career With A 3 1/2 Hour Extravaganza - American Songwriter" https://americansongwriter.com/review-the-brothers-close-down-the-allmans-long-influential-career-with-a-3-1-2-hour-extravaganza/  

This review gives the show 4 out of 5 stars. 

The review points out that Warren Haynes on vocals is no Gregg Allman. That the only one on stage from the original band seemed tired and often barely played or at times quit playing all together. Well we already knew Jaimoe would do that as he was already doing that. Part of that is Jaimoe trying to stay out of the way. Jaimoe stated back in the 90's that Marc Quinones was playing in his space now but rather than complain he would find a new place to play and sometimes not play at all if he couldn't find some space. 

The reviewer found it odd that Ramblin'Man was omitted since it was the ONLY hit single they had. Also was critical of them playing several songs written by Dickey Betts yet they NOT ONCE mentioned Dickey's name. 

Okay. If the Brothers ever play again, please don't play Jessica, Blue Sky, Revival, In Memory of Elizabeth Reed. And since Warren is no Gregg Allman on vocals, maybe they shouldn't do anything Gregg wrote or sang! 

Yeah do Rocking Horse, Soulshine and Instrumental Illness then a two hour Mountain Jam and close it out:) 

Seriously I doubt they will play again. Hope so though. 

And Jaimoe is appearing with The Allman Betts Band this summer and we all know Derek Trucks called Dickey hoping Dickey would come but Dickey's health wouldn't allow it and Dickey can't fly in the wake of serious brain surgery. 

Derek said Dickey told him to knock it out of the park so the show had Dickey's blessing I'd say. 

Posted : July 22, 2021 2:02 pm
matt05 reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

I just finished listening to a TTB show and with all due respect to Warren whom I admire very much on vocals with Govt Mule, it became clear to me if The Brothers ever play again and I hope they do, Susan could do Gregg's vocals on much of his stuff. Warren could do some too of course and I really liked Chuck singing Blue Sky. 

Yeah they certainly do all of Dickey and Gregg's songs. I didn't pay any attention to the fact they never mentioned Dickey's name but The Brothers show absolutely had Dickey's blessing. Derek talked about it just before the show and revealed he personally called Dickey hoping to get him to play with them. 

I don't recall Gregg's name being mentioned. 

Posted : July 22, 2021 9:20 pm
VTAB
 VTAB
(@vtab)
Estimable Member

@robertdee 

Robert DKMW is one of my favorite tunes. I am surprised you compared the Brothers version to a ABB version including Ace on harp. Most of us know Ace played for a year or two and decided not to join the band. No vocalist will ever replace Gregg.

My favorite version is the one at Fillmore with Ace being featured mike was turned way up (terrible video omitting Duane's solo).

I cannot believe the ABB if all members were still alive would be playing DKMW exactly like 1971 as tunes change over time.

Besides do you think Duane would be still playing as well as he did at 23 years old ie Clapton, Richards, Beck, Page etc. 

I hope we can agree the Brothers show March of 2020 was the best of ABB music for that year and quite possibly 

going forward. I cannot imagine a better group of musicians assembling to  play ABB music!

Posted : July 23, 2021 8:11 am
WarEagleRK
(@wareaglerk)
Noble Member

Posted by: @bill_graham

I am assuming it is a real factory made silver disc Blu-ray and not a recordable Blu-ray discs?

Anyone buy the CD set? Before I buy I want to make sure they are selling real CD's and not CDR's?

These are legit pressed CD's and bluray, not the CD-R, DVD-R type stuff you get from nugs.net or munckmusic. (Although, a blu-ray back is never silver, that's only the pressed CDs and DVDs.)

Posted : July 23, 2021 9:41 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@vtab I was in New York City for The Brothers show and thought it was great. I really enjoyed it. 

I was responding to a few reviews ( I linked one) of the 50th anniversary Brothers release and how they all found Warren Haynes on most of the vocals a let down somewhat to people who know the songs and Gregg's voice and yes there is a big difference between Gregg and Warren. Perhaps I agree Warren isn't the singer Gregg was but I love Warren singing in Govt Mule and in the ABB on Hoochie Coochie Man and Same Thing in the 1990's. Warren was/is real good as a singer and I think it's not fair to compare him to Gregg. Gregg wasn't at the 50th because he passed away. Gregg not being there was why they didn't call it the ALLMAN BROTHERS according to Warren. 

Also I wasn't making a comparison between Duane Allman and Warren and Derek. Warren said in a recent interview when he, Derek and Otiel became the standing front line it made them feel a bit awkward because to them the real Allman Brothers Band was the original lineup. Warren continued and said "with that said I defy anyone to say on our good nights we didn't do the legacy of the original band proud". 

My focus was entirely on the vocals. Sorry you misunderstood me. I apologize for not making that clear. The inclusion of DKMW from 1970 was Gregg singing it in color. I didn't even think about Duane and Ace when I linked those two versions. Just vocals. 

If the Brothers play again and I hope they do, my idea was to have Susan sing most of Gregg's songs. She is a she of course and can really belt out the words and probably she wouldn't be compared to Gregg too much. But my suggestion is just me thinking out loud as a retired 74 year old man who is BORED half the time. I probably have too much free time. I don't expect the musicians playing today to take a suggestion from me. 

Of course it's possible and even likely if Duane and Berry were still alive they couldn't play like that now. Dickey certainly can't. It could be a little of Dickey passing on being in that show was he knows he doesn't have the chops anymore to play at the level we saw at Madison Square Garden. But I shouldn't say that probably because Dickey does have health issues and brain surgery recently. Dickey doesn't need to prove a thing as far as I'm concerned. Dickey's contribution to the ABB is enormous! His unique guitar style is all his own. NOBODY sounds like Dickey. The songs he wrote for the band are as important to the ABB song book as anything Gregg wrote. 

And Jaimoe can't play like he did either. Jaimoe also is key to the original ABB sound. His loose jazz style with all the cool fills and colorings was unique for a rock band and complimented Butch perfectly. 

Jaimoe soon will do some shows with Allman Betts. I bet he still has enough to show those young guys what he can do:)

If you ever get the time, listen to how Jaimoe, Lamar Williams and Chuck Leavell play together on Wipe The Windows, Check The Oil, Dollar Gas or the live CD from the 40th anniversary Brothers and Sisters package. They had Jaimoe up in the mix during that lineup and Jaimoe is just incredible. Very tasty and way cool drummer. 

Posted : July 23, 2021 9:52 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

I also think the Brothers were correct with omitting Ramblin' Man. 

The band had not played it since 2000 and this song would be hard for the Brothers lineup to get right. Maybe Chuck could sing it or maybe Warren Haynes would be good. But if they were to stretch out the guitar solo at the end ( Dickey didn't do that much after he was older) who would play the long Ramblin'Man solo and get it close to what a reviewer would expect from hearing it for years on the radio?

Dickey's bends, how he would hold a note, his vibrato and especially HIS TONE back then was all his own. Nobody played guitar like that as best as I know. Derek and Warren don't play like Dickey. This is LIVE in 1973. From the 40th anniversary Brothers and Sisters live bonus CD. Jaimoe and Chuck are good here too. 

This post was modified 3 years ago by robertdee

Posted : July 23, 2021 12:23 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

@wareaglerk

thanks eagle, I had the audio on bootleg I traded for with the intention of buying the official releases and this cliches it for me. I will purchase the CD and Blue ray today.

I always want to support the band but hate paying siver disc prices for burned CDr or DVD/ BluerayR discs.

If these were burned discs I would rather pay less for a download.

Posted : July 23, 2021 1:15 pm
WarEagleRK
(@wareaglerk)
Noble Member

Posted by: @bill_graham

@wareaglerk

thanks eagle, I had the audio on bootleg I traded for with the intention of buying the official releases and this cliches it for me. I will purchase the CD and Blue ray today.

I always want to support the band but hate paying siver disc prices for burned CDr or DVD/ BluerayR discs.

If these were burned discs I would rather pay less for a download.

So far everything released on Peach Records by the ABB has been a silver pressed disc. 

I hate when blank media being used for releases as well. Nugs and Munckmusic would make a fortune off of me if they pressed those live shows on silver CD's. I know it's a cost cutting thing, but it makes a difference to me as a consumer of physical media. I know Munckmusic does have some Allman Brothers Band stuff on silver CD's, but they won't answer which ones they have and which ones they don't...nor do they answer any questions about it.

Posted : July 23, 2021 1:20 pm
Bill_Graham reacted
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

@wareaglerk Same deal with me war. I bought a bunch of Munckmusic shows  and  some were silvers but most were CDr's which dissapointed me as they were not cheap.

I also asked them what shows were available on silvers and also never got an answer. I would also spend a fortune if they offered silvers but don't see that happening.

What really bugs me is I bought the final 2014 Beacon run from Munck and all were CDR which was also not cheap. Then there was an unofficial bootleg (pirate) small  box set released of the same recordings on silver disc for a about $100 which included an audience shot DVD sync'd with the SB which is a great watch.

Considering the historic significance of the final shows I am still stumped why the band never gave us fans an epic boxset as I think they would sell a bunch. Maybe someday.

Anyway this subject has been beat to death before so will let it go and stop whining and enjoy the 50th release

Posted : July 23, 2021 8:14 pm
WarEagleRK reacted
WarEagleRK
(@wareaglerk)
Noble Member

@bill_graham I remember seeing that 18 CD bootleg box and I hate that I never picked it up as I ended up buying from Munck and got all CD-Rs. 

Posted : July 23, 2021 8:32 pm
Bill_Graham reacted
WaitinForRain
(@waitinforrain)
Prominent Member

@robertdee damn is that Vid from Atlanta Pop?

I'm ... mesmerized

Posted : July 24, 2021 1:15 am
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

@robertdee 

Thanks for the review dee, yes I have had a boot of this show for a while now, official release coming today from Amazon, and Gregg is surely missed but it was still great to hear that talented group play all the familiar ABB songs.

Have to disagree with you on the setlist. I want to hear the songs you mentioned even without Gregg on vocals if for nothing else but to hear the Instrumental. 

Maybe because I am a huge Mule and Haynes fan I enjoyed hearing Warren sing those songs I have never heard him sing lead on before. If they ever toured again I think it would be interesting to have a number of guest vocalist sit in and  sing them instead of just Warren or even Susan who I admire greatly. One of the things I enjoy about Mule is when they play covers  and have guest musicians join the band on stage. Why not do this for a Brothers tour singing Gregg's vocals.

I agree with what the review said about Jaimoe hanging back. Watching the videos I have of the Haynes/Trucks version of the band he barely plays or just stops at times but in all honesty not sure you miss it as Mark filled in the gaps and Butch was such a powerhouse driving the music. In any case it was still great to see Jaimoe on stage with the band even if his contributions were small.

Nobody could ever replace Gregg, or Duane, Dickey and Butch for that matter, but I really enjoyed this show and would love it if they did a tour to go see them live. 

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by Bill_Graham

Posted : July 24, 2021 10:42 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@bill_graham Hi Bill!! I was joking around. I enjoy hearing Warren sing those songs too. Warren did it at a show in the early 90's when Gregg was too sick to come on stage. When Dickey announced Gregg wouldn't be able to play and sing, a few people scattered around the audience booed and left. Walked out. 

I was responding to three reviews I've read about the 50th anniversary show and all three were a bit negative about even doing those songs without Gregg and one was that way about doing Dickey's songs without Dickey and never even mentioning his name. 

So I came up with a few songs Warren actually sang with the Allman Brothers then tack on a 2 hour Mountain Jam and maybe these reviewers wouldn't draw these comparisons. 

One thing they seemed to miss was Warren told the press they were not calling it the ALLMAN BROTHERS but THE BROTHERS because Gregg died. 

And Derek told the press he personally called Dickey to get him there but Dickey passed because of recent brain surgery and health issues and said he couldn't fly now and Derek said Dickey told him to knock it out of the park!! 

Have you noticed many reviewers of ABB shows and albums didn't seem to do their homework and you can tell they are not that familiar with the band and it's history? 

Posted : July 24, 2021 12:17 pm
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
Illustrious Member

Watching the blu-ray as I type.  Really enjoy it and the sound is good - although I am listening to the surround sound version and my back speakers are not nearly loud enough - the front speakers are way louder and drown out the benefits of having surround sound.  Anyone else have this issue?  Been messing around with the settings.  My system has a 7 channel enhancer that I use for most stereo music - and it sounds better than the 5.1 mix so far.  Guess I have been spoiled by all the Steven Wilson surround sound remixes of Yes, King Crimson and Jethro Tull....

Posted : July 24, 2021 4:39 pm
alastair
(@alastair)

Unfortunately you always get a few moaning minnies.

We should all be grateful that Jaimoe made the call and simply enjoy the effort and skill of these musicians and the respect they have for the historic allman brothers band.

Posted : July 25, 2021 3:22 am
OldDog
(@olddog)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I feel remiss in that I did not mention Oteill. This guy is just the most amazing Bass player and his lines during the jams are incredible. I don't believe he gets near the recognition he deserves and wanted to mention his outstanding contribution. BTW was he a big Prince fan? I ask because of the Bass he played at the Garden.

Posted : July 26, 2021 9:51 am
Joe_the_Lurker
(@joe_the_lurker)
Reputable Member

@olddog Oteil is an Egyptian and his bass is an Ankh, not the Symbol of the Artist Formerly Known as Prince

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2683778328301369&id=295549510457608&set=pcb.2683919558287246&source=48&refid=13&__tn__=%2B%3D

This post was modified 3 years ago by Joe_the_Lurker

Posted : July 26, 2021 3:59 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@olddog  The bass player on Jessica here with Duane Betts on lead guitar is just as good as Otiel! As a matter of fact he even looks like Mr. Burbage. 

My DVD of The Brothers at MSG didn't arrive today:(  Hopefully tomorrow. Should be anytime now. 

Posted : July 26, 2021 6:08 pm
WarEagleRK
(@wareaglerk)
Noble Member

@robertdee Am I missing a punchline here, that is Oteil. The video says "Oteil and Friends". I think it's from Lockn' the day or two before Neal Casal (the other guitarist in the video) died. 

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by WarEagleRK

Posted : July 27, 2021 12:19 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@wareaglerk  Yeah I'm enjoying myself a little too much tonight and not making sense I suppose. He is as good as Otiel because it IS him.

He sat in with Allman Betts Band just recently. The third time in the last two years. 

Clapton always has real fine top notch players in his solo bands. I've always wanted to see Otiel play with Clapton. 

Posted : July 27, 2021 12:44 am
OldDog
(@olddog)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

@robertdee Good one Robert Dee. Joe thanks for the update I did not know he was Egyptian and thought it was Prince symbol.

Posted : July 27, 2021 9:20 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@olddog  Oteil was born to African American parents in Washington, DC on August 24th, 1964. He has some Egyptian heritage but his bio didn't go into detail. 

He was trained in jazz and classical music from a young age. He plays bass guitar, drums, clarinet, piano, violin, trumpet and banjo. Oteil ( which means explorer) really excelled on bass guitar and drums and is noted for his unique ability to scat-singing which he does HERE!

Oteil moved to Virginia Beach to further his musical career and joined a band there. Later moved to Atlanta , Georgia which led to joining The Aquarium Rescue Unit which led to name notoriety. The band was not a commercial success but attracted fans who were musicians, some who were in bands that were known. 

His big break came in 1997 when he replaced Allen Woody in The Allman Brothers Band on bass guitar. In the wake of joining the Allman's, Oteil has fronted his own bands, toured with other's bands and in 2015 became a member of Dead and Company where he plays bass and drums. Also in 2015 Oteil joined Les Beers but it disbanded in 2017 with the death of founder Butch Trucks. 

In 2010 Otiel became an original member of The Tedeschi Trucks Band. On October 5th, 2012 Oteil resigned from The Tedeschi Trucks Band citing a need to spend more time with his family. 

Posted : July 27, 2021 10:31 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

20 years ago I was pretty blown away while watching the great Peter Sellers in one of the best scenes from Being There, filmed in and around DC, to spot the Allman Brothers' latest bass player accosting him.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : July 27, 2021 12:11 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@porkchopbob Enjoyed seeing Oteil in the scene with the great Peter Sellers. 

I had heard Oteil was in a movie but didn't know which one.

This post was modified 3 years ago by robertdee

Posted : July 28, 2021 2:37 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: