ABB 50 Blu Ray

37 Posts
14 Users
7 Likes
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
Illustrious Member

Well, I guess this review answers my surround sound question ... 

"As noted, the back channels have been reserved for audience ambience and reflections from the band’s vigorous jamming. The front speakers spread the band across the front left and right channels, with a substantial amount pouring from the center. I can say that a full bandwidth center speaker will yield a much better audio experience given the weight placed there."

https://www.hiresedition.com/review/blues/the-brothers-madison-square-garden-2020.html?fbclid=IwAR38c1z7yPWKhEjVivvVsFL25OZWR2HoAEobtuYqAnfuda5bpwN_kgxYQiE

Seems like a waste of surround sound to me, but the show is awesome and the sound is very clear.

Posted : July 28, 2021 6:25 pm
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

Have been enjoying this one all week. I was impressed with the show's flow and the song selections. Had to be tough picking songs from a catalog as large as the ABB. 

My favorite moment watching the DVDs was during Every Hungry Woman. Reese Wynans is soloing and is ready to return the song back to the full band. As he does throughout the show Wynans signals the ending of his solos by raising his left hand and then pointing back to Derek & Warren. Derek is standing right by the organ and as Reese gives the signal a wry smile comes over Derek's face. He shakes his head and says "no" to Wynans indicating "you need to dig back into that solo" which RW does before then returning things back. You can clearly see how much DT enjoyed that. 

"My friends say I'm ugly I got a masculine face." Tom Waits

Posted : July 30, 2021 11:21 am
PorkchopBob reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@oldcoot  Got mine in the mail. Yes camera work could be better and sometimes the musician soloing is not on the screen. But the players all did a great job treating us to many songs in the Allman Brothers song book for the special occasion of the band's 50th anniversary. 

Unlike some reviews, I did NOT miss Gregg's vocals or Butch Trucks on drums or even Dickey's unique sound on guitar that was such a big part of the band's sound for decades. Didn't miss Duane Allman or anyone else. You see I KNEW those key members of the Allman Brothers Band were not going to be part of this show or these recordings. Technically this performance ISN'T the ALLMAN Brothers and wasn't promoted as such. 

This performance is by a group of extremely talented musicians who have deep and important connections to the Allman Brothers Band. 

This was an excellent salute to those wonderful songs and band by excellent players who hold the legacy and history of the Allman Brothers in high esteem. 

I would be very supportive of this lineup doing a tour, say for the 55th anniversary or some sooner milestone of the band. I do not support this band calling itself the Allman Brothers and according to Warren these musician don't support that either. They are The Brothers just as The Dead emerged in the wake of Jerry's death with the name Grateful Dead retired.  

This show is special to me and these are very good takes on the songs of the ABB. 

This post was modified 3 years ago by robertdee

Posted : July 30, 2021 3:16 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Audience recording. Not bad at all. 

Reese plays more notes than Gregg? Seems like it to me. 

Jaimoe only original member on stage. And Gary Rossington, Skynyrd's only original member, just got out of the hospital. Home resting after heart surgery. 

Posted : August 2, 2021 11:40 am
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

Posted by: @robertdee

@olddog  Oteil was born to African American parents in Washington, DC on August 24th, 1964. He has some Egyptian heritage but his bio didn't go into detail. 

He was trained in jazz and classical music from a young age. He plays bass guitar, drums, clarinet, piano, violin, trumpet and banjo. Oteil ( which means explorer) really excelled on bass guitar and drums and is noted for his unique ability to scat-singing which he does HERE!

Oteil moved to Virginia Beach to further his musical career and joined a band there. Later moved to Atlanta , Georgia which led to joining The Aquarium Rescue Unit which led to name notoriety. The band was not a commercial success but attracted fans who were musicians, some who were in bands that were known. 

His big break came in 1997 when he replaced Allen Woody in The Allman Brothers Band on bass guitar. In the wake of joining the Allman's, Oteil has fronted his own bands, toured with other's bands and in 2015 became a member of Dead and Company where he plays bass and drums. Also in 2015 Oteil joined Les Beers but it disbanded in 2017 with the death of founder Butch Trucks. 

In 2010 Otiel became an original member of The Tedeschi Trucks Band. On October 5th, 2012 Oteil resigned from The Tedeschi Trucks Band citing a need to spend more time with his family. 

You forget about Oteil's residency in Birmingham, AL (lived in my old neighborhood for a while).  It was during this period where he played bass in the Mark Kimbrell Band - which later became Oteil and the Peacemakers.  Oteil was already playing with the Allman Brothers Band - moving his name to the top of the marquee made good sense.  I (for one) was a HUGE fan of Oteil and the Peacemakers!  The drummer from this band (Chris Fryar) went on to play in the Zac Brown Band.  The band also featured Matt Slocumm on keys.  Great, great band they were!  😉 

Posted : August 2, 2021 12:40 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@rusty Zac Brown Band is good. Wasn't Oteil on TV playing bass for Zac Brown and Gregg saw it and wanted Oteil fired but Warren threatened to quit if the 3 originals voted Oteil out. I well remember Gregg wanting Oteil gone and Warren threatening to quit but not sure it the Zac Brown Band was the reason. 

Not entirely sure those news reports in some of the music sites and magazines was correct either. Don't remember Warren or Oteil ever commenting personally or Gregg either. 

Posted : August 2, 2021 2:44 pm
Rusty reacted
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Oteil is in Boca these days, and sits in with some regional Dead cover bands from time to time. A buddy of mine took some bass lessons from him.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : August 2, 2021 3:03 pm
Rusty reacted
Page 2 / 2
Share: