(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : July 31, 2021 2:00 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Steve Hackett said in an interview he quit Genesis because it stopped being a band when one member decided he was the Fuhrer of the group. 

But Steve never mentioned who that was. And the guy asking him questions didn't ask him. I wonder who Steve was talking about? 

A similar charge was made about Dickey in the Allman Brothers by Butch and a little by Gregg who said in 2002 they were back to being a democracy now. 

Posted : July 31, 2021 9:04 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Genesis last night. No wonder Phil Collins announced he would not play the drums on this tour! He looks like he is 85 years old and has to sit in a chair. I'm sorry to see him in that shape. Scary. I'm older than he is by 4 years. 

The lead guitar player I was reading has to sit a lot too. 

Posted : September 21, 2021 7:57 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I was hoping Collins would have came out with a wig on with a similar cut to the one PG sported in the video above and perform some level of  high strangeness .

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : September 22, 2021 12:24 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

@robertdee The band sound excellent in that video but it is sad to hear Phil struggle with the vocals as he is a shadow of his former self IMHO. Age has not been kind to him.

Pity they could not get Gabriel to make a guest appearance to sing some of his era songs.

Posted : September 22, 2021 2:04 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@bill_graham Oh yeah they sound good. Even Phil's singing is good. 

I was disappointed Phil wasn't playing drums. I wasn't aware that age had worked on him like that. I wish him well. 

Posted : September 22, 2021 3:41 pm
JimSheridan
(@jimsheridan)
Noble Member

Steve Hackett's complaint was about Tony Banks. Tony is an exceptional songwriter, a master of melody, but apparently he is very intense in terms of in-band politics. Other Genesis band members have made similar statements about his dominating the band's decisions.  

Phil's son is remarkable on drums, and Phil's physical decline is very sad. 

If you check out what Phil has been through in the past 2 decades or so, it is unreal. His marital problems are one thing. His physical problems are intense. He also went through deep clinical depression after spending too much time on the Internet and realizing how many people mock or loath him. He went into seclusion in Switzerland and became one of the world's largest collectors of Alamo relics and memorabilia. I am not kidding you. It's a haunting story. 

The videos from the opening night of Genesis's final tour show an amazing stage production, a really great-sounding instrumental approach, and a setlist that has more oldies / long songs than I would have expected. Phil's vocals do sound frail, and he looks frail. 

I passed on spending megabucks for Genesis tickets because I prefer to see Steve Hackett's band as well as the excellent Genesis tribute band "The Musical Box" - they are that good - but I wish the guys from Genesis well. They made a LOT of great music.  

Posted : September 23, 2021 12:14 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@jimsheridan That is sad about Phil. The internet thing also is sad. You go to certain videos of guitarists and players of other instruments and the comments can be brutal. Someone will claim to be a 20 year professional guitarist then proceed to rip a certain guitarist to pieces. Even Eddie Van Halen, Jimmy Page, David Gilmore and other hugely successful players will get crucified.  As far as certain so-called experts are concerned the guitarist being ripped is awful and has no timing or sense of melody and couldn't tie their favorite guitarist's shoes.

Everyone gets that on the internet. Ignore it. It's one thing to be criticized by a Rolling Stone review but these so-called experts who haven't been on a record that's sold over 50 copies are outrageous. 

This post was modified 3 years ago by robertdee

Posted : September 23, 2021 5:47 am
Share: