The Allman Brothers Band
The most recorded b...

Notifications
Clear all

The most recorded bass in music history? Yep. Probably.

6 Posts
4 Users
4 Likes
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : July 31, 2021 1:44 am
Rusty reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Wow very interesting. And that is a great sounding bass. But like so many electric guitars, when the owner ( especially if he is famous) begins telling you about it, it's heavily modified. Can't buy it at the music store. Maybe you can if a custom shop is selling replicas. 

Posted : July 31, 2021 9:13 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Shoot - w/his beard Lee could jump right into ZZ Top - can’t help noticing the resemblance - both great - thx for posting jszfunk - RIP Dusty, Jesus just left Chicago bro🙏

Posted : July 31, 2021 10:48 am
matt05 reacted
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

@robertdee Sounds like Lee took a third-party body (Charvel - future builder of "shredder" guitars) and did his own customization.  It looks like the body had not been pre-routed (my guess) because the Precision pickup spots were reversed.  Again - my guess.  One could certainly at least attempt to build their own model.  If I were to try this, I'd find an MIM Jazz bass and work on that.  No way I'd take a router to an actual America Fender - regardless of age or era.  The part I found most interesting - mandolin fret wire!

Big Dave On Bass built a Berry Oakley "Tractor" model this way.  He did a great job, too!  

Posted : July 31, 2021 10:59 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@rusty Big Dave On Bass is a fine player too! 

Charvel eventually put the exact shape of a Stratocaster headstock on some of their instruments. When Gibson and Fender began suing the copycat manufacturers it became not as clear cut as Fender and Gibson had thought. The headstock shape was what ended up having to be noticably different than shapes made by Gibson and Fender. 

So I wondered back in the 80's how Charvel was getting by with the Strat headstock on some of their makes. Finally ask a salesman at a music store and found out Fender bought Charvel. 

This is a Charvel SuperStrat with a Fender headstock, one big humbucker and Floyd Rose whammy. Good sounding guitar and a nice little solo. 

This post was modified 3 years ago by robertdee

Posted : July 31, 2021 12:21 pm
Rusty reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@rusty Update! Either this is not the solo I thought it was or it's been awhile since I heard it. This is actually an EXCELLENT rock guitar solo. 

If I could play like that I wouldn't hesitate to sit in with Gov't Mule, TTB or Allman Betts Band Smile

Posted : July 31, 2021 12:45 pm
Rusty reacted
Share: