Doobie Brothers w/ Michael McDonald, Scott Sharrard and Bill Payne

8 Posts
3 Users
2 Likes
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member
Topic starter

The Doobies aren't exactly known as a jam band but you wouldn't know it from this 8:37 version of Sonny Boy Williamson's "Don't Start Me To Talkin'".  Gregg Allman & Friends were on the bill that day at The Sonoma Music Festival which explains why Sharrard was in the house.

Posted : June 25, 2022 9:43 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

I saw the Doobie Brothers three times in the early 1970's when it was the original band and enjoyed the shows but they never stretched it out like this. 

But Jesus Is Just Alright, China Grove etc were played with energy and the band was tight. 

They picked up a lot of new fans when Michael McDonald joined but some of the male hippies they had lost interest in the band. 

Jeff "Skunk" Baxter joined too. Going by memory but I seem to remember he said he joined the Doobie Brothers when he was asked because Steely Dan only wanted to make albums. They didn't enjoy playing live and stopped playing live.  

I went to an early 1970's rock festival and saw Lynyrd Skynyrd for the first time. Billy Preston too. Z. Z. Top was on the bill with real steers in two holding pens on each side of the stage. Steely Dan was the headliner but they didn't show. They backed out about a week before so everyone knew they wouldn't be there by the day of the show. 

Posted : June 26, 2022 8:48 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Since it's Sunday morning let's play a hippie religious song!!!!! 

Posted : June 26, 2022 8:56 am
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Here's John McFee of The Doobies sitting in with Gregg on pedal steel the same day

This post was modified 2 years ago by robslob

Posted : June 27, 2022 7:32 am
DarylM
(@darylm)
Estimable Member

The Doobies are finally in town this week (after Covid postponement). Looking

forward to seeing Brother Marc Q!

Posted : June 27, 2022 2:08 pm
robslob reacted
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member
Topic starter

@darylm:  50 years later they are still a smoking hot live act.  Thanks for the reminder I had forgotten that Marc was in the band now.

This post was modified 2 years ago by robslob

Posted : June 27, 2022 4:40 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@robslob I had forgotten that too!! When the Allman Brothers Band closed up shop in 2014, Marc Q joined Gregg's band. Gregg passed away in 2017 so Marc Q joined the Doobie Brothers. 

Posted : June 27, 2022 6:22 pm
robslob reacted
DarylM
(@darylm)
Estimable Member

Marc barely worked up a sweat with the Doobies! Not like when he was going to outer

space and back with the Brothers. Solid two-hour set that covered all of the hits. The

visual presentation, I thought, was fairly pedestrian. Like Dylan, I guess they didn't want

the audience to see close-ups of the band members.

Posted : July 2, 2022 2:06 pm
Share: