The Allman Brothers Band
Captain Beyond - Li...

Notifications
Clear all

Captain Beyond - Live In Montreux 1972 (Restored & Remastered)

8 Posts
5 Users
1 Likes
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : July 19, 2021 9:44 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

That is a great video and only known footage of that amazing band.

Just bought the audio of that concert on vinyl and it sounds fantastic.

A real shame that original lineup only released one album together.

The second album, Sufficiently Breathless, was completely different and was a shock when I first heard it but it really grew on me over time.

Posted : July 19, 2021 11:27 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@bill_graham Larry Rhino on lead guitar was in Second Coming when Dickey and Berry were members. Reece on keys. Rhino was a fine guitarist in his own right. 

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by robertdee

Posted : July 20, 2021 2:23 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

RHINO WAS YOUNG IN 1972!! AND I WAS TOO! 

Bobby Caldwell on drums? I think so. Bobby Caldwell was often cited as being a good one back then. One of the top shelf rock drummers. 

This post was modified 3 years ago by robertdee

Posted : July 20, 2021 3:17 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

@robertdee Yes, Bobby Caldwell was the drummer in Captain Beyond.

He still tours with a band called Captain Beyond but is the only original member as Rhino and Lee Dorman are deceased and Lead singer Rod Evans has been MIA since he was sued and lost a lawsuit for fronting a bogus Deep Purple band in the early 1980's. evidently he lost his royalties to the first 3 Purple albums as part of the settlement.

Posted : July 20, 2021 4:28 pm
RCgp2020
(@rcgp2020)
Estimable Member

This is great stuff. I have a Captain Beyond Album or 2 and really enjoy listening to the versatility of this band. It's too bad there aren't more super groups like this in todays music arena. 

Kind of reminds me of the early Jeff Beck Groups, with the late Cozy Powell on drums and the live version of Freddie Kings "Goin Down"...

Thanks for posting and bringing back some good old Rock N Roll!

Posted : July 21, 2021 10:18 am
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

Great news that this classic video has been remastered!  Their debut "Captain Beyond" is and always will be a CLASSIC.  Gets my vote as the most overlooked record in the history of rock and roll.  And it was mixed by Johnny Sandlin.  The sound for 1972 is WAY ahead of it's time.......Mr. Sandlin did some incredible work here.  In his book Sandlin described Captain Beyond in three words:  "They were great."  I agree.  And as Bill Graham mentioned, their follow up "Sufficiently Breathless" is a pretty damn good record too although nothing could match up to the first one.  Reese Wynans plays on Sufficiently Breathless.

I am one of the lucky very few who saw the original Captain Beyond lineup live.  Hollywood Bowl, 1972:  Black Sabbath, Gentle Giant and Captain Beyond.  CB did a 40 minute set, the entire first record from start to finish.  Although they were unknown, they got a standing ovation when they were done.  I owned the record within a week.  That show taught me to ALWAYS be on time and not miss the opening act!!

Thanks for posting Scott.

Posted : July 22, 2021 2:51 pm
Bill_Graham reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@robslob I saw Captain Beyond way back then too. Mainly because I had found out Rhino was in the Second Coming. Rhino was a great guitar player and CB was a great band. Should of been one of the top bands then. Rhino was also in Iron Butterfly. 

Most probably know but I'll mention it anyway, Dickey, Rhino, Berry and Reese and the rest of Second Coming were already playing "Don't Want You No More" by Spencer Davis arranged just like the Allman Brothers did it as an intro to "Ain't My Cross To Bear". 

Larry Rhino Reinhart was born in Florida July 7th, 1948 and died in Bradenton ( where Dickey lives) January 2nd, 2012 of cirrhosis of the liver at age 63. Larry's off and on struggles with the bottle finally caught up with him.  

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by robertdee

Posted : July 22, 2021 4:32 pm
Share: