Farm Aid Sept 25 ,2021

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

https://www.farmaid.org/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Farm%20Aid%20&utm_campaign=Farm%20Aid%202021

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : July 20, 2021 11:43 am
RCgp2020
(@rcgp2020)
Estimable Member

Thanks' for Posting @Jazfunk. I wondered if this annual event was going to make it back this year or if Covid 19 was going to put it to pasture as they say.

The original Farm Aid concert took place in my home town of Champaign, Illinois back in the 80's at Memorial Stadium. It was broadcast on The Nashville Network and featured so many great acts.

Included was one Mr. B.B King who in the middle of a song broke a string and with out missing a beat changed it out and finished the number. I think someone made a utube of that. It is incredible to watch.

Sammy Haggar and Eddie Van Halen also appeared on the show, but unfortunately  Sammy couldn't control his use of bad language and the TV folks decided to cut away from his segment. Oh well all goes well in Rock N Roll. 

I wish the folks associated with this years Farm Aid, the best going forward.

Posted : July 21, 2021 10:28 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Yeah the Farm Aid people then were not happy with Sammy Haggar and were kinda Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash and Glen Campbell people who would never use that kind of language on tv with a general audience. 

When it was explained Sammy was a heavy metal rock god type and beloved by fans of the genre, the Farm Aid people said they wouldn't walk across the street to see the foul mouthed egotistical punk who needs his behind kicked. 

I thought it was funny when I read about it and realized these Farm Aiders aren't use to cocky acts like that. But I could see their point of being turned off with the language. 

I guess Sammy came close to some big strong Jethro Bodine farmer grabbing him and stomping him into a something that looks like a cow pie. 

But country music had their out of control egos too. I worked some country music shows at an old theatre that gave up on movies and began having music on their old vaudeville stage. Jerry Lee Lewis is one that was rather drunk and cussed out the crowd for clapping after a gospel song he sang. Some of those big rednecks in the audience began to act as if they were going to stomp Jerry Lee so the show was shut down. 

Another rowdy group of drunks with some bad language they had was a group called J. Frank Wilson and The Calvaliers. They were in an old beat up Ford station wagon that smoked ( burning oil?) and an old equipment trailer that had one tire with mud tread. What a group of rowdy guys. 

This is them. It was 1968 when they at that old theatre. 

UPDATE! WE BRING YOU THIS UPDATE!!

Not surprising since the 1968 show I witnessed by J. Frank Wilson and he definitely was Half Seas Over ( drunk) at the show, J. Frank Wilson, an alcoholic and diabetic, died in 1991 at age 49. I wonder if he was good enough to go to heaven to be with his baby when he left this world? 

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by robertdee

Posted : July 21, 2021 4:26 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

Nice to see it is back. Looks like it is just a one off thing. Too bad about that. I went for the first time a few years ago in Chicago at one of my favorite venues and it was horrible. Nothing against the artists, it was the way the amphitheater set it up. 

I saw a segment on the local news today and they said it has raised over $60 million. I thought that number has to be low. After all these years, that's all they've raised? Maybe they have to pay the musicians for their time/appearances. 

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : July 21, 2021 4:27 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

FARM AID 1997!! Jackie Boy on slide!!

Posted : July 21, 2021 4:47 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@rcgp2020

B.B.KING AND THE BEST SINGLE FINGER VIBRATO EVER!! Farm Aid 1985. 

Posted : July 21, 2021 5:02 pm
RCgp2020
(@rcgp2020)
Estimable Member

That's what I'm talking about @robertdee. I've been to that stadium a million times, It's about 3 miles from my house as the crow flies, but on that day at The First Farm Aid in 85, B. B King was most impressive.

As the video goes there is nothing more complicated in music then keeping time and doing something else. Everyone needs to watch this video.

I know this is an Allman Brothers Website for the most part An the Allmans looked up to B.B., as a major influence.  But on this day, this Great Human Being make a mark on show business that in my opinion can't ever be overlooked.

Blessings to you Mr. B.B King, I now you are proud!

Posted : July 22, 2021 10:24 am
Share: