43 Posts
23 Users
0 Likes
22.2 K Views
BIGV
 BIGV
(@bigv)
Famed Member

Well...that was certainly an abomination. It was even worse live!
No one was on the same page in the song. The tones of the guitars was god awful. And did you see the way the mean ol' ogre yelled and screamed at his guitar tech?! 😉

Does anyone who puts a slide bar on their finger, just sound good?

Highly mediocre.

I still think Dickey would be best suited to kick this music to the curb and get back to his "Highway Call" roots. That, would be cool.
Cool

Posted : November 3, 2014 12:24 pm
The_Newt
(@the_newt)
Reputable Member

No one was on the same page in the song. The tones of the guitars was god awful. And did you see the way the mean ol' ogre yelled and screamed at his guitar tech?!

Duane Betts looked very bored.

😉

Posted : November 3, 2014 12:51 pm
fanfrom-71
(@fanfrom-71)
Noble Member

No one was on the same page in the song. The tones of the guitars was god awful. And did you see the way the mean ol' ogre yelled and screamed at his guitar tech?!

Duane Betts looked very bored.

Kind of reminds me of Derek when he's not with band too...

😉

Posted : November 3, 2014 1:17 pm
gina
 gina
(@gina)

Well this is the Dickey I think of. Just being a musician and enjoying himself.

[Edited on 11/5/2014 by gina]

Posted : November 3, 2014 4:41 pm
kypeachcats
(@kypeachcats)

peach master wrote: Does dickey have his demons? Yes he still does but I an no saint and neither is Dickey. I saw dickey this past summer and he was in fine form. I took this video. Nobody in the world has the tone like this man.
Ed

So what you are saying is "he's no angel".... sorry couldn't resist.

Posted : November 4, 2014 9:40 am
BNAKED
(@bnaked)
Eminent Member

I got to see Dickey in may and was surprised how on top of it all he seemed. Setlist wasn't expecting either, no ramblin man or 7 turns but Dickey played better then I saw him in 05 and 09. Seemed sharp. Now great southern doesn't have the sound quality and hreat sounding venues but Dickey played well. That was in Memphis this year

Posted : November 4, 2014 1:41 pm
Haisija
(@haisija)

The Allman Brothers band as an Allman Brothers Tribute Band ?...Its more like for part of the show they were always a Dickey Betts Tribute band Smile

[Edited on 11/13/2014 by Haisija]

Posted : November 4, 2014 5:16 pm
elvisgump
(@elvisgump)

man, i can accept that dickey isn't the player he once was. for his age and lifestyle, that is completely acceptable. we all know that a certain 66 year old member of the ABB is often a musical anchor to the rest of the band. but geez, dickey really ought to surround himself with a crackerjack band. they are generally sloppy and uninspired. even his son looks like he'd usually be elsewhere. outside of the bass player, no one is paying much homage to the music that is being presented. that's the real shame...

Posted : November 4, 2014 8:26 pm
fanfrom-71
(@fanfrom-71)
Noble Member

even his son looks like he'd usually be elsewhere. outside of the bass player, no one is paying much homage to the music that is being presented.

When I first saw Lamar Williams with the band, the thought I came away with was...that guy played for close to three hours, and never moved anything but his fingers! Some might have thought he was uninspired....
Pedro shows more emotion playing than all of the bass players the ABB ever had put together.
Oteil, shows more emotion when playing the all of the past ABB players did put together.
And if you really think about it....how many different stances does Derek stand in during a performance with the ABB? One?
Many say Derek looks uninspired....

Posted : November 5, 2014 4:41 am
MisterBluebirdd
(@misterbluebirdd)
Eminent Member

I know when they are going to play Les Brers by the way Derek moves. He sorta moves his guitar neck back and forth like he is spraying a firehose. The slow beginning of the song doesn't make it very easy to identify (for me anyway...) so I rely on his actions.

Posted : November 11, 2014 9:51 am
swangdb
(@swangdb)

Many say Derek looks uninspired....

Many say that about Derek and then many follow that up with how ironic it is considering the sounds coming out of his amp.

I think this is a primary difference here, if we absolutely MUST compare Duane to Derek (LOL!), is that while they both have low-energy stage presence, only one of them cancels out any perceived boredom with their guitar sound.

The first time I heard Duane Betts play was maybe 20 years ago. The ABB brought him out for a tune or two. I thought his playing was sort of weak. A few years later I heard him play with the ABB again and his playing was much better this time. Not great but good. I haven't heard him play since, so I don't know if he's improved more or not.

Posted : November 11, 2014 9:55 am
BIGV
 BIGV
(@bigv)
Famed Member

Pedro shows more emotion playing than all of the bass players the ABB ever had put together.

Please, how can you even mention this guy with the others?

Posted : November 11, 2014 10:07 am
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Noble Member

not only that, but since when did showing emotion (other than the music flowing out of you) while playing matter?

2 examples that come to mind are Derek Trucks and John Entwistle.

Posted : November 11, 2014 9:34 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: