43 Posts
23 Users
0 Likes
22.2 K Views
jcattier
(@jcattier)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

In an interview with Ticket Sarasota, former Allman Brothers guitarist Dickey Betts commented on the band’s retirement as well as his memories of Duane Allman. Betts, currently touring with his band Great Southern, said that the band’s retirement “makes it easier on my band because half their show is shit I wrote, which I do in my show now.”Betts also went on to say, “I don’t have to do Gregg Allman songs. It will be easier as far as people understanding. I kind of question whether to say this or not, but it’s almost like the Allman Brothers turned into an Allman Brothers tribute band.” The guitarist also fondly recalled his time with Duane Allman, saying, “Duane and I used to have a little wine and we’d sit and talk about how screwed up it is that every good band you get together, the guitar players start getting jealous of each other and start trying to hotdog out each other and ruin the whole thing. Duane and I had an understanding, like an old soul kind of understanding, of let’s play together. And then I wrote ‘Elizabeth Reed,’ and instead of Duane being jealous of it, he said, ‘That is the greatest thing, man.’”

Posted : October 31, 2014 10:11 am
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

There's a whole thread over in the Anything Goes section.

Frankly, I have no problem with Dickey expressing himself this way. It's not like he wrote a book (or actually wrote a book (cough-cough)) or scheduled weekly interviews over the past 15 years to continuously take digs at his former bandmates. But go ahead and jump on the "let's kick Dickey while he's down" bandwagon if you want to.

Posted : October 31, 2014 10:24 am
BIGV
 BIGV
(@bigv)
Famed Member

Frankly, I have no problem with Dickey expressing himself this way.

Either he is above it or he is not.....

You can't have it both ways

Posted : October 31, 2014 10:28 am
jcattier
(@jcattier)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

From reading One Way Out it seems like the collaborative creative spirit that allowed Dickey to make the music his ego would not let him acknowledge. It had to be his exclusively.

That personality type exists in every business and they end up owning a 100% of nothing.

Posted : October 31, 2014 10:42 am
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

If it hadn't been for Dickey's creative control/micromanagement - whatever you want to call it, the band would have very likely ceased to exist after Berry's death. Like it or not, Brothers and Sisters is the bands crowning achievement commercially. That song that the rest of the band does their best to distance themselves from has brought them more money than any other venture by the band - period. If you don't think that Dickey was more in the drivers seat than any other band member - go talk to Johnny Sandlin (who was given headaches galore by Dickey).

I will not say another word on all this. But for the record - which parts of Dickey's recent statement is false? You might not like the way that he said it - but deny that it's true!

If this is an argument or a peeing contest - you win.

Posted : October 31, 2014 10:52 am
kevinumberger
(@kevinumberger)
Estimable Member

That song that the rest of the band does their best to distance themselves from has brought them more money than any other venture by the band - period.

you mean besides Moogis?

😀

Posted : October 31, 2014 10:59 am
jcattier
(@jcattier)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

not an argument.

dickey was an incredible talent and made huge contributions to the band, no doubt.

just interesting to see that the narcissism that got him tossed from the band years ago is alive and well.

same shit and same flies.

I have endless respect for Greg allowing the band to embrace and showcase talents well beyond him. A true acknowledgement of humility that the music is not owned by anyone but rather a continuum of tradition. He trained another generation to keep those traditions alive and that is more valuable than anything.The band owes more to muddy and elmore james than dickey betts.

Posted : October 31, 2014 11:38 am
The_Newt
(@the_newt)
Reputable Member

The whole feud/argument will never die; both between DB, and on this site.

Posted : October 31, 2014 12:23 pm
CB
 CB
(@cb)
Estimable Member

"I have endless respect for Greg allowing the band to embrace and showcase talents well beyond him."

Maybe some of that is driven by the fact that he has realized for years that the GAB isn't as big a payday as the ABB.

Posted : October 31, 2014 12:30 pm
fanfrom-71
(@fanfrom-71)
Noble Member

That song that the rest of the band does their best to distance themselves from has brought them more money than any other venture by the band - period.

you mean besides Moogis?

😀

Youz guyz are killing me! 😛

Posted : October 31, 2014 12:38 pm
kevinumberger
(@kevinumberger)
Estimable Member

you mean besides Moogis?

Grin

Youz guyz are killing me! 😛

cmon.....you knew that one was coming.....

😉

Posted : October 31, 2014 12:39 pm
DougieJ
(@dougiej)

If it hadn't been for Dickey's creative control/micromanagement - whatever you want to call it, the band would have very likely ceased to exist after Berry's death. Like it or not, Brothers and Sisters is the bands crowning achievement commercially. That song that the rest of the band does their best to distance themselves from has brought them more money than any other venture by the band - period. If you don't think that Dickey was more in the drivers seat than any other band member - go talk to Johnny Sandlin (who was given headaches galore by Dickey).

I will not say another word on all this. But for the record - which parts of Dickey's recent statement is false? You might not like the way that he said it - but deny that it's true!

I would say the part about the band being "an allman bros. tribute band" is false. If you believe that to be true than it would seem like a waste to have all those stars after your name for a tribute band. After Levell left the band - this lineup with Haynes & Trucks has been better than any lineup with Dickey in my opinion, including Dickey & Haynes and Dickey at Trucks. Dickey's playing for more than a decade has been both sloppy and predictable and the jams with Trucks and Haynes go to much further places than Dickey's. Dickey is simply an angry narcissist.

Posted : November 1, 2014 9:08 am
emr
 emr
(@emr)
Prominent Member

I would say the part about the band being "an allman bros. tribute band" is false. If you believe that to be true than it would seem like a waste to have all those stars after your name for a tribute band. After Levell left the band - this lineup with Haynes & Trucks has been better than any lineup with Dickey in my opinion, including Dickey & Haynes and Dickey at Trucks. Dickey's playing for more than a decade has been both sloppy and predictable and the jams with Trucks and Haynes go to much further places than Dickey's. Dickey is simply an angry narcissist.

I have always taken a moderates view of the feud. Hence 1 - You are right and 2 - He is right. Dickey kept the band together after Duane's death by embracing those very same negative personality traits. He also wrote my favorite Jazz/Fusion song (IMOER) of all time. The band also survived a decade or so ago by getting rid of him before it rotted with him at the helm. ALL THESE THINGS ARE TRUE

Posted : November 1, 2014 10:48 am
The_Newt
(@the_newt)
Reputable Member

Very true. I liked the ABB with DB when I saw them at first in the late 90s but I accepted that he was older and his playing was not like it was going to be in the 70s; but decades of a lot of anger, alcohol, cocaine, amphetamine, and heroin will do that to someone. The ABB did the right thing by kicking DB out, and having Haynes replace him.

Some of my friends who are major ABB fans as well will say how Haynes is just a rehash blues player, that his playing is too calculated/boring after awhile, or other things; but I'm glad mostly all of the ABB shows I saw were with him and Derek. I also am glad I got to see them both with Jimmy Herring, and Jack Pearson. When I was a kid I was a huge Bob Weir/GD fan, so I'm also happy I saw Ratdog open up a few times, and Weir guest on some songs too.

[Edited on 11/1/2014 by The_Newt]

Posted : November 1, 2014 10:57 am
Dan
 Dan
(@dan)
Reputable Member

After 14 years of Gregg and the little drummer boy bashing Dickey and Dickey not saying one negative word at all. Now he calls them a n cover band( which I agree with) Some of you act like how dare you criticize the ABB. Man some of you can sure dish it out but you can't take it when you are on the receiving end. Thin skinned in my book.

Posted : November 1, 2014 11:36 am
DougieJ
(@dougiej)

After 14 years of Gregg and the little drummer boy bashing Dickey and Dickey not saying one negative word at all. Now he calls them a n cover band( which I agree with) Some of you act like how dare you criticize the ABB. Man some of you can sure dish it out but you can't take it when you are on the receiving end. Thin skinned in my book.

Who says people cant take it, let Dickey say what he wants, I don't care. I am just giving my opinion on how the music sounds, not the personalities. What have Derek or Warren ever done to get thrown under the bus as part of a tribute band. Betts recently also said Warren & Derek were basically just a copy of Duane & Dickey. That's real nice. You think they have no creativity in their craft? Who do you think Clapton would rather play with, Derek or Dickey? Like I said, Dickey's playing has been sloppy for a good 15 years, you can predict about every note he is going to play. The only creative thing he is done in the last 15 years is use someone else's riff, Franklin Towers, to lead into his own tune. And if like Dickey says, all the ABB do is play half of his songs anyway, that would mean that they would be playing Blue Skies, IMOER and Jessica (twice) in the first and second set of every show. He's just a mean old guy. Brothers & Sisters would have been half the album it was if not for Chuck Levell. Everything else after that album by a Dickey lead band was down hill into a country let direction for a hard blues/jazz influenced band.

Posted : November 1, 2014 11:55 am
emr
 emr
(@emr)
Prominent Member

I do know based on who I would wan't in a street fight next to me:

1 - Warren wouldn't fight. He'd probably just round up others to do it.

2 - Derek is a nice guy; but I don't think he can beat up Susan

3 - Gregg - not a fighter. He's been married more times than he's been in a fight for sure. Probably call the police.

4 - Jaimo would fall asleep

5 - Butch would pretend to fight and get his ass kicked in.

6 - Marc probably can street fight

7 - Dickey is the guy I'd want there; even if he decided to bite off Evander Hollyfields ear

Posted : November 1, 2014 11:55 am
BIGV
 BIGV
(@bigv)
Famed Member

3 - Gregg - not a fighter. He's been married more times than he's been in a fight for sure. Probably call the police.

7 - Dickey is the guy I'd want there; even if he decided to bite off Evander Hollyfields ear

This reads like fighting is much more important to you than music.

Posted : November 1, 2014 12:29 pm
BIGV
 BIGV
(@bigv)
Famed Member

Some of you act like how dare you criticize the ABB.

Nope, not at all, just makes him no better than they are, now that he's dropped down to their level.

Me?.. I am no more a fan of Gregg's child like behavior and missed cues than I am of the stories of Dickey's bullying and his obviously deteriorated playing.

But skill sets?...Gimme what's left of the ABB and their takes of IMOER, Jessica, etc. over Great Southern, every day of the week.
Cool

Posted : November 1, 2014 12:38 pm
emr
 emr
(@emr)
Prominent Member

This reads like fighting is much more important to you than music.

I give my music opinions all the time (see above) You can't convince me after all these years that "V" doesn't know sarcasm?

Posted : November 1, 2014 12:50 pm
The_Newt
(@the_newt)
Reputable Member

People here have been critical of the ABB. Such as them getting rid of Moogis/live show streaming, high ticket prices, songs that get played too often, canceled Beacon shows/Beacon shows without Gregg, bands like ratdog opening, and how other bands like phish/gov't mule/DTB/TTB/Jaimoe's Jasssz Band and even Devon Allman's honeytribe allow people to trade audience recorded shows via bit torrent but the ABB doesn't.

If you've read older interviews from DB he's basically called the ABB a "tribute band/cover band"; but you can't expect him to be happy at all about being kicked out of the ABB.

Posted : November 1, 2014 2:13 pm
wease
(@wease)
Trusted Member

Nope, not at all, just makes him no better than they are, now that he's dropped down to their level.

Me?.. I am no more a fan of Gregg's child like behavior and missed cues than I am of the stories of Dickey's bullying and his obviously deteriorated playing.

But skill sets?...Gimme what's left of the ABB and their takes of IMOER, Jessica, etc. over Great Southern, every day of the week.
Cool

And twice on Sunday!

Posted : November 1, 2014 3:07 pm
emr
 emr
(@emr)
Prominent Member

Cool

And twice on Sunday!

Agreed; but I think DB & GS concerts are going to get more popluar now

Posted : November 2, 2014 4:33 am
fanfrom-71
(@fanfrom-71)
Noble Member

Went and and saw typical Dickey last night....and he was being his typical Dickey self.

Giving his time & talent so some kids who might not otherwise eat a good meal on Thanksgiving and Christmas, and have a couple toys to play with like other kids who might not be stuck in such a desperate situation.

Tapping his heart as he told everyone who came how much he appreciated all who where there...for taking the time, and spending their hard earned cash, for such a great cause.

Going on a drunken political ramble by saying..."a lot of people died so you could vote, so go out and vote. I don't care WHO you vote for...just vote"

Taking his time, even though he collected no money himself for the show he just did, to talk and sign for fans waiting to see him after the free gig.

Gregg does that stuff twice on lots of Sunday's....

Then...to have to listen to....the tone of that guitar.
It all just sucked....

Posted : November 2, 2014 5:09 am
KCJimmy
(@kcjimmy)
Honorable Member

I would say the part about the band being "an allman bros. tribute band" is false.

Yes that is absolutely false. He knew he was wrong to say it too. None of the ABB have commented on DB & GS being a tribute band even though they are structured just tad (like completely) like the ABB. They don't schedule interviews to bash DB. They agree to do interviews and deal with the obvious questions. Maybe not so well on occasion but it sure could have been worse.

You know it was DB that let them down, not the other way around. A little more re-hab and a lot less lawyering would have gone a long way. His ego said "They can't make it without me". Turns out they did and they learned it was better and more enjoyable without him. But the fact remains he chose not to come back.

Edit:

Re last nights show, I hope it was great! No one said he was not generous.

[Edited on 11/2/2014 by KCJimmy]

Posted : November 2, 2014 9:01 am
Ed
 Ed
(@ed)

The fax are I mean facts. The Allman Brothers band can not play any concert without the music that Dickey Betts had his hand in composing. Dickey has most of time taken the high road in this so called feud. I would imagine Dickey has feelings for that band he is only human. But in all this ending of a legendary band for some its not about the music its about the money.
Ed

Posted : November 2, 2014 12:58 pm
midrider335
(@midrider335)

I love Dickey but the fact is he was kicked out of the ABB because he CAN'T PLAY ANYMORE. Sad but true. Period.

Posted : November 3, 2014 8:30 am
tbomike
(@tbomike)
Noble Member

Posted : November 3, 2014 8:34 am
fanfrom-71
(@fanfrom-71)
Noble Member

Well...that was certainly an abomination. It was even worse live!
No one was on the same page in the song. The tones of the guitars was god awful. And did you see the way the mean ol' ogre yelled and screamed at his guitar tech?!

😉

Posted : November 3, 2014 9:58 am
Ed
 Ed
(@ed)

The sad part is people thinking Dickey can't play. Is he in his prime ? No he is almost 71 years old. Its like trying to teach the blind colors it can't be done. That's how it is with the Dickey Betts haters.
You will never be able to change a closed mind. Does dickey have his demons? Yes he still does but I an no saint and neither is Dickey. I saw dickey this past summer and he was in fine form. I took this video. Nobody in the world has the tone like this man.
Ed

[Edited on 11/3/2014 by Ed]

Posted : November 3, 2014 10:10 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: