The Allman Brothers Band
The band is calling...

Notifications
Clear all

The band is calling it quits at the right time!

60 Posts
34 Users
0 Likes
23 K Views
gina
 gina
(@gina)

Let me start out by saying I am a huge Allman Brothers fan!I have been to tons of shows over the years and will be at the Saturday and Tuesday finale after seeing the Tuesday and Wednesday shows.That out of the way let me state that Gregg is no longer up to the task any longer and I think Warren and Derek knew it when they decided to walk away.Gregg has his moments and his voice really is the signature sound of the band but at this point he is an albatross around the band.His voice was to my ears weak during the 2 shows I saw,He constantly missed cues and came in at the wrong time or not at all and he forgets lyrics constantly.Yes,he has been doing it for some time but it definitely detracts from the show and is going to get worse as time goes on.He seems better able to function in his own band where the pace is slowed down but in the fast paced numbers with the Allman Brothers he just seems to get lost or be unable to keep up.This is not an attack on Gregg as he is one of the all time great rock singers and the band itself can still play at an outer worldly level but one has to be honest when watching the current band.I do hope Gregg can rise to the occasion for the last few shows and the band can go out in a blaze of glory as they deserve to!

First, nobody wants rose colored glasses reviews. People want the truth.

However, to say Gregg is not up to the task any longer is a judgement call. If he had a bad show, okay you can say that, but to say that he cannot do it at all anymore, that is a judgement and I don't think that is true.

We have enjoyed Moogis shows for a couple of years and we have seen Gregg fantastic on some songs on some shows on some nights, therefore, he IS able to do it. If the shows you saw were sub-par, okay, but it does not mean he CANNOT do it, he just might not have delivered on those nights.

Does he have an obligation to deliver on every night? Yeah he does, as a professional. But just like anybody else, we all have good days and not good days at work, and yes the Beacon shows are work, that's what he does for a living.

He did not want to retire, the fact is he is NOT retiring, the band is retiring, and the individual players will be back after rest, relaxation and playing with other musicians till they are happy with the sound, and then they will be back doing shows.

So this is not the end, it may be the end of the band in it's current form, or the band all together, but the guys will get together, and probably jam again, and then see where it goes.

Posted : October 24, 2014 3:02 pm
gina
 gina
(@gina)

Caught two slight flubs Wed night - lyric on first part of Desdemona and Statesboro. Other than that thought Gregg was very good. Especially strong on Come & Go Blues, BHW and shorter blues like Trouble and Don't Keep. Wed night was great show. Don't compare Gregg to the Almighty (for sure) compare him to what is out there. Much, much, much rather listen to anything Gregg Allman sings than lads like J Bell or C Robinson.

Studio CD's come out perfect, but not with just one take of a song, not usually. Live performances always have flaws, that is the nature of live music and what makes it real. We aren't perfect and neither are they, we are all just humans.

Posted : October 24, 2014 3:04 pm
aiko
 aiko
(@aiko)

sorry to see the end. it has been a good run. great music, great times. thanks to the band. thanks to the fans.

final show on the 28th.
duane's (RIP) accident on the 29th.
fits well.

peace

Posted : October 24, 2014 3:34 pm
fanfrom-71
(@fanfrom-71)
Noble Member

.we have seen Gregg fantastic on some songs on some shows on some nights, therefore, he IS able to do it. If the shows you saw were sub-par, okay, but it does not mean he CANNOT do it, he just might not have delivered on those nights.

Sounds like a conversation from '75... 😉

Posted : October 24, 2014 4:02 pm
CB
 CB
(@cb)
Estimable Member

So this is not the end, it may be the end of the band in it's current form, or the band all together, but the guys will get together, and probably jam again, and then see where it goes.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

I hope you are right.

But it seems to me that it was that other guitar player that always seemed to pull the band back together. Warren rejoining might not have happened if Alan Woody hadn't passed away.

Great Southern guitars and bass -> Enlightened Rogues
DBB Guitars, bass, and piano -> Seven Turns

Posted : October 24, 2014 4:11 pm
2old2boogie
(@2old2boogie)

I'll be 63 in December, 4 years younger than Gregg. First saw them 2/11/1970 late show at FE and I was hooked - I was 18, Gregg was 22. I lived a fairly clean and healthy life, and I don't even have the energy to go to the 10/27 show - gave my ticket to a friend. How Gregg keeps going, I don't know. My last show was 5th row Center on 3/5/13, and Gregg looked and sounded amazing. I didn't get home until 4am, and it seriously took me a week to recover and for my ears to stop ringing. So, from my perspective, I will give Gregg a lot of credit for staying out on the road. I don't ever think he did it for the money. I think it's all he knows. I saw him play a dump bar in Queens back in '85 or '86, during those sad, dark non-ABB years, on a cold, awful weekday night. The owner didn't let him go on until after 1am, and there were maybe 30 people there. Gregg gave it all he had, like he was playing the biggest gig of his life. I still don't know how he survived losing Duane, but he did. So, I'll give Gregg Allman a big thanks for literally a lifetime of the best music I've ever heard.

Posted : October 24, 2014 6:08 pm
fanfrom-71
(@fanfrom-71)
Noble Member

I'll be 63 in December, 4 years younger than Gregg. First saw them 2/11/1970 late show at FE and I was hooked - I was 18, Gregg was 22. I lived a fairly clean and healthy life, and I don't even have the energy to go to the 10/27 show - gave my ticket to a friend. How Gregg keeps going, I don't know. My last show was 5th row Center on 3/5/13, and Gregg looked and sounded amazing. I didn't get home until 4am, and it seriously took me a week to recover and for my ears to stop ringing. So, from my perspective, I will give Gregg a lot of credit for staying out on the road. I don't ever think he did it for the money. I think it's all he knows. I saw him play a dump bar in Queens back in '85 or '86, during those sad, dark non-ABB years, on a cold, awful weekday night. The owner didn't let him go on until after 1am, and there were maybe 30 people there. Gregg gave it all he had, like he was playing the biggest gig of his life. I still don't know how he survived losing Duane, but he did. So, I'll give Gregg Allman a big thanks for literally a lifetime of the best music I've ever heard.

Good post. Always said Gregg is a survivor of the Keith Richards club caliber.
I do believe honestly one of the ways he survived loosing Duane is Dickey Betts.

Posted : October 24, 2014 6:18 pm
Labrat
(@labrat)

Great post 2old2boogie.
I hope you don't regret not going to the 10/27 show.

Posted : October 24, 2014 6:21 pm
mustangbob
(@mustangbob)
Trusted Member

Guess I have to agree with redlegs here. So whats the purpose of the post. To point out the obvious one more time. To detract from the end. Not disputing your comments just curious about the need to present them at this time. Sometimes it feels like this website is getting as tired as the band's namesake.

he can post WHATEVER HE WANTS. i don't understand the holier then tho people on this board that think you cant post anything ABOUT THE SHOW that's not rose colored. that's what we are here for! if he thought that Gregg didn't sound good, then let him talk about it, i for one WANT to hear what people think. i was at both shows too, and i agree with him. am i still enjoying the shows? yes i am. but in no way shape or form does this feel like the last 6 shows, feels like the same show they have been playing for 5 years, AND ITS OK TO SAY IT.

Taking some heat for my post. My thoughts are as follows. First people are saying that they want to hear reviews of shows whether they be good or bad not just reviews through rose colored glasses. I agree. So do I since I will be there next week. I want to hear honest opinions. The original post was not a review of a show but in my opinion as I stated , a statement of the obvious. Nothing new provided, just a rehash of past posts ad nauseum. I agree with the poster but as I said it seems tired. Over the last few years I have annually attended the Peach, Wanee, Beacon and Tower shows. Gregg's decline is obvious. I go for Warren and Derek, not Gregg which is why I loved the last two shows of the March run so much, but I digress. And the original poster can post whatever he wants. Indeed he did. The same holds true for me. And folks critiqued my comments just as I did his. Finally I really do believe that there has been a subtle overall decline on this site, just like with Gregg and as a participating member I share responsibility. Now, where did I put those rose colored glasses

Posted : October 25, 2014 12:47 am
fanfrom-71
(@fanfrom-71)
Noble Member

I really do believe that there has been a subtle overall decline on this site,

Subtle? 😮

Posted : October 25, 2014 4:56 am
bettyhynes
(@bettyhynes)
Reputable Member

sounds like the shows so far at the Beacon have been less than stellar..sorry to hear that.
However,I found their 2nd night at Peachfest to be one of the best I've ever seen...& I've seen them in multiple venues over the years & they were all great that night.I recommend buying that cd of night 2.

Posted : October 25, 2014 8:27 am
jeneil
(@jeneil)

Y'all are crazy!

They're still a guitar powerhouse for a few more shows. Gregg is aging, no doubt. Give it a rest and dig the final shows. See ya in the loge Monday and down front Tuesday!

Posted : October 25, 2014 8:38 am
bump827
(@bump827)
Estimable Member

Friday night was epic, no other words to describe it. Maybe they saw you're post and gave you the Farmer two bird salute Smile

I have the Brian tribute t-shirt on today - on my way for Night 4

Posted : October 25, 2014 10:59 am
BNAKED
(@bnaked)
Eminent Member

I love this band and appreciate when someone is critical and honest. I realize alot if people do not want to admit to themselves if the go to a show they do not enjoy. Prefer honest feedback over I was there so it was great most give. Many take it personally when someone is critical. If every show is the best ever, thwn when there us a really good one it gets lost in the shuffle and diminished. Being there also gives a different take based on the individuals experience. I have been to many shows, most really good, couple stinkers, and a couple wow shows. I know this is all subjective but if I told everyone the Hershey show I went to was yhe best (it was worse I have seen), even though I had a blast, and someone then listened off that opinion, they would think the abb aren't so great and ignore it when there is a really great show (like sat '10 wanee). Sorry, but it annoys me when people can't be honest giving there opinions when I think many want a honest assessment over fluff. Alan Paul reccommends the instant live fromfri, not every show, so I value that opinion more over the fluffers

Posted : October 26, 2014 4:34 am
BNAKED
(@bnaked)
Eminent Member

sounds like the shows so far at the Beacon have been less than stellar..sorry to hear that.
However,I found their 2nd night at Peachfest to be one of the best I've ever seen...& I've seen them in multiple venues over the years & theify were all great that night.I recommend buying that cd of night 2.

I have seen alot of positive comments on that sun show. this shocked us, since muliple times we commented on how people didn't seem to be enjoying it. I personally preferred the 1st night, but it had more to do with the experience. Sat had a jacked up crowd and energy to the show. People dancing and having a blast. Sunday the crowd was dead, very quiet and security kept shutting down any dancing. We had to move 2 times becouse it was so distracting. On listening, Sunday was a good show, dispite the crowd but Saturday was probably the best experience I had at a show just from how into it everyone was. Not a trey fan, but his set was fun and got the crowd going, and it continued into the abb set. Neither night was one of the best sounding show I have been to but Saturday was a great experience there and I listen to be taken back. It was hard for me to get past so many there being disinterested on sun. I have both now nights but neither are regularly played in tge CD player. Immediately after the sun show I wasn't impressed but on relistening I can see the crowd and venue brought the enjoyment level down. And sat was the opposite, not as awesome as I felt when over and the crowd raised my enjoyment of the show. Day show versus night had alot to do with it and I'm sure the crowd was exhausted by sun.

Posted : October 26, 2014 5:01 am
bettyhynes
(@bettyhynes)
Reputable Member

Listening to some it would sound like ABB were on its last legs & can hardly pull it together to finish a set...& others think it to be a phenomenal show! I think I have a bit of an idea why there can be quite differing views on the same Allman Brothers show;
One thing is I think there can be very differing 'expectations' of these individuals onstage or the band as a whole.(I don't think the volume of shows seen by the judge plays a part)
or; the atitude or general tone level of the person viewing the show may vary greatly,whether they're generally pessimistic or optimistic about things.or;the amount of $ the person payed for the show can vary widely in that some 'will not' pay over cost for a show while others are willing to expend huge amounts of cash to see a band.Those that overpayed can feel ripped off if its not a 'miraculous' show.(I sat next to a guy who was cursing up a storm at an Eagles show recently at MSG,he felt ripped off as the seats were too close to the glass & was ready to pund heads in.I was fine with things..but I payed a discounted $130 for a last minute ticket while he payed an unbelievable $800 for an early one.I could understand why he was pissed & getting drunk) or some people are willing to allow that musicians individually can have an off-night & simply refocus their attention to another bandmember when one is off, realizing its inevitable that 1 will surely be off once in awhile & it doesn't affect their overall opinion.There are probably other factors too.

This probably explains a bit of why sum love a show & some hate it...nones really wrong on it but some of the above can be considered.
I think what some are saying though,right or wrong for thinking it, is that 'Look,its over soon,can't we just make the best of whats left & keep it upbeat,unless they deliberately did something to hurt the fans".

Its been a good run-45 years ('cept for that brief 15 year period in the middle,that was a bit weak & messed up) but I still say... Thanks...

[Edited on 10/30/2014 by bettyhynes]

Posted : October 26, 2014 10:40 am
bump827
(@bump827)
Estimable Member

Listening to some it would sound like ABB were on its last legs & can hardly pull it together to finish a set...& others think it to be a phenomenal show! I think I have a bit of an idea why there can be quite differing views on the same Allman Brothers show;
One thing is I think there can be very differing 'expectations' of these individuals onstage or the band as a whole.(I don't think the volume of shows seen by the judge plays a part)
or; the atitude or general tone level of the person viewing the show may vary greatly,whether they're generally pessimistic or optimistic about things.or;the amount of $ the person payed for the show can vary widely in that some 'will not' pay over cost for a show while others are willing to expend huge amounts of cash to see a band.Those that overpayed can feel ripped off if its not a 'miraculous' show.(I sat next to a guy who was cursing up a storm at an Eagles show recently at MSG,he felt ripped off as the seats were too close to the glass & was ready to pund heads in.I was fine with things..but I payed a discounted $130 for a last minute ticket while he payed an unbelievable $800 for an early one.I could understand why he was pissed & getting drunk) or some people are willing to allow that musicians individually can have an off-night & simply refocus their attention to another bandmember when one is off, realizing its inevitable that 1 will surely be off once in awhile & it doesn't affect their overall opinion.There are probably other factors too.

This probably explains a bit of why sum love a show & some hate it...nones really wrong on it but some of the above can be considered.
I think what some are saying though,right or wrong for thinking it, is that 'Look,its over soon,can't we just make the best of whats left & keep it upbeat,unless they deliberately did something to hurt the fans".

Its been a good run-45 years,& I say Thanks.

Well stated. I know every band has off nights and long time fans are certainly able to both know it and make comments about it. There's just is no right or wrong opinion

Posted : October 26, 2014 11:08 am
bettyhynes
(@bettyhynes)
Reputable Member

...wonder if the naysayers still feel the same way..or if they want to reword some opinions in light of the last shows,comments or broadcast

maybe they already have...

Posted : October 29, 2014 6:52 pm
bump827
(@bump827)
Estimable Member

...wonder if the naysayers still feel the same way..or if they want to reword some opinions in light of the last shows,comments or broadcast

maybe they already have...

It was a glorious final show. But that doesn't prove this band can do it on a consistent basis and we have no idea of what's going on among the members. To me that Derek and Warren wanted to leave speaks volumes. Let this band go out in a blaze of good memories and not the way the year in general has gone. The facts are still Gregg had to cancel multiple performances. I give him a lot of credit for pulling it together. Let us have the final shows as good memories of the final stand

Posted : October 29, 2014 9:51 pm
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

You can construe certain commentary as "naysaying" if you want, but I think many fans of the Allman Brother's Band just wanted to see them go out on a high note and not be remembered as an oldies act, a band that routinely "phoned it in" or to eventually wind up in "BB Land".

I wasn't at Tuesday's show but by all accounts, this was the way most of us would like to see Duane's band remembered. I think the band made a statement here. Playing 3 sets - past the midnight curfew and ending with the song that they began with ... this was a powerful and emotional moment.

I hope that this moment is not tarnished by some sort of off the cuff and unrehearsed gratuitous reunion show down the road. I say this as a devout fan. They made a powerful closing statement. This is how they deserve to be remembered.

If you disagree, I'll understand. My opinion is intended as sincere and praiseful for the band.

Posted : October 30, 2014 5:47 am
CB
 CB
(@cb)
Estimable Member

I believe the band closed out in a fitting way. I don't expect a regrouped ABB anytime in the future. Certainly Warren, Derek, Oteil, and Marc appearing as guests with each others bands is and will always be great.

My greatest hope is that there are some recorded shows from previous periods that could still be released.
I'd love to have a crisp copy of a show from 75/76, 79, 89, 95/96/97, Jack Pearson shows, and Derek and Dickey shows. Lots of them out there to trade for, I know; but I'm thinking about something like the 9/26/73 show from the Brothers and Sisters Deluxe release.

Posted : October 30, 2014 5:57 am
gina
 gina
(@gina)

After listening to tracks from the 10/24 show, I do not think they should retire. Take a listen and then see if you can honestly say they should retire.

Blue Sky 3.4.14

No One Left to Run With 3.21.14

Dreams 10.24.14

Soulshine 10.24.14

Come and Go Blues 10.24.14

Midnight Rider 10.24.14

Trouble No More 10.24.14

Whippin Post – Circle – Whippin Post 10.24.14

Leave My Blues at Home 10.24.14

Hot Lanta 10.24.14

Posted : October 30, 2014 7:32 am
tbomike
(@tbomike)
Noble Member

Most of us have listened to it Gina. Gregg pulled something from deep within himself to make this happen. He cannot sing like this anymore on any kind of consistent basis within the framework of the ABB. Yes it is time for them to move on and they went out in style. It is over.

Posted : October 30, 2014 7:38 am
frank1708
(@frank1708)

I have been to approx 30% of all of the shows at the Beacon. To say I am going to miss them is an understatement. I for one am upset that this is the end. Not asking for a grueling touring schedule, why not play the beacon and a couple of festivals every year. Yes Gregg is older. He forgets lyrics. He misses ques, Newsflash, this has been going on for 8 years now, listen to the tapes. I saw a Dickey show in the 90's where he couldn't function, aweful. I used to sit in first 3 rows then. tickets were available. That seat was 7500 on stubhub for Tuesday night. This band and the ongoing legacey will never be reproduced and there is nothing close out there. The demand is there, Come on Warren, Derek, gentleman. It isnt time now to call it quits. They are still hittin the note, We will let them know when it is time.

20 shows a year, keep it going, Beacon, Florida, Atlanta , we will come everynight. they are still that good. 70 years old, glad gregg is still alive, He said he will still be playing until they take off stage in a box, I for one love when he messes up, we are pulling for him. No one makes the Beacon or anywhere else howl like he can

so sad............what to do next year???

Any suggestions

Posted : October 30, 2014 9:02 am
tbomike
(@tbomike)
Noble Member

I would suggest moving on.

Posted : October 30, 2014 9:24 am
BIGV
 BIGV
(@bigv)
Famed Member

Agreed. The problem with this "Why don't they just do 10-15 shows a year" idea, is that Derek and Warren want out. They are bored and want to move on with their own thing.....

Posted : October 30, 2014 11:57 am
fanfrom-71
(@fanfrom-71)
Noble Member

We will let them know when it is time.

Alrighty then....

Ya think?! 😉

Posted : October 30, 2014 3:41 pm
DOMEL
(@domel)

Itts the right time,.. But Gregs not going nowhere .He will be performing with Friends as always ..They will get together for reunions ,they will guest star for each other . Greg and company will now get boat loads of money for playing together . . You forget how Greg has no problem starting tours he don't finish .. Money as always will dictate the future . Its why the Stones keep playing its why the WHO is doing there 50th year tour.. They al need that retirement money

Posted : November 3, 2014 5:40 am
The_Newt
(@the_newt)
Reputable Member

Itts the right time,.. But Gregs not going nowhere .He will be performing with Friends as always ..They will get together for reunions ,they will guest star for each other . Greg and company will now get boat loads of money for playing together . . You forget how Greg has no problem starting tours he don't finish .. Money as always will dictate the future . Its why the Stones keep playing its why the WHO is doing there 50th year tour.. They al need that retirement money

True. I wouldn't be surprised if the ABB gets back together for the money.

Posted : November 3, 2014 12:05 pm
chiliD
(@chilid)

True. I wouldn't be surprised if the ABB gets back together for the money.

March 26, 2019 (with whoever's left)

Still waiting for a:
Devon Allman, Duane Betts
Berry Oakley Jr
Duane Trucks
gathering.

Don't think it'll ever happen, but it's just something to ponder.

Posted : November 3, 2014 12:42 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: