The Allman Brothers Band
The band is calling...

Notifications
Clear all

The band is calling it quits at the right time!

60 Posts
34 Users
0 Likes
23 K Views
jonbrach
(@jonbrach)
Topic starter

Let me start out by saying I am a huge Allman Brothers fan!I have been to tons of shows over the years and will be at the Saturday and Tuesday finale after seeing the Tuesday and Wednesday shows.That out of the way let me state that Gregg is no longer up to the task any longer and I think Warren and Derek knew it when they decided to walk away.Gregg has his moments and his voice really is the signature sound of the band but at this point he is an albatross around the band.His voice was to my ears weak during the 2 shows I saw,He constantly missed cues and came in at the wrong time or not at all and he forgets lyrics constantly.Yes,he has been doing it for some time but it definitely detracts from the show and is going to get worse as time goes on.He seems better able to function in his own band where the pace is slowed down but in the fast paced numbers with the Allman Brothers he just seems to get lost or be unable to keep up.This is not an attack on Gregg as he is one of the all time great rock singers and the band itself can still play at an outer worldly level but one has to be honest when watching the current band.I do hope Gregg can rise to the occasion for the last few shows and the band can go out in a blaze of glory as they deserve to!

Posted : October 24, 2014 6:28 am
bump827
(@bump827)
Estimable Member

I'm totally in agreement as sad as that sounds. Im sure we'll get labeled as traitors or "POS" for stating our opinions. After 40 something years of seeing this band I feel I've earned the right to state my opinion

Posted : October 24, 2014 6:31 am
redlegs
(@redlegs)
Estimable Member

If you are such a huge fan....why not let it be? Gregg is 70!! Did you think he was going to find the fountain of youth ? I get everyone has an opinion....but why can't we enjoy these last 4 shows with positivity for each other and the band?? I'm hitting the last two ( thank god) and I will accept them for what they are ...the last two times I get to see my favorite band. peace

Posted : October 24, 2014 6:34 am
Marley
(@marley)
Reputable Member

It's the time they want to stop. So yes, it's the right time.

Posted : October 24, 2014 6:39 am
mustangbob
(@mustangbob)
Trusted Member

Guess I have to agree with redlegs here. So whats the purpose of the post. To point out the obvious one more time. To detract from the end. Not disputing your comments just curious about the need to present them at this time. Sometimes it feels like this website is getting as tired as the band's namesake.

Posted : October 24, 2014 6:49 am
DCT
 DCT
(@dct)

Caught two slight flubs Wed night - lyric on first part of Desdemona and Statesboro. Other than that thought Gregg was very good. Especially strong on Come & Go Blues, BHW and shorter blues like Trouble and Don't Keep. Wed night was great show. Don't compare Gregg to the Almighty (for sure) compare him to what is out there. Much, much, much rather listen to anything Gregg Allman sings than lads like J Bell or C Robinson.

Posted : October 24, 2014 6:51 am
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

Go out on top - or as near to the top as you can. Don't be the last guy at the party ... all the cliches could apply.

But beyond all that - I thank Gregg and every member (past and present) of the band for giving me so many thrills and so much enjoyment in my life. They've certainly made their mark on music history and deserve to be remembered as one of the true great acts of all times. I only wish that I could be there to offer my thanks - screaming, whistling and clapping until my throat and hands were raw! Hoping to not sound too cheesy or sappy, but the Allman Brother's Band will always be a HUGE part of me.

Posted : October 24, 2014 6:56 am
ABBfan78
(@abbfan78)

Guess I have to agree with redlegs here. So whats the purpose of the post. To point out the obvious one more time. To detract from the end. Not disputing your comments just curious about the need to present them at this time. Sometimes it feels like this website is getting as tired as the band's namesake.

he can post WHATEVER HE WANTS. i don't understand the holier then tho people on this board that think you cant post anything ABOUT THE SHOW that's not rose colored. that's what we are here for! if he thought that Gregg didn't sound good, then let him talk about it, i for one WANT to hear what people think. i was at both shows too, and i agree with him. am i still enjoying the shows? yes i am. but in no way shape or form does this feel like the last 6 shows, feels like the same show they have been playing for 5 years, AND ITS OK TO SAY IT.

Posted : October 24, 2014 7:06 am
mikesolo
(@mikesolo)
Honorable Member

I have been going steadily for 20+ years. Gregg has often missed cues and lyrics for a long time, but certainly more of late. That said, he was pretty much spot on for the whole show on Wednesday, his voice and playing were also solid. Agree it is probably time to call it for the band, but they are doing it at the right time now, not too late in the game. I see it as just over the edge of going out on top and am glad to have the opportunity to catch a few of these last shows.

Posted : October 24, 2014 7:10 am
bump827
(@bump827)
Estimable Member

If you are such a huge fan....why not let it be? Gregg is 70!! Did you think he was going to find the fountain of youth ? I get everyone has an opinion....but why can't we enjoy these last 4 shows with positivity for each other and the band?? I'm hitting the last two ( thank god) and I will accept them for what they are ...the last two times I get to see my favorite band. peace

Very easy. If you see a subject you don't like - just don't look at it or bash those who agree. Last time I looked the U.S. was founded on the principle of free speech. The title of this thread is pretty easy to understand.

Posted : October 24, 2014 7:21 am
ABBfan78
(@abbfan78)

I'm totally in agreement as sad as that sounds. Im sure we'll get labeled as traitors or "POS" for stating our opinions. After 40 something years of seeing this band I feel I've earned the right to state my opinion

DAMN RIGHT YOU DO!

Posted : October 24, 2014 7:48 am
wordo
(@wordo)

I have been a fan of the band since HS and Im a "newer fan" at 44...
I have loved every incarnation of this band along the way (mostly)

I do think Gregg has gotten worse and worse each run, the near baby sitting Warren or Derek does to keep him in time has been sad to watch and getting worse

the line flubs yes are par for the course, but its not good, and would have been more appropriate to have quit BEFORE it got to where it is now.

Warren, Derek and the All Stars they put together make these Beacon Shows click
except for the 40th final all by themselves night which was phenomenal.

But watching Gregg is painful at times, and diminishes the legacy of the band as a live monster.
I speak for me, but I go at this point to watch the dynamics between Warren and Derek

That being said last year when Gregg vanished mid-show and didn't play next night I felt like crying..and I bash him more than most.
But him not on stage even just playing keys felt strange and sad.

I overpaid for last 2 nights will be sad when they are done...and you can be a fan
and
A. NOT ACCEPT IT FOR WHAT IT IS
B. ADMIT THE SINGER WHO'S NAMESAKE IS THE BAND...AT TIMES PULLS THE BAND DOWN
AND YES
C. STILL PAY AND ATTEND SHOWS.

So clearly by going
I ACCEPT IT FOR WHAT IT IS, AND WILL MOURN THE LOSS OF THE BAND I HAVE FOLLOWED AND CHANGED MY OPINION OF MUSIC...

and
THINK GREGGS STATE (BOTH ON AND OFF STAGE...remember the comments when the breakup was going down were asinine and unprofessional
and the
DICKEY'S HUNTING comments this week were bush league.

It sadly is time for this incarnation of band to retire and not let the public see a great figure fall from grace somewhat by his own doing.

If it ended with the 40-year shows and the guests and that powerhouse show that was the final night..would have been awesome

or at the tribute to Gregg show at the Fox was perfect as well..was a perfect sendoff to that man..and felt right.

I hope Tuesday he nails everything, setlist is perfect, and ends things in a wonderful fashion.
with ALL LIVING MEMBERS IN ATTENDANCE (YES THAT MEANS DICKEY)
AND WE GIVE THIS BAND THE SENDOFF IT DESERVES...and they send themselves off in the way a legend deserves.

ps: doesnt mean I wont state my opinion as a fan and follower if it is just a depressing bummer of a show (see Springsteens 1st east street reunion tour end, and Mohegan this year...wonderful but sad) and Gregg is not in form
but hopefully that will not be the case

pps: just cuz you love something doesnt mean you need to wear rose colored glasses and be a homer about it, Im a Red Sox fan (no comments on this) and the 1st to admit when they are not good, doing things just to fill seats and have no potential as a playoff team....
no this is not an analogy to band..just a point to make that you can passionately love something and see the flaws and not like them.

mahalo

[Edited on 10/24/2014 by wordo]

Posted : October 24, 2014 7:55 am
Shavian
(@shavian)
Reputable Member

I'm no professional musician but I can imagine that it must be frustrating to not be confident that a fellow band member won't a flub a lyric, miss a cue or, worse still, come in at the wrong place.

They must have to be constantly vigilant and wondering how they will retrieve any situations. It can't make for an enjoyable performance.

Posted : October 24, 2014 8:09 am
fanfrom-71
(@fanfrom-71)
Noble Member

.If it ended with the 40-year shows and the guests and that powerhouse show that was the final night..would have been awesome.

Then the 9-7-2014 show would have never been played...which is by far the best performance Gregg/this lineup has played in many years.

Posted : October 24, 2014 8:34 am
ABBfan78
(@abbfan78)

i do agree Gregg's comments about Dickey and the Hunting trip this week was bush league, whats up with that? just tell the interviewer he wont be there and leave it at that.

Posted : October 24, 2014 8:35 am
bump827
(@bump827)
Estimable Member

i do agree Gregg's comments about Dickey and the Hunting trip this week was bush league, whats up with that? just tell the interviewer he wont be there and leave it at that.

When has discretion been in Gregg's language skills lol?

Absolutely right - all we needed was the band talked about it and we agreed that no guests for this six show run

Posted : October 24, 2014 8:54 am
wordo
(@wordo)

Then the 9-7-2014 show would have never been played...which is by far the best performance Gregg/this lineup has played in many years.

there have been a number of excellent shows since then...but that doesnt change certain things..
I'll bring up this time an analogy.
While I think that the Stones were probably a brilliant band in the 70's
I have seen them many times and most shows to me feel like paint by numbers (the Brothers ARE NEVER PAINT BY NUMBERS SO BEFORE YOU ATTACK, LET ME FINISH)
Im sure one of every 10 shows or so you may go NOW I GET IT...

I never want this band to become that nor be seen of this way...and the more Gregg flubs lines, misses cues
or just says stupid things in the media about the band or hunting, or Oteil is leaving (which he had to comment on..really..no need, also bush league)
he will become a Spinal Tap like figure to most people and while a brilliant show still happens
you dont want
paint by number STONES
or
90-minute we dont even play full songs we play medleys Skynyrd.

Posted : October 24, 2014 8:58 am
glenn
(@glenn)
Eminent Member

Just enjoy the shows. Now your at a point that most songs played will be the last version ever of that song played from this Amazing band !

Can't wait for tonight. And i loved both Tues. and Wed. shows.

Posted : October 24, 2014 8:59 am
Bros4ever
(@bros4ever)
Eminent Member

he can post WHATEVER HE WANTS. i don't understand the holier then tho people on this board that think you cant post anything ABOUT THE SHOW that's not rose colored. that's what we are here for! if he thought that Gregg didn't sound good, then let him talk about it, i for one WANT to hear what people think. i was at both shows too, and i agree with him. am i still enjoying the shows? yes i am. but in no way shape or form does this feel like the last 6 shows, feels like the same show they have been playing for 5 years, AND ITS OK TO SAY IT.

right on!!!!!

Posted : October 24, 2014 9:03 am
gmfeld
(@gmfeld)

.If it ended with the 40-year shows and the guests and that powerhouse show that was the final night..would have been awesome.

Really? It was going great, until Gregg's major screw up coming in at the wrong time in Blue Sky took a lot of the wind out of the set for me.

Posted : October 24, 2014 9:19 am
fanfrom-71
(@fanfrom-71)
Noble Member

Really? It was going great, until Gregg's major screw up coming in at the wrong time in Blue Sky took a lot of the wind out of the set for me.

Anytime Gregg sings anything on Blue Sky....it takes the wind out of it for me.
The playing on that song, as well as the rest of the performance...was outstanding.

Posted : October 24, 2014 9:24 am
wordo
(@wordo)

So lets hope for a memorable last week and see what happens

Posted : October 24, 2014 9:40 am
BIGV
 BIGV
(@bigv)
Famed Member

Gregg is 70!!

Cool

Posted : October 24, 2014 10:50 am
hotlantatim
(@hotlantatim)
Prominent Member

Gregg was excellent in his Gregg & Friends performance at MusicMidtown last month. I suspect he'll have his sea legs under him for these final 4 shows.

I think Gregg has a hearing problem with the ABB that he doesn't experience with his own band and sometimes I think the soundman needs to simply turn him up.

Still nothing like that voice and I'm looking forward to 4 hot shows...remotely, after the fact on recordings and through the reports of you who are Beacon bound!

Posted : October 24, 2014 10:50 am
TheGuru
(@theguru)
Trusted Member

Who is attacking Gregg? By the way, he is 66 and will be 67 in December; he is not 70. Gregg is the one who earlier in the year stated that the band would go on. He is not been up to the task with the Allman Brothers Band for all of 2014 and for good parts of other recent years. He does not see the decline in his ability. That's fine, but don't expect people (especially people forking over large sums of $$$) to ignore it.

Posted : October 24, 2014 11:56 am
bump827
(@bump827)
Estimable Member

Who is attacking Gregg? By the way, he is 66 and will be 67 in December; he is not 70. Gregg is the one who earlier in the year stated that the band would go on. He is not been up to the task with the Allman Brothers Band for all of 2014 and for good parts of other recent years. He does not see the decline in his ability. That's fine, but don't expect people (especially people forking over large sums of $$$) to ignore it.

You nailed it on the head. Gregg hasn't done anything personal to me with the exception of costing me a bunch of cash (my decision) that I don't feel he's earning. But after these few shows the ABB simply IMHO will not be able to get these paydaya without Derek Warren and possibly Oteil. I've seen Gregg and Friends and personally did not enjoy them enough to justify paying to see them again. As part of Xmas Jam - with Warren added on guitar - they were fine last December.

Posted : October 24, 2014 12:07 pm
wordo
(@wordo)

Sealegs?!?!?
seriously he doesnt get on the road except when he's in the hospital.

Posted : October 24, 2014 12:54 pm
allbrosbd
(@allbrosbd)

Hey now,

Very simple, very easy to understand, less to believe:

The boys are a great part of the American music landscape; as are Grateful Dead. Having said that,
bands like the abb and dead EARNED THE RIGHT TO RETIRE; both bands gave us all there is to give (the free taping at shows which I have used over 100 times, amazing 4 hour shows,etc ).

I just retired mysel;f and just in time to feel the accomplishments of a creative and caring
life --the abb and gd were blueprints for my life choices, They have earned the right to say
"the show is over."---and maybe say among themselves--look how many thousands we've made happy. Cool [img]

The road goes on forever......

allbrosbd

Posted : October 24, 2014 1:04 pm
fender31
(@fender31)
Noble Member

Love this band!!! Derek and Warren are leaving at the right time.. The creativity is not their anymore..Gregg has been in a long Songwriting drought. Now with Warren leaving their is little chance of these guys ever recording new material.. 2 studio albums in the last 20 years.

Posted : October 24, 2014 2:02 pm
axeman
(@axeman)
Prominent Member

I am grateful for people posting honest comments about their opinions of these final shows. I am stuck at home and can't go to any of them. I would like to know what they were like as much as possible.

Posted : October 24, 2014 2:43 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: