The Allman Brothers Band
Notifications
Clear all

What Does Vaccination Mean in Real Life?

Page 4 / 9
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

I really think this is going to open up to everyone pretty soon. I got mine within a day and Chicago reached out to me, not the other way around.

CVS in Illinois doesn't have them at all I believe.

Here's an odd one. A good buddy of mine was trying to get an appointment and couldn't because he doesn't live in the city of Chicago. So he registered, saying he as a medical issue because he likes to have a cigar when he drinks (so he's a smoker) and hence has a medical condition. 

He's the most pious person you could ever meet and I flat out told him I disagreed with this. Almost seemed like "line jumping" to get a shot. But he's also the most paranoid person I've ever met in my life. 🙄 

You got to go to hell before you get to Heaven.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 20, 2021 9:04 am
Rusty liked
goldtop
(@goldtop)
Ultimate Peach

I signed up on a pre-registration list about a week ago. My state just opened it up for my age group. I received an email that there were available appointments and I scheduled my first dose for this coming Wednesday. I will continue to avoid crowds and wear a mask...

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 20, 2021 1:36 pm
Rusty liked
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

They gave me Moderna this morning.  They were going to give out Pfizer in the afternoon for first shot patients.  Just rotating back and forth it sounds like. This satellite hospital clinic has not had any Johnson and Johnson.  One of their other branches got a thousand or two a few weeks back but they have not gotten any more since (heard news story that J&J vaccine production has not lived up to expectations).

So Moderna.  Shoulder is pretty sore, much more sore than I expected.  I go back in 4 weeks for second shot.

Ohio has authorized anyone 16 and older to get a shot if there are extra doses available, and there are reports there have been.  I don't know, but does that sounds like there is more vaccine than people wanting to get it?  Read stories of some people not showing up for their second doses?  Why would somebody go through the first dose and not get fully protected with their second dose?  People are finicky things.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 23, 2021 10:42 pm
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Peach Extraordianire

@nebish

Think Americans want everything to be easy. I don't have anything beyond anecdotal info, but some people didn't like the "sore arm" you experienced after moderna dose #1. There's a spoiled segment of the population that wants everything handed to us as quickly, easily, & painlessly as possible - they'd rather buy their kids a place in college than actually have the kid get the grades, do the work, write the essay, & actually be an athlete or member of a service club. Some people don't want the Covid test that is painful. We're talking life & death here. You don't want a minute of a nasal cavity pinching?

That may be overblown, but it's what I hear. There are any number of reasons why people don't keep their dose #2 appointment, including no transportation, lack of child care, lack of elder or respite care, and for the elderly, some other illness that prevents them from traveling. Anti-vaxxers are also putting on peer pressure to not get the vax at all or not to go for #2 if they got 1 dose. I suppose 1 dose is better than no dose.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 24, 2021 1:07 pm
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
World Class Peach

Get my second one this week. I had zero side effects, my wife's arm got cold afterward and she had chills but no fever later that night. That was it. Both got Pfizer.

"There is never any end. There are always new sounds to imagine; new feelings to get at. And always, there is the need to keep purifying these feelings and sounds so that we can really see what we've discovered in its pure state." John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 24, 2021 2:43 pm
nebish liked
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach
Posted by: @oldcoot

Get my second one this week. I had zero side effects, my wife's arm got cold afterward and she had chills but no fever later that night. That was it. Both got Pfizer.

Again, I'm very happy for you Steve. And Scott as well. I hope you guys aren't considered a "spoiled segment of the population". 😉 

I get number two next week. I was tired after was first shot. Just thankful! 😀 

This post was modified 3 months ago by Lee

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 24, 2021 7:08 pm
nebish liked
goldtop
(@goldtop)
Ultimate Peach

Got my first pfizer shot this morning about 10...so far I've had no reaction...I go back on April 13th for my second shot

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 24, 2021 7:13 pm
nebish and cyclone88 liked
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Peach Extraordianire
Posted by: @lee

Again, I'm very happy for you Steve. And Scott as well. I hope you guys aren't considered a "spoiled segment of the population". 😉 

No one here's a spoiled segment of the population because we're all getting shots & are thankful for it. I was answering the question as to why people who get moderna #1 don't return for #2.

This post was modified 3 months ago by cyclone88
ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 24, 2021 7:33 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach
Posted by: @cyclone88

No one here's a spoiled segment of the population because we're all getting shots & are thankful for it. I was answering the question as to why people who get moderna #1 don't return for #2.

Wasn't trying to call you out or anything. Some people have side affects, some don't. As to why someone would get the first and not the second, your guess is as good as mine. Agreed.

To take that a step further, I live in Chicago and the city is bending over to make sure certain areas of the population get it. In some cases you have to live in a certain zip code to get it. And there really aren't any transportation issues here. Public transit runs everywhere. People can get to a service area in any of the designated zip codes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 24, 2021 7:51 pm
cyclone88 liked
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

Shoulder / arm was equally sore today, but didn't stop me from doing anything.  Feels fine now, but I've been drinking all night so might have something to do with it.

I would think that if somebody was committed to getting the first vaccine dose that getting the second vaccine dose would be next to the most important thing in life assuming one was wishing to be fully protected.  I am aware of some challenges that some people might have, but if they got the first, nothing should prevent them from getting the second.

We can speculate.  I don't really do that much any more.  I see something, I acknowledge said something, but I don't try to know or understand why people don't or do certain things.  It's up to them.  Otherwise, it's up to us...really, it's up to me, me is all I control - everyone else, they will do and get what they want I suppose.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 24, 2021 10:32 pm
cyclone88 liked
goldtop
(@goldtop)
Ultimate Peach

Morning update...I do have some slight soreness in my shoulder...other than that I've had no reaction. I go back 4/13 for my second dose

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 25, 2021 9:25 am
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

My wife and I just got vax appointments for this Monday. I'm pretty excited about that.

www.porkchopbob.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 25, 2021 4:29 pm
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
World Class Peach

Got my second dose yesterday, definite side effects this go around. From what I've read, that's mirroring your immune system kicking in. 

Well worth it. Wouldn't change a thing. T minus two weeks to pretty thorough protection. 

"There is never any end. There are always new sounds to imagine; new feelings to get at. And always, there is the need to keep purifying these feelings and sounds so that we can really see what we've discovered in its pure state." John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 27, 2021 11:11 am
nebish liked
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

@Sang, has your taste come back and have you been vaccinated?  My neighbor had covid and lost her taste that is only partially back.  Her doctor said that since she still has symptoms of covid that she should not get the vaccine.  Sounded strange to me, her positive case was back in November and I think the taste is the only ongoing symptom she is still having.  I think she should get vaccinated, her doctor says "don't be in a hurry yet".

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 27, 2021 10:24 pm
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
World Class Peach

My taste and smell have not come back - and I had it at Halloween.  Yes, Monday will be 2 weeks since my second dose of Moderna.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 27, 2021 10:28 pm
nebish liked
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
World Class Peach

Side effects lasted a day. Feel great this morning.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 28, 2021 10:01 am
nebish liked
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

Got shot two in Chicago today. The process to get the shot was odd. The first time I think I went through about 10 people scanning my code. Today I did it three times. It is still The National Guard doing it. This guy told me to go see this other guy. He asked me why I was there. I said that other guy told me to come see you. He asked me who. I said, I don't know, he just told me to come see you.

I apologized for bothering him and he said it was okay, it would break up the boredom. 

I went in there three hours before my appointment, still got in and hardly anyone was there.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 31, 2021 8:51 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

I have a strong feeling resistance against the vaccine is growing rather than subsiding. Speaking to friends who haven't gotten it yet and listening to callers on local talk radio - mistrust and misinformation is more widespread now from what I hear than it was a couple months ago. 

Driving to the Outer Banks this weekend. I've never been there. I've traveled a handful of times the last year plus,my wife hasn't gone anywhere almost literally. So will be a really nice trip for her. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 7, 2021 10:50 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
World Class Peach

It’s a footrace now, vaccine vs virus/variants - which one is gaining - virus started fast, vaccine made a comeback, now variants coming in off the bench, & vaccine improving

in my view, vaccine=Shorty, virus=Dan & like Dan, covid will end in 2nd place

hope to God anyway...

This post was modified 2 months ago by Stephen
ReplyQuote
Posted : April 7, 2021 11:04 am
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
World Class Peach
Posted by: @nebish

I have a strong feeling resistance against the vaccine is growing rather than subsiding. Speaking to friends who haven't gotten it yet and listening to callers on local talk radio - mistrust and misinformation is more widespread now from what I hear than it was a couple months ago. 

Driving to the Outer Banks this weekend. I've never been there. I've traveled a handful of times the last year plus,my wife hasn't gone anywhere almost literally. So will be a really nice trip for her. 

Curious situation that I just became aware of. My physician for years got the virus as did his wife (a close friend of my wife). She has gotten the vaccine, he, the doctor, is not going to. I just don't get that. You can get reinfected and he is seeing lots of patients daily. It just wouldn't seem like a prudent decision.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 7, 2021 12:31 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

One of the widely reported stories I remember early in vaccine availability was healthcare workers refusing the vaccines. 

Maybe people think that only 1 out of 10 people have got covid and then the percentages of hospitalized and dead lower percentages of that and I get the impression that the people I know who aren't getting vaccinated have remained actively working every day at work and think they didn't get it yet and they're playing the odds of still not getting it and if they do the odds they will recover. X factor being the ability to unknowingly spread it to somebody who might not be ok. This last variable doesn't seem to resonate. Then I know somebody who's like "just another way for 'them' to control us" or another still doubting its safety when looking back 5-10 years from now. 

That's one thing  

The local call-in skeptics are like crazy. Guy today said he works at a cemetery who says he personally buried 3 people who died from the vaccine. And others, calling in telling stories of supposed deaths not reported from vaccine reactions. Or "Johnson and Johnson just had a bunch of spoiled doses, how do we know there aren't more". Etc, etc, etc. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 7, 2021 12:55 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

Additionally, two other people, my female cousin and one of my wife's friends who do not take any medication...only natural homeopathic type treatments, both are not getting vaccinated. Just don't trust the drug companies and the drugs. And before anyone tries to make it a left vs right thing, both of these people very vocally hated Trump. With or without before or after Trump, some people just don't always do what others think they should be doing. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 7, 2021 1:00 pm
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

@nebish

My aunt and uncle, who are in their 70s, got their vax after local health care workers turned it down. I don't get it, how do you administer medicine yet not trust the latest medicine?

It's definitely not a partisan issue, seems to be people on either fringe. I know a few "holistic" folks who aren't getting vaxxed, for the reasons you said. A good friend's ex-wife, who went full on holistic yogi, only got vaxxed after her new boyfriend got Covid. She put up a whole self-indulgent, tone deaf post on Instagram about how brave she had to become to get vaxxed. Her healthcare worker friends really appreciated that.

I think it also speaks to what some people mistakenly believe is in a vaccine - it's still biological. It's not corn syrup. Some people just need to touch a hot stove, I guess...

www.porkchopbob.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 7, 2021 1:36 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

@oldcoot

Yeah, when I see stories about health care professionals not getting vaccinated, I am just floored. If I knew my doctor and/or nurse wouldn't get a vaccine there is no way I would seek medical treatment from them.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 7, 2021 4:18 pm
MartinD28 liked
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

I saw this news segment the other night and they were talking about the Moderna vaccine and that it might only be good for six months. Perhaps I am naive but I thought once you were fully vaccinated then that was it. Apparently not.

Then I saw another story and this doctor advised to not get your vaccine card laminated to protect it as you might need to use it again if you need a "booster" shot down the road. There are a few extra rows on the card for additional stickers. 🙄 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 7, 2021 4:28 pm
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

@lee I don't think they know exactly how long the vaccine will last - a flu shot doesn't last forever either. There are a lot of variables - like people not getting vaxxed, the other strains, herd immunity, etc - you just can't test for in a lab.

Also, you can laminate a copy of your card for now. I don't know anyone who has stickers on their card, and wouldn't assume they would change that procedure. All the cards I've seen are written on in pen or stamp.

www.porkchopbob.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 7, 2021 4:39 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach
Posted by: @porkchopbob

@lee I don't think they know exactly how long the vaccine will last - a flu shot doesn't last forever either. There are a lot of variables - like people not getting vaxxed, the other strains, herd immunity, etc - you just can't test for in a lab.

Also, you can laminate a copy of your card for now. I don't know anyone who has stickers on their card, and wouldn't assume they would change that procedure. All the cards I've seen are written on in pen or stamp.

The National Guard gave me stickers both times I went. Sort of like something you might see on a prescription bottle from your pharmacist. Says Pfizer, the drug I was given and the date of injection. I guess you are supposed to hang onto it in case you need to prove it to someone. Travel, getting into a ballgame, something like that.

I copied mine and have it on my smartphone.

Oh wait, that's a different discussion, isn't it? 😛 

This post was modified 2 months ago by Lee

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 7, 2021 4:49 pm
MartinD28
(@martind28)
World Class Peach

No surprise here. As the evangelicals avoid taking the vaccine and some spread it to "thy fellow man" I guess they think they can pray it away.See below:

"There are about 41 million white evangelical adults in the U.S. About 45% said in late February that they would not get vaccinated against COVID-19, making them among the least likely demographic groups to do so, according to the Pew Research Center."

https://news.yahoo.com/white-evangelicals-vaccine-refusal-could-184458952.html

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 7, 2021 4:58 pm
cyclone88 liked
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach
Posted by: @porkchopbob

The National Guard gave me stickers both times I went. Sort of like something you might see on a prescription bottle from your pharmacist. Says Pfizer, the drug I was given and the date of injection. I guess you are supposed to hang onto it in case you need to prove it to someone. Travel, getting into a ballgame, something like that.

I copied mine and have it on my smartphone.

Oh wait, that's a different discussion, isn't it? 😛 

And just to clarify, it wasn't that I didn't believe stickers were being used, just that in my experience and those I know, staff were using pens and stamps on the cards. Every place has their system.

www.porkchopbob.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 7, 2021 5:47 pm
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Peach Extraordianire
Posted by: @martind28

No surprise here. As the evangelicals avoid taking the vaccine and some spread it to "thy fellow man" I guess they think they can pray it away.See below:

"There are about 41 million white evangelical adults in the U.S. About 45% said in late February that they would not get vaccinated against COVID-19, making them among the least likely demographic groups to do so, according to the Pew Research Center."

https://news.yahoo.com/white-evangelicals-vaccine-refusal-could-184458952.html

I'm absolutely gobsmacked by this. I read it twice & still don't get the objection, especially if leading evangelists like Franklin Graham (who says the 2nd coming will be on YouTube) & someone from the Southern Baptist Convention are encouraging vaccination.

I'd find it plausible if Christian Scientists or Jehovah's Witnesses refused the vaxx, but 45 million white evangelicals? Are they refusing chemotherapy for cancer & medication for heart disease, diabetes, pneumonia, & liver disease? smh

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 7, 2021 6:44 pm
Page 4 / 9
Share: