The Allman Brothers Band
Notifications
Clear all

What Does Vaccination Mean in Real Life?

Page 1 / 7
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Peach Extraordianire

NYC seems to have gotten its vaccination program in hand. For 6 weeks all anyone has talked about is how they're getting their lives back & will be traveling again. The NYT had an article today on how vaccinated seniors are taking off for travel & listed places they're going (Hilton Head, Galapagos, cruises?) but recommending that selecting destinations should include the availability of medical care.

I'm missing something. Just because some people have been vaccinated in the US doesn't mean the world has opened up, does it? Restaurants, concerts & sports events haven't lifted capacity caps & except for Mexico, I didn't think US citizens could travel anywhere outside the US. And most of the US population isn't vaccinated so hotel/restaurant workers are still at risk & may/may not be working. Plus travel companions may not be eligible for vaccination.

Am I the only one who doesn't think a vaccination is a passport to pre-Covid? 

This topic was modified 3 months ago by cyclone88
Topic starter Posted : February 17, 2021 10:31 am
Chain
(@chain)
Peach Extraordianire

No, you’re not alone cyclone....Getting vaccinated doesn’t mean an individual can’t spread the virus to those not vaccinated.

I received my first dose last Friday and the fine folks from my county public health agency who ran the clinic were adamant about continuing to wear masks, social distance, washing hands, and limiting exposure to others not vaccinated. 

These instructions were given verbally before my shot was administered and when I was allowed to leave the clinic 15 minutes after the shot was received.  It’s also in writing on the documentation I received in order to attend my next scheduled clinic for the second follow-up dose.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 17, 2021 11:43 am
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Peach Extraordianire

@chain

Yes, that's the information I received, too, both orally & in writing. [The staff at the center couldn't have been nicer.] A lot of people seem to treat that info like the folders that come w/prescription drugs - tossable.

I don't say anything when others are recounting their proposed travel plans, but I'm thinking isn't that country still closed to Americans? Does your 52-year-old friend really want a visit from you from NYC? Are you planning to leave your 61-year-old spouse at home? 

I was invited to an indoor maskless non-social distanced passover seder (also Easter weekend 6 weeks from now) that would include vaccinated & non-vaccinated people plus college students & even THAT seems reckless to me.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 17, 2021 12:23 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

Good friends of mine get their second shot next Monday. They have been very careful and cautious not seeing even children and grand children. They've done all the holiday gatherings alone and on zoom. 

They are also big international travelers and not homebodies at all. So they are looking at some kind of cruise to take this spring, but he told me the cruise ships aren't ready with their plans/rules/regulations. My friends are very ready!  They will do all the masking and protocols as before since even though they will be protected via the vaccine you still want to try and not spread anything to others  

My wife's window for her first shot is around the corner. She too has been very cautious with her actions this past 11 months. So she is itching to go somewhere, anywhere. If plans follow through I will be in a airplane for my third solo trip this past year. I'm going to double mask on the plane and keep being as safe as one can be while traveling. I won't be in line for a vaccine shot for quite a while yet. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 17, 2021 12:40 pm
Rusty
(@rusty)
Peach Extraordianire

Down here where I live (Georgia's "Golden Isles"), I'm still trying to figure out what businesses ever closed to begin with.  There was a two-week period last March where pretty much everything did shut down.  Then, Governor Simp started protesting and rallying his troops - waiving off public safety and common sense.  For a while, restaurants offered take-out only. In no time at all, dine-in was open again.  The tables were spaced at 6' intervals, but when I go back into any of the several that I support (for take-out)- it looks like business as usual a year ago. 

Same with doctor's offices.  Took my auntie in to see her cardiologist last Friday.  Chairs in the waiting area were, indeed 6' apart.  But the lobby was crammed with people standing.  Auntie and I both go in for Pfizer #2 this Saturday.  I expect to feel a certain level of relief but I'm still going to wear the mask and dodge people in general.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 17, 2021 1:04 pm
cyclone88 liked
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

My wife's parents got their 2nd shot last week. We've been careful so we can visit with them and only them, which I'm thankful for.

My parents are in WI and just got their 1st shot. I haven't seen them in about a year and a half, by far the longest I've ever gone without seeing them. I'm eager to go see them, but don't think I will be traveling that far (be it by car or plane) until the Summer out of caution. Hopefully the new strains won't derail the recovery, we just don't know for sure how things will look in a few months. But I'm hopeful.

I spoke to my aunt the other night, who lives in rural eastern WA and they got their first shots because some first responders in group 1A refused to get vaxxed.

www.porkchopbob.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 17, 2021 1:25 pm
MartinD28
(@martind28)
World Class Peach
Posted by: @cyclone88

@chain

Yes, that's the information I received, too, both orally & in writing. [The staff at the center couldn't have been nicer.] A lot of people seem to treat that info like the folders that come w/prescription drugs - tossable.

I don't say anything when others are recounting their proposed travel plans, but I'm thinking isn't that country still closed to Americans? Does your 52-year-old friend really want a visit from you from NYC? Are you planning to leave your 61-year-old spouse at home? 

I was invited to an indoor maskless non-social distanced passover seder (also Easter weekend 6 weeks from now) that would include vaccinated & non-vaccinated people plus college students & even THAT seems reckless to me.

I guess you chose safety over the afikoman, 

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 17, 2021 5:35 pm
cyclone88 liked
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
World Class Peach

Just got dose 1 of the Moderna vaccine today.  I will continue to mask up and avoid crowds.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 17, 2021 7:57 pm
Randall liked
Rusty
(@rusty)
Peach Extraordianire

Just in the door from Pfizer#2.  Gonna sit quietly for an hour or so - make sure I don't grow a tail or start speaking Russian or anything too far out of the ordinary.  Early psychological side effects:  I already feel like I could outrun a train or leap over a tall building.  My fears and phobias have been allayed.  I will continue to wear the mask in solidarity with all others.  

To iterate - absolutely no politics in my decisions to vax and mask.  I urge all others to do the same.  I know three individuals who lost the War on Covid.  This stuff is real.  Let's whip it!  Let's whip it good!

Peace

R

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 20, 2021 9:47 am
cyclone88 and Randall liked
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Peach Extraordianire

Glad to see you all are getting your shots.

I am in phase 2 but can't get an appointment here in Mass as everywhere is booked including Gillete Stadium.

Will have to keep trying everyday.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 20, 2021 1:52 pm
MartinD28
(@martind28)
World Class Peach
Posted by: @rusty

Just in the door from Pfizer#2.  Gonna sit quietly for an hour or so - make sure I don't grow a tail or start speaking Russian or anything too far out of the ordinary.  Early psychological side effects:  I already feel like I could outrun a train or leap over a tall building.  My fears and phobias have been allayed.  I will continue to wear the mask in solidarity with all others.  

To iterate - absolutely no politics in my decisions to vax and mask.  I urge all others to do the same.  I know three individuals who lost the War on Covid.  This stuff is real.  Let's whip it!  Let's whip it good!

Peace

R

Glad you got second shot! You are right that it's real. Curious - are you having visions of Lois Lane? 

I'm scheduled for 2nd Moderna next Tuesday.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 20, 2021 2:28 pm
Rusty liked
Rusty
(@rusty)
Peach Extraordianire

@martind28  X-ray visions of Lois Lane!  😉 

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 20, 2021 4:01 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
A Peach Supreme

Blackey has received both Pfizer shots. We are suppose to be 96% protected now but it's not what one would think. It means we most likely will have no symptoms or hospitalization from Covid but could shed it for 14 days if we picked it up so could give it to another and they could get very sick. 

So we were told to continue with masks, social distancing and frequent hand washing and the herd immunity will not be reached this year nor will masks. 

Yet TODAY!!! FEBRUARY 22nd, 2021 I've encountered THREE idiots smiling and not social distancing AND NO MASKS!! Two at the grocery store and one at a convenience store. Getting a Coca-Cola Zero out of the cooler and suddenly I realise someone is just to my left, close enough to bump shoulders so I look to my left and getting a six pack of Papst Blue Ribbon out of that part of the cooler is an arrogant man about 35 to 40 WITHOUT a Mask!!!!!!!! 

It's time for these people to go to jail. We just past 500,000 deaths in America. 

If I were a younger man I'd be tempted to get a broom handle and crack it over that man's head. 

The smiling and grinning is what does it for me. Obviously they know they are violating mask and social distancing protocol and they enjoy it. But why? A personal freedom thing? That is BS. The grocery store can keep you out for a variety of things. I found out last week. Drunk, no shoes, no shirt, having a dog with you, having a shirt on that says F you etc etc. 

It's time for these maskless fools to go to jail!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 22, 2021 5:55 pm
Rusty
(@rusty)
Peach Extraordianire

A person's choice to not take the vaccine or wear a mask should not include the right to be an asymptomatic carrier and pose a risk to the public in general.  I can see a case for "carding" those who refuse to wear a mask in public - ask to see their vaccination card.  This, for at least the next year or so.  I just saw on the evening news that 200,000 of the 500,000 Covid deaths have happened since this past December.  If you ain't part of the solution - you're part of the problem.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 22, 2021 6:28 pm
cyclone88 liked
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Peach Extraordianire

@robertdee

Glad you're set w/vaccination. I was told after mine to keep practicing all the protocols & I do.

I don't know where various states stand, but at the community center where I was vaccinated, they suggested that I take a photo of my vaccination record of 2 doses w/my phone. It may not be an official "Covid passport" but it's a record in case I need it.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 22, 2021 7:40 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
A Peach Supreme

@cyclone88 Thank you. I took a picture with me phone of my vaccination card after the first shot but now it has the second entry on it for the second shot. I need to take an updated picture of that card. 

I'm afraid many of these arrogant fools out there with no mask and not practicing social distancing are also people not likely to get the vaccination.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 22, 2021 7:56 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

A year and we are still this upset about people not wearing masks?  I just accept it for what it is, not everyone it going to do the "right thing", not everyone is going to do what 'you' or 'me' or 'they' want them to.  I wear a mask in public.  I'm about to wear two on an airplane.  If somebody doesn't wear a mask...I can't make them and if they don't want to, what are you going to do?  Life can be risky, we all engage in risk.

My wife has been trying to get a vaccine appointment for a couple weeks now.  She is not currently in the eligible age group, just outside of it, but she does have a compromised immune system...some of her doctors have said she should be eligible now due to her health condition...then she tries to register both by automated and by human interaction and keeps getting denied because of her age.  She describes her reasoning with the auto-immune disease she has and keeps being told, sorry that particular condition does not allow her to proceed.

So, she's not a complainer.  She has wanted this vaccine from day 1, no trials, no tests, she wants it doesn't care.  She is the type that if somebody tells her it will help her, she takes it no questions asked.  Cancer survivor, never batted an eye.

Anyway, so she is just like 'I'll wait it won't be much longer'.  But what keeps annoying her now is that friends and family keep calling telling here 'hey call this number' 'hey go to this website'...after about a dozen strike-outs she's just 'I'll wait'.

Until today, her niece sends a picture of a post-it note with a phone number on it with a message for her to call the number.  Ends up being a friend of a friend of the niece who works at a clinic who had some extra vaccine they were trying to schedule appointments for.  My wife calls and was told to be there by 4 today (little over an hour notice).  She went alright.  Pfizer does #1.  She goes back in 3 weeks for #2.  Has to stay off existing medicine for 2 weeks now.  So that is good for her.  She was so excited.

My friends I mentioned who are the big international travelers that have been literal hermits the past year...their second shot got delayed due to weather, but are in the planning stages of a trip to Florida after #2.  Good for them.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 22, 2021 8:16 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
World Class Peach

Unsure if this is on topic, but as far as the vaccination goes, mayb patience is a virtue - mayb a case of good things come to those who wait - after all they’re in the process of eliminating one of the two shots you need, I’ve read

now, a WSJ story says that the needle & syringe could too be eliminated in the administering of the vaccine - after all, it says that “we’re using 19th century technology to shoot 21st century science into the arms of billions” - and, “the race is on to find alternatives” & they mention recent ones

so, imo, like any new hi-tech, it improves w/time - like most folks I hate needles - I can wait, am always considerate, wear mask everywhere, etc & so forth.....

why not wait until the vaccine has been tweaked/fine-tuned, & mayb by then, whenever that might be, years possibly....

....it will have been solved enough to have eliminated altogether, the need to be vaccinated - but at the very least, the need for needles

🙂I Don’t Know/Am Just Sayin✌️🤙

✌️stay well/be safe

This post was modified 2 months ago by Stephen
ReplyQuote
Posted : March 3, 2021 11:53 am
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

People complained about getting a test 9 months ago. Just a few months later most states got their systems in place and testing has been running pretty smoothly.

Same thing will happen with the vax. Everyone just needs to be patient.

Regarding masks, I'm still not sure why some people are too proud to wear one. It's just petulant. A good friend of mine recently moved to Taiwan. COVID numbers there have been low and everyone wears a mask. States rolling back something so simple yet effective is counterproductive to actually safely re-opening.

www.porkchopbob.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 3, 2021 12:07 pm
cyclone88 liked
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Peach Extraordianire

@stephen

Yes, patience, but not necessarily in the way you described.

The public health leadership consensus seems to be the faster everyone is vaccinated, the faster we'll return to some sense of pre-Covid normal. I'd guess most of us who were were vaccinated did so because it was the only weapon even if it wasn't the most 100% sure-fire way to prevent Covid. No guarantee. Something was better than nothing.

Advances are being made every day while 300 million of us are in the process of getting what's available at the time we're eligible.

Right now, certain segments of the population are eligible & others aren't. This imbalance is in part what's keeping us from re-integrating as a society. Patience is required from the early vaccinated for the later ones.

Patience is also required as states determine their re-openings. New York has said vaccinations are no substitute for a negative test at entry, quarantine, & negative test before being allowed into the public. Where we can travel is dictated by the states.

Patience is required for international determinations re re-opening. Sure, Croatia & Mexico are letting us in, but a negative test is required before boarding a US-bound flight to return. More countries may open up by the summer travel season w/requirements even for those vaccinated. 

Bottom line, there's nowhere I want to go if 10 days in quarantine & a negative test is required before being let out of my airport hotel. Part of it is a waste of my vacation time - 1/2 of 4 weeks spent in a hotel room - and the other is financial - I don't want to spend vacation funds on a hotel for quarantine purposes. So, I'm going to have to be patient before I can go anywhere I actually want to go (no offense to Mexico & Croatia).

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 3, 2021 3:14 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Peach Extraordianire

I was finally able to schedule my first shot here in Mass after weeks of frustration of not being able to find an opening anywhere.

A friend sent me this website link that searches for openings in the state which finally helped me score my appointment

https://www.macovidvaccines.com/

Not sure if there are similar websites in other states but even in this case it still took weeks to find an opening and even then I need to drive an hour to get the shot which is scheduled this Saturday.

I wish everyone luck and patience in their quest for vaccinations.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 3, 2021 3:31 pm
cyclone88 liked
bob1954
(@bob1954)
Peach Extraordianire

Got my 2nd Moderna shot today. I feel invincible! But since I don't like many people and most don't like me I think I'll adopt social distancing as a permanent way of life. I always wear my mask because I look better with it on. I just wish it didn't cause my glasses to fog.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 3, 2021 4:04 pm
Rusty
(@rusty)
Peach Extraordianire
Posted by: @bob1954

Got my 2nd Moderna shot today. I feel invincible! But since I don't like many people and most don't like me I think I'll adopt social distancing as a permanent way of life. I always wear my mask because I look better with it on. I just wish it didn't cause my glasses to fog.

I was told that if your glasses fog - your mask is leaking - allowing air (and germs) to come in or go out.  The clear sign that your mask is working effectively is when you cannot breathe at all.  The best, most air-tight/non-leaking alternative is a plastic bag pulled over your head and duct-taped to the base of your neck and shoulders.  You will not live for very long with this model but you are guaranteed to not get Covid.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 3, 2021 4:11 pm
Stephen liked
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
World Class Peach

Pull the mask up higher on your nose, and put the glasses across the fabric.   Seems to work for me.... 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 3, 2021 5:19 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

Regarding the thoughts in this thread, good for those who have gotten their shot(s). And I would keep doing the cautious things as has been mentioned. 

I'm so sick of this. I was supposed to have been vaccinated a month or two ago, as my colleagues also should have gotten their shots as we are first providers.  I don't think anyone has theirs. I would have thought our company would have been more insistent that we have access to it but they've done absolutely nothing. 

Getting one through The City of Chicago or Cook County is pointless. I just found out I was basically demoted from priority group 1b to 1c, whatever that is. I did receive a message that I might be able to get one in Des Plaines which is not in the city and I couldn't get to it if I wanted to. 

I hate to say this but I have almost thrown up my hands with it. I've been dealing with over 200 construction contractors, taking their temperatures for several months and haven't gotten it. I do have access to a special machine, masks, sanitizer, surgical gloves (which admittedly I rarely wear).

I have a friend and we coincidently have the same doctor. According to my friend he claims they have the vaccine. I spoke with a doctor there the other day and he told me they haven't received anything. Hmm... 😕 

Walmart doesn't have any doses within 25 miles of Chicago. One of the biggest cities in the country and there's none here?

Regarding the glasses fogging thing, I like Rusty's suggestion. 😛 Not sure about Sang's but if it works for him, that's good. If someone wears glasses I can always tell who wears a mask getting from their vehicle, bus, train to the building as their glasses are indeed fogged up. Part of that could be because of the cold weather too though. Your glasses will usually defog once you get into a warmer temperature.  

There are defogging sprays out there that work. My wife got one from one of her engineers and it works. You spray it on the lenses and they don't fog up for like 8 hours or so. You can find them online at affordable prices.

This post was modified 2 months ago by Lee

You got to go to hell before you get to Heaven.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 4, 2021 6:56 am
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Peach Extraordianire

@lee

It's been a mess of a system - oversupply, undersupply, & then TX lost some in the disaster. Normally, I'd say (as a person w/no medical expertise) don't expect it to be nearby. I know people in NYC in my neighborhood who went around the corner & others who had to go to Staten Island as well as people in other states having to drive 3-4 hours from the state capital where they live. Seems like Chicago ought to at least have something organized after all this time.

Maybe by the time you get yours, it'll be just one dose. Good luck.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 4, 2021 9:33 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

@cyclone88

I will give the powers that be kind of a pass as this supposedly is unexpected even though scientists had been working on something like this for a long time. Who knows?

Regarding the whole Texas situation I can probably shed a bit of light on that. I'll try not to bore you to death but I worked for an energy provider and Texas was our biggest territory. There are multiple companies capable of providing electricity there but their grid can only accept so much. So what would happen is that we would get shut down. As in, you can't give us any more even though we (and I imagine the other companies) could provide it. We were curtailed. 

If you've seen the news, ERCOT is basically the whole problem behind this. This was a horrible issue when I dealt with it 15 years ago and who knows how much longer prior to that. 

We knew about this potentially happening that long ago (not to this extent) and we bought hedges on this. Insurance companies and a couple of major banks took the other side. Sadly we made out like bandits.

Texas was the only state I had to hedge. 😕 I guess someone knew something. I didn't.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 4, 2021 10:55 am
cyclone88 liked
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
World Class Peach

The local "distribution" efforts here are pathetic. The health district can't seem to figure out how to operate a larger scale vaccination event for eligible recipients. A fifth grader could figure it out in five minutes. Meanwhile, the health district covering a different city 20 miles away have had any number of them. Had planned on having it administered by my local physician's office. When I registered 6-7 weeks ago their estimate was, since I've been age eligible, was "maybe two weeks." Had an opportunity to sign up at a grocery store 150 miles away. Called my doctor's office for an update. "You should try every avenue you can, it's likely to be the end of April to early May before we can." They haven't gotten through patients in their 80's yet!

So, two different times I'll be making a 300 mile round trip to get vaccinated. And, I'm damn happy to do it.

I'll also add I've had absolutely zero problem with first responders, medical staff, teachers etc. having availability first. That's the way it should be.

Still, the local "efforts" here are laughable.

"Rule #1, no drinkin' during the gospel songs. Rule #2, no gospel songs." Billy Gibbons

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 4, 2021 11:25 am
cyclone88 liked
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

Like I said, I'll just hope that people didn't know what to do. Not sure if that is justifiable or not but? Dealing with potentially deadly people every day is kind of scary. Lord knows what hospital or cops have to deal with. Haven't had to deal with that. I never called either one although I could have a couple of of times. 

A round trip like you mentioned isn't always practical for people who live in the city here. Haven't owned a car in probably 20 years and most of the people I know don't own one. We don't need it. Can't drive 300 miles.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 4, 2021 4:23 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

So I just saw this thing and if you are over 65 years old you can apparently go to The United Center (home of the Bulls and Black Hawks) and get a shot Tuesday. Not close to that age. And if you are African American you can get a shot regardless of age in certain neighborhoods. Hmm....

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 4, 2021 4:32 pm
Page 1 / 7
Share: