Roger Waters says......

7 Posts
6 Users
1 Likes
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

He begins his current concerts with a typescript message displayed to the audience:

"If you’re one of those 'I love Pink Floyd but I can’t stand Roger’s politics' people, you might do well to fuck off to the bar right now."

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/roger-waters-joe-biden-war-criminal/

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : August 10, 2022 7:47 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

he's a twat.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : August 10, 2022 8:51 am
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member

Roger says a lot of things.

I attended the Pittsburgh show, the opening night of the tour (the postponed tour from 2 years ago).

Most of the messages didn't bother me, a little far at times, but somewhat expected.  It felt as much of a political message rally as it did a music concert at times.  What did bother me was Roger lip syncing some songs, I come to learn that he has been known to do this for years live.  Speculation that other songs he sings over a vocal track, guess they can do a lot of things now with mixing prerecorded with live vocals - I'm not familiar with how that stuff works. 

But anyway...David Gilmour is a much better PF member to see live I think - but Roger is his own person and a legendary historical artist.  His personal views are what they are.

Posted : August 10, 2022 10:06 am
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
Illustrious Member

I saw the show in Chicago - as usual with Roger, a phenomenal sound system and a spectacle. His previous show (Us & Them) was pretty cool also, with the power station from Animals appearing over the crowd.

It was a weird experience - when you are sitting at home listening to an album, you get lost in the song and don't always think about the meaning of the song.  At Roger's concerts, the meaning of the song is in your face, front and center.  After some of the songs, I was like 'should I be clapping and cheering for a song about that?'  Felt very strange about it - but I also think that sometimes art or artistic expression is supposed to elicit some of those reactions.

I also had the tickets for 2 years - they were still physical tickets.  If you look on youtube people posted the entire concert online - the Minnesota version is pretty good.

And yes, I knew of Roger's politics and history behind some of the songs - still an amazing show - just not used to having to think about things so much at a show ... 

Posted : August 18, 2022 12:55 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Saw him in Boston at the TD Garden, about a month ago sitting in the nose bleeds. Amazing visual show and Roger can still bring it vocally at his advanced age. Can't imagine what the production costs must have been for that elaborate in the round stage.

You have to know his concerts have a heavy political agenda and if you don't agree with his views, and that will bother you, then you may not want to attend his concerts.

It is a real shame Roger and Dave can't get along for one final Pink Floyd tour as those shows would be epic.

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by Bill_Graham

Posted : August 18, 2022 1:59 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

I find this interesting and I have a few thoughts. I saw Waters probably about 25 years ago and he played The Wall. There were no grand theatrics and nothing political about it at all. Or so I thought I guess. He just put on a great show. Which I paid all of $20 for by the way. 😀 

I bought two 45s from The Wall as a kid when it came out. I had no idea that it had some deeper meaning other than I liked the songs. I wish I had bought the actual album but we bought a lot of 45s when I was a kid because they cost like 99 cents or something. Still have those records to this day.

Regarding the political and perhaps controversial tilt to him, I didn't know he was so outspoken. But as Sang said, I can understand the experience being a lot different if you knew the meaning of the songs. When I saw him I didn't realize the actual meanings of the songs which would totally changed my perception of them. 

I do not like musicians (or any celebrity for that matter) espousing their views on social and political issues. Perhaps it is good banter but when I go to a show, concert, performance, game, whatever, that is what I am paying for. Not a diatribe. If someone pointed out (from that article posted):

"Waters, who has also previously criticized former President Donald Trump, begins his current concerts with a typescript message displayed to the audience: "If you’re one of those 'I love Pink Floyd but I can’t stand Roger’s politics' people, you might do well to f*ck off to the bar right now", that is exactly what I would do. 

As I have posted in other threads about Steve Earle, he does this ALL THE TIME at his concerts. I love his music, his lyrics, his deep thoughts. I just don't care for political rants through an entire concert.

This post was modified 2 years ago by Lee

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : August 20, 2022 6:26 am
owencarol reacted
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

PS: I don't care about the guy that used to live in The White House. Not trying to turn this into a political thing, it was just in the quote.

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : August 20, 2022 6:31 am
Share: