RIP Sidney Poitier

13 Posts
5 Users
2 Likes
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Great actor - one of my favorites, as he might be for many people - A Patch of Blue, with Shelley Winters as a racist type - To Sir With Love - Lillies in the Field

his most memorable one to me was Guess Who's Coming To Dinner - a masterpiece of a film imo -

from The Asphalt Jungle to Shoot To Kill, w/Tom Berenger - a brilliant artist - RIP sir

Posted : January 7, 2022 12:15 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Great underrated actor. My favorite for me is "In The Heat of the Night"

Posted : January 7, 2022 12:58 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

That's sad. Great actor.

If you've never seen a movie called "Sneakers", watch it. The cast is amazing. I kind of thought it was loosely based on Watergate but I guess not. It is difficult to follow at times but a great movie. A real spellbinder until the end. Even James Earl Jones is in it at the end.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sneakers_(1992_film)

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : January 7, 2022 5:37 pm
Sang reacted
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member
Topic starter

RIP James Caan - The Program is a great flick about the dungeon that is NCAA football - it's a good movie, he's great as the coach

Did anyone ever see Rollerball? Not the weak remake either but the 1975 original with Caan - brutal

Who doesn't shed a tear every time they see Brian's Song. Both James Caan & Billy Dee Williams are brilliant

RIP sir

RIP Larry Storch, the goofball character on F Troop - at the age of 99

Posted : July 8, 2022 5:04 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@stephen Yes I liked James Caan. First noticed him in The Godfather in 1972. I still remember seeing it at a neighborhood theatre and about 1983, 11 years later, Gregg Allman and the Toilet Brothers played on the stage of the same theatre. 

Read awhile ago L. Q. Jones died yesterday at age 94. L. Q. worked a lot plus was in several Sam Peckinpah films. 

L. Q. is on the roof of this one!!! 

Posted : July 10, 2022 6:57 pm
CrossEyedCat
(@crosseyedcat)
Estimable Member

@robertdee

Shame about LQ Jones. Strangely about 10 days ago I watched Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid for the first time in years. I forgot just how poetic that film is in parts, not just the Slim Pickens death scene to Dylan's Knockin’ of Heaven's Door but there are plenty of other scenes which are truly memorable and show a true master at work. LQ must have had quite a character to put up with Peckinpah’s anger and angst to have worked with him so many times on films and TV shows. He also appeared in a couple of Elvis movies.

Who were/are "The Toilet Brothers"?

Posted : July 13, 2022 10:54 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@crosseyedcat The Toilet Brothers backed up Gregg back then! Tidy Toilet on bass, Big Flush Toilet on Guitar, Unisex Toilet on male and female backing vocals, Top Tank Toilet on drums!  

That is my SPELL CHECKER!! I have to proof read everything as it changes my words. Wants me to look like an idiot!! It changed TOLER brothers to Toilet and I didn't catch it before I posted. 

Am I the only one who has to put up with that on a smart phone?? I can't find a way to disable it either. Smile Without shooting the phone. 

Posted : July 13, 2022 11:54 am
CrossEyedCat reacted
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member
Topic starter

RIP Paul Sorvino, Great Actor - one of my favorite flicks is Dummy, where he plays a deaf lawyer. GREAT movie - RIP sir

Posted : July 25, 2022 4:25 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Clu Culagar dead at 93. Always liked his look and voice. He began doing TV episodes of many TV shows including westerns in 1955 but wasn't in a movie until 1964. Clu Culagar and Lee Marvin played vicious hit men in a film that starred President Reagan and Angie Dickinson. Here are the highlights. Clu is first seen with Lee Marvin wearing sunglasses. 

More on Clu. 

This post was modified 2 years ago by robertdee

Posted : August 8, 2022 1:58 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member
Topic starter

No surprise he lived to 102 years old - those cartoons in MAD Magazine - “The Lighter Side Of Things” etc - they caused laughter over the course of Many generations

RIP, Al Jaffee

Posted : April 11, 2023 8:54 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Apologies, just looking to update thread title, didn’t work just now, 1 more time

not happening, me & computers….🫣

This post was modified 1 year ago by Stephen

Posted : April 11, 2023 8:57 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member
Topic starter

RIP, Superstar Billy Graham
One of the all timers - the poor guy had tough maladies - acute kidney failure, congestive heart disease, ear trouble that spread - they took him off life support

Billy came mostly after when I was a big wrestling fan as a kid, 11-13 yo, that age - lifted the title from Bruno in 1977

The world of pro rasslin’ is dimmer today - RIP sir

-

am hoping the thread title will change from Sidney Poitier to SBG 

This post was modified 11 months ago by Stephen

Posted : May 18, 2023 7:17 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member
Topic starter

The Iron Shiek, a wrestling warrior from Saudi Arabia - gone to the great ring in the sky - one of the greats - way after when I was a fan

who could ever forget his predecesor - the feared scary villain w/every foreign object in the book, & worse

yep, the first one

The Shiek

who preceded the Iron Shiek’s era

would love to see those old vids, esp the post-match interviews w/The Shiek’s manager Abdullah Farouk….

the Iron Shiek debuted in 1979 (article)

watta match - divine intervention itself would be powerless to stop it - Superstar Billy-the Iron Shiek, immortals-only

RIP, Iron Shiek

This post was modified 11 months ago by Stephen

Posted : June 9, 2023 8:36 am
Share: