The Allman Brothers Band
Notifications
Clear all

Oldest computer you still use

nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

I tend to keep things when they still work.  So while I am own a newer laptop on Windows 10, I also still use all my old computers for various things.

I run a desktop on Vista that I use to download music from torrent sites.  It's been a good unit, must be over 20 years old at this point.

Anyone still using old computers around the house?

Topic starter Posted : January 14, 2022 1:01 am
goldtop
(@goldtop)
Ultimate Peach

I'm running Windows 7 on both my desktop and laptop...I just use them to browse the web and listen to music. I retired last year so I really have no business purposes for either and feel no need to upgrade until I'm forced to kicking and screaming...LOL

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 14, 2022 1:01 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

I really like Windows 7.  10 isn't that much different, just updated.  It's different enough that I have to sometimes think how I want to do stuff but it's still easy to figure out.  I never had 8.  8 was universally hated, glad I skipped it.

Every now and then I fire up the old lap top running XP which is about as old as my Vista desktop from the early 2000s.  I used that XP laptop as a dedicated EAC CD ripping machine for a while.

If stuff works, I really don't get rid of much.  My wife hates that...a lot! 

I'm not really like into old computers, I see some people online like to get old machines running from the 80s and mess around with them.  I just try and use them for what I want to use them for. 

I've been helping my Aunt and occasionally my Mom with their computer issues (late 70s/early 80s).  Man, I really don't want to ever let technology fully pass me by after I see the struggles they sometimes have using stuff.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 14, 2022 11:13 pm
IF
 IF
(@if)
Peach Master

My desktop is a Gateway 700XL running windows XP purchased in 2002, primarily used for email, bookkeeping and music software programs. It doesn’t have the minimum requirements for the latest versions of Firefox, Goggle or YouTube. My laptop is a Dell, running Windows 10 Pro Edition, 64 Bit. I use this machine primarily for Gmail & surfing the internet.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 15, 2022 11:42 am
nebish liked
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

@IF that desktop looks like a great machine back in the day.  Glad it is still in service for you.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 15, 2022 5:57 pm
IF
 IF
(@if)
Peach Master
Posted by: @nebish

@IF that desktop looks like a great machine back in the day.  Glad it is still in service for you.

Yeah it was a great machine for the time. It was one of the first desktop computers with a Pentium 4 processor and came with one of the first LED flat panel monitors I’d personally had ever seen. I believe the build accounts for its longevity. Though expensive, I think I got my monies worth some 20 years later, ha ha. The monitor gave out in 2016 and was replaced with a 24”.0 Dell UltraSharp monitor.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 15, 2022 7:15 pm
nebish liked
goldtop
(@goldtop)
Ultimate Peach
Posted by: @nebish

I really like Windows 7.  10 isn't that much different, just updated.  It's different enough that I have to sometimes think how I want to do stuff but it's still easy to figure out.  I never had 8.  8 was universally hated, glad I skipped it.

Every now and then I fire up the old lap top running XP which is about as old as my Vista desktop from the early 2000s.  I used that XP laptop as a dedicated EAC CD ripping machine for a while.

If stuff works, I really don't get rid of much.  My wife hates that...a lot! 

I'm not really like into old computers, I see some people online like to get old machines running from the 80s and mess around with them.  I just try and use them for what I want to use them for. 

I've been helping my Aunt and occasionally my Mom with their computer issues (late 70s/early 80s).  Man, I really don't want to ever let technology fully pass me by after I see the struggles they sometimes have using stuff.

I was in IT ended up as a software engineer before I left in 2004...Fell into it out of high school and it help paid my band bills through the years...LOL

I'll upgrade when they die and just deal with getting back up to speed then. For my uses a new computer would only serve the same purpose...If I was still recording and gigging I'd probably want to keep up on things a bit more. But here and youtube is what I pretty much use my computers for. Or to buy stuff online...

A new computer would be like buying a daily driver car...It would be fun but not really needed right now

This post was modified 24 hours ago by goldtop
ReplyQuote
Posted : January 17, 2022 8:25 pm
Share: