Oldest computer you still use

13 Posts
6 Users
4 Likes
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I tend to keep things when they still work.  So while I am own a newer laptop on Windows 10, I also still use all my old computers for various things.

I run a desktop on Vista that I use to download music from torrent sites.  It's been a good unit, must be over 20 years old at this point.

Anyone still using old computers around the house?

Posted : January 14, 2022 2:01 am
goldtop
(@goldtop)
Noble Member

I'm running Windows 7 on both my desktop and laptop...I just use them to browse the web and listen to music. I retired last year so I really have no business purposes for either and feel no need to upgrade until I'm forced to kicking and screaming...LOL

Posted : January 14, 2022 2:01 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I really like Windows 7.  10 isn't that much different, just updated.  It's different enough that I have to sometimes think how I want to do stuff but it's still easy to figure out.  I never had 8.  8 was universally hated, glad I skipped it.

Every now and then I fire up the old lap top running XP which is about as old as my Vista desktop from the early 2000s.  I used that XP laptop as a dedicated EAC CD ripping machine for a while.

If stuff works, I really don't get rid of much.  My wife hates that...a lot! 

I'm not really like into old computers, I see some people online like to get old machines running from the 80s and mess around with them.  I just try and use them for what I want to use them for. 

I've been helping my Aunt and occasionally my Mom with their computer issues (late 70s/early 80s).  Man, I really don't want to ever let technology fully pass me by after I see the struggles they sometimes have using stuff.

Posted : January 15, 2022 12:13 am
IF
 IF
(@if)
Reputable Member

My desktop is a Gateway 700XL running windows XP purchased in 2002, primarily used for email, bookkeeping and music software programs. It doesn’t have the minimum requirements for the latest versions of Firefox, Goggle or YouTube. My laptop is a Dell, running Windows 10 Pro Edition, 64 Bit. I use this machine primarily for Gmail & surfing the internet.

Posted : January 15, 2022 12:42 pm
nebish reacted
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@IF that desktop looks like a great machine back in the day.  Glad it is still in service for you.

Posted : January 15, 2022 6:57 pm
IF
 IF
(@if)
Reputable Member

Posted by: @nebish

@IF that desktop looks like a great machine back in the day.  Glad it is still in service for you.

Yeah it was a great machine for the time. It was one of the first desktop computers with a Pentium 4 processor and came with one of the first LED flat panel monitors I’d personally had ever seen. I believe the build accounts for its longevity. Though expensive, I think I got my monies worth some 20 years later, ha ha. The monitor gave out in 2016 and was replaced with a 24”.0 Dell UltraSharp monitor.

Posted : January 15, 2022 8:15 pm
nebish reacted
goldtop
(@goldtop)
Noble Member

Posted by: @nebish

I really like Windows 7.  10 isn't that much different, just updated.  It's different enough that I have to sometimes think how I want to do stuff but it's still easy to figure out.  I never had 8.  8 was universally hated, glad I skipped it.

Every now and then I fire up the old lap top running XP which is about as old as my Vista desktop from the early 2000s.  I used that XP laptop as a dedicated EAC CD ripping machine for a while.

If stuff works, I really don't get rid of much.  My wife hates that...a lot! 

I'm not really like into old computers, I see some people online like to get old machines running from the 80s and mess around with them.  I just try and use them for what I want to use them for. 

I've been helping my Aunt and occasionally my Mom with their computer issues (late 70s/early 80s).  Man, I really don't want to ever let technology fully pass me by after I see the struggles they sometimes have using stuff.

I was in IT ended up as a software engineer before I left in 2004...Fell into it out of high school and it help paid my band bills through the years...LOL

I'll upgrade when they die and just deal with getting back up to speed then. For my uses a new computer would only serve the same purpose...If I was still recording and gigging I'd probably want to keep up on things a bit more. But here and youtube is what I pretty much use my computers for. Or to buy stuff online...

A new computer would be like buying a daily driver car...It would be fun but not really needed right now

This post was modified 2 years ago by goldtop

Posted : January 17, 2022 9:25 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member

I have got something like this in my basement

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : January 19, 2022 8:50 am
Billastro
(@billastro)
Prominent Member

My mind. Almost 73 years old and still at it.

It still does things no computer can match. I hear a last name and instantly I recall someone from 60+ years ago. A whiff of fragrance takes me back to my childhood with essentially no processing time. A snippet of a song from the '50s and I can sing along immediately. And so on.

Nearly everyone's mind has incredible capabilities that I don't think we'll ever comprehend. AI? Forget it!

Billastro

Posted : February 4, 2022 6:29 pm
jszfunk reacted
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

It's nice though, when you need more memory on the computer you just plug some in.  The memory in my brain is getting pretty full and it's harder to recall the stuff I stored in file folders many years ago.

Posted : February 5, 2022 12:27 am
Jerry
(@jerry)
Noble Member

I wish I still had my old PCDos computer.  No hard drive, 8K memory, monochrome monitor, no internet, sound only came through the built in speaker.

The oldest one I still use has DOS 6.22 on it, a CGA (crappy graphics adaptor 256 colors).  The printers and monitors still work on it.  Still no internet, but it is a 286.

Posted : March 2, 2022 6:42 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@Jerry

I knew you would post in this thread eventually.  What do you do on that old PC?

Posted : March 3, 2022 10:15 am
Jerry
(@jerry)
Noble Member

@nebish 

Donated it to some kids that wanted to learn how to use computers.

When we moved to Byron, I forgot to take down the old 286 and 386 computers in the attic.  so, I've only got the old Quickchip one available. 

When the Pentium cpu came out all the old 486 ones went obsolete.  I found out that the Air Force had upgraded their computers in the F-16 from a 486DX to Pentium standards using the PNY Quickchip, a turbocharged chip running at 133 mhz.  So, I ordered one.  Set up an older 486, ran programs that called for a Pentium 90.  Showed the difference to a few folks, and ordered a couple.  They liked it, ordered more. 

Then the AF decided it would be cheaper long run to just go ahead and put in Pentium units and PNY was stuck with a boatload of chips.  I got the snailmail asking if I would order in bulk if they could halve the price.  Uh, yeah.  I ordered 50.  I have 1 left, still in the original package, never opened.

Folks thought it was a good bargain to convert their old 486 computers to Pentium strength for under $200.

20220309 173501[1]

The 286 I do have is an old Southern Bell one.  Still has the company logo and "racing stripes" on it.

This post was modified 2 years ago by Jerry

Posted : March 9, 2022 7:01 pm
nebish reacted
Share: