Prayers for New Orleans

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member
Topic starter

This is just a sick feeling - like waiting for a train or a bullet to strike.  The city hasn't fully recovered from the hurricanes of 10 - 15 years ago, yet here comes the mother of them all.  I am hoping and praying that the residents had the sense, wherewithal and the opportunity to vacate to higher ground.  Much of the city is actually below sea level.  This just ain't gonna be good.  This morning I am praying for all in harms way.  I'm also getting my checkbook out to send whatever I can afford to legitimate assistance agencies.  It's a sick and sad feeling.

Posted : August 29, 2021 8:29 am
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member

Agree Rusty. Hurricanes offer notice, of warning in advance to leave and prepare. But it also creates a feeling of impending doom, the swirling on the map and projecting the track with the colors representing dangerous and deadly wind and rain is indeed a sick feeling. May everyone come out safe on the other side. 

Posted : August 29, 2021 8:36 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Agreed both - if this one rivals Katrina in scope/power….an upsetting scenario

very best wishes to residents/rescuers

Posted : August 29, 2021 8:45 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Posted by: @nebish

Agree Rusty. Hurricanes offer notice, of warning in advance to leave and prepare. But it also creates a feeling of impending doom

That’s the thing w/this one, read that it formed unusually quickly, catching by surprise even forecasters/seasoned residents used to & aware of hurricanes

they’re getting hammered unfortunately, 740,000 w/out power - brunt of it to pass thru by tmrw, then damage assessment begins, a grim task - Biden will view it from helicopter as Bush did at Katrina etc & on…..

This post was modified 3 years ago by Stephen

Posted : August 29, 2021 10:12 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

New Orleans is one of my favorite cities, my heart always breaks when these massive storms slowly roll through. A secondary concern in regards to power outages are hospitals that were in the middle of a COVID surge. I'm sure they have generators, but that's still a lot for the region's responders and health industry to combat all at once.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : August 30, 2021 11:00 am
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member
Topic starter

@porkchopbob A Class 4 Hurricane on top of a Covid pandemic is certainly injury added to injury.  Without seeing the physical damage, it seems as though upgrades to levees and drainage systems provided protection that didn't exist during Katrina.  The media (especially the Weather Channel) show mostly video from the French Quarter area - which is the highest ground in the city.  I haven't seen anything from the residential areas - especially the Lower 9th Ward, which received the brunt of the last storm.  Hopefully, some form of very slight miracle will prevail.

Posted : August 30, 2021 11:17 am
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member

Looks pretty bad unfortunately.

A lot of people were posting on social media how they needed help and rescues, people going into attics to escape water.

Posted : August 30, 2021 11:23 pm
Share: