Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Any takers?

Courtesy of Bet On Line

Posted : February 9, 2024 3:49 pm
StratDal
(@stratdal)
Noble Member

Hi Nebish.  Just thinking about the 2024 election just makes me sigh heavily... at least I'm sipping my favorite and spinning some Ryan Bingham on a beautiful So Cal winter afternoon.  Keep the faith. 

Posted : February 14, 2024 9:02 pm
nebish reacted
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Thus far election odds favor a 2020 rematch - pretty much a reprisal of then, only this time Don is the challenger, Joe the cham, I mean incumbent

but the same dialog & rhetoric, accusation & invective, in store this season, esp at the conventions….

still say a Trump-Haley ticket is not a far-fetched scenario - but such a ticket would have to capture the imagination of voters at the grassroots level - the way Biden-Harris did in 2020

he might offer it to Pence first

🇺🇸

Posted : March 5, 2024 8:25 am
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I really really do not think that Nikki Halley will be Trump's VP pick.  VP picks are always kind of an interesting bit of strategy - and while there would be some reasons among the campaign team why she would help the ticket, the way this primary season has gone and the way Trump 2.0 is - he isn't picking her.  He may pick a woman, but it will be somebody closer to his mold, not a traditional Republican as he did with Pence.  A traditional Republican will help the ticket, but try and convince Trump 2.0 he needs help on his ticket to win

Posted : March 5, 2024 11:26 am
Stephen reacted
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Now that she’s dropped out, one wonders if Gov Haley would accept a VP offer - so that all her delegates would go to Trump, strengthening his candidacy>thereby maximizing chances of GOP success at the polls in November

i know what you mean nebish, Trump might want a less traditional Republican VP in favor of someone different

read/heard somewhere, this is the 2nd-ever presidential rematch - will be cool to learn the 1st one

This post was modified 2 months ago by Stephen

Posted : March 6, 2024 8:56 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

with ever-squinting eyes looking outward on the American horizon, Joe Biden has guided this country like the captain of a great ship

However, for a variety of reasons i41 do not support his re election - it’s not just his age altho that’s a factor

simply put he’s done his 4 years well & will be ready for retirement after the exhaustive campaign -

which this time, in my view, after all the recounts/‘suspicious balloting’/probable lawsuits etc will find him on the short end after a hard battle - it will be close, that’s why recounts & all their ugliness will be automatic

Am far from sold on Trump, but at least he returns rested up after 4 years away w/a refreshed perspective, broad support & a mandate to lead based on majority rule (election)

he would be just the 2nd president to be elected to separate terms, the 1st being Grover Cleveland

such an election would make a joke out of our legal system after his endless parade of courtroom appearances 

🇺🇸vox populi bro

This post was modified 2 months ago 2 times by Stephen

Posted : March 6, 2024 9:55 am
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

There was a time when I would not rule out voting for a Republican candidate.  I have on several occasions.

Mr. Trump has bent and twisted the GOP into something that is absolutely alien to me - and to many former Republican voters.  Please note that there are many GOP stalwarts ("W", Mitt Romney, for example) who WILL NOT lend their support to Donald Trump merely on the basis of representing their party (which he DOES NOT do).  I'm hoping that Niki Haley is steadfast in her reluctance to support Trump based solely on party affiliation.

On the other side - the Democrats have pretty much been digging their own hole for about 20 years now.  They have been unable to find anybody with anywhere near the charisma of either Barack Obama or even Bill Clinton.  At this point, a candidate (sitting prez, even) with a pulse will seem to suffice.  Yeah, there are other Democrat "candidates" on ballots - but you ain't gonna know their names until you walk into that voting booth.  Thanks, American press!  

I estimate/predict that Trump will be the next POTUS.  Do not accept this as either and endorsement or my personal wish.  

Two things that worry me the most - the existing imbalance of the Supreme Court will grow larger;  and that spoilt-rotten, temper tantrum prone Trump will wreck our Democracy (possibly nation?) with childish vengeance.   

God help us all.

This post was modified 2 months ago 2 times by Rusty

Posted : March 6, 2024 10:29 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

✌️🇺🇸but he had 4 years to do that already (wreck our democracy etc)

it didn’t work - we’re still here

dont think it will this time either

realize many say it did work - that the America we know & love was trashed beyond recognition in 2016-20

also bro that we’re mostly in agreement on this subject - guess I don’t get/agree w/the childish temper tantrum angle🇺🇸✌️

This post was modified 2 months ago 5 times by Stephen

Posted : March 6, 2024 8:36 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

What happened to the state of the union thread

Posted : March 10, 2024 4:56 am
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @stephen

What happened to the state of the union thread

Always weird when something like that happens. Was my post the last comment in it?

Posted : March 10, 2024 9:32 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Think it was mine - it was last year’s SOTU thread, I bumped it (it was right on the 2nd page of WP forum)

also happened w/another thread about Trump being installed this summer, also one about a college singing group’s banned appearance that turned into a trump thread….

also sports threads re Kyrie Irving etc - vaneesh - have periodically mentioned it friendly on my wall to R&L

This post was modified 2 months ago 4 times by Stephen

Posted : March 10, 2024 10:04 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Convicted, impeached, hung in effigy, run out of office

election fraud, classified documents scandal, rape convictions

….all this, & the top candidate to boot - Al Capone would be envious

still to come, Stormy & the Insurrection, also others

wanted to bring it back to topic

as it said in another deleted thread, who would’ve thought that elderly out-of-the-way, ‘quietly effective’ VP all those years, Joe, would later become, in loudly-expressed sentiments, one of America’s greatest presidents

he defeated Trump, then Covid 

election odds now?

too early to tell - they won’t be affected by all the various trials, they’ve lost credibility & just put people to sleep now

people get released from prison after being wrongly-incarcerated 

a Trump victory in Nov would be much the same 

proof that the majority believe all the garbage thrown his way was by people as rotten as the garbage itself

that it didn’t amount to much 

& that the majority liked Donald enough to return him to office

Posted : March 14, 2024 5:28 am
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

a Trump victory in Nov would be much the same 

proof that the majority believe all the garbage thrown his way was by people as rotten as the garbage itself

that it didn’t amount to much 

& that the majority liked Donald enough to return him to office

The majority of voting Americans have never wanted Trump for president.

"My friends say I'm ugly I got a masculine face." Tom Waits

Posted : March 14, 2024 4:51 pm
Bill_Graham and Rusty reacted
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

The outcome of the 2016 election tells a different story

if poll stats are at all legit, it was close both in 2016 and 2020
so it’d seem the majority favored him narrowly in 2016

then, yes in 2020 another slight majority didn’t want him as president then 

This post was modified 1 month ago by Stephen

Posted : March 14, 2024 6:03 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

@stephen Clinton and Biden both had more votes than Trump in 2016 and 2020 so how do you figure?

This post was modified 1 month ago by Bill_Graham

Posted : March 14, 2024 6:10 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

hi Bill, shoot I don’t understand the ? - a genius about politics I’m not 

unsure how Hillary had more votes than Don if you’re referring to 2016

Mayb the combined votes of both elections when added up, showed a majority against Trump - would have to be a real narrow margin🤙🇺🇸

Posted : March 14, 2024 6:28 pm
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

hi Bill, shoot I don’t understand the ? - a genius about politics I’m not 

unsure how Hillary had more votes than Don if you’re referring to 2016

Mayb the combined votes of both elections when added up, showed a majority against Trump - would have to be a real narrow margin🤙🇺🇸

It's real easy, in 2016 2.9 million more (hence the very essence and meaning of majority) voted for Clinton and in 2020 more than 7 million more voted for Biden rather than Trump.

Not a majority either time for Trump and I wouldn't call those numbers "real narrow."

Posted : March 14, 2024 6:37 pm
Bill_Graham reacted
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Then how did Don become president when outpolled by almost 3 million votes? mayb the electoral college, fraudulent votes etc 

am sure the majority😵‍💫feel as you do, that it was a landslide for Joe in 2020

what if Donald wins convincingly in Nov

might that spark another Civil War - neither side will back down or will take the L sitting down - Trump’s supporters raised hell at the Capitol & I KINDA doubt his haters will say congrats if he wins this time

Clinton outpolled Trump in 2016

yet he was still elected - if I’m reading you right - may not be - but ya learn something new every day

This post was modified 1 month ago 2 times by Stephen

Posted : March 14, 2024 7:00 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

@stephen 

So what you are saying is you didn't know, or don't believe, Clinton had close to 3 million more votes than Trump in 2016 and don't understand how the Electoral College works?

Really?

Posted : March 14, 2024 7:16 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

That is the truth my friend

know the term electoral college, vaguely understand it

Now I can see why people are so scared of Trump - bounced at the polls, & bounced into the Oval Office -

wonder how many previous elections this has occurred in, where the majority was minoritied by the electoral college - 

it’s too challenging to my common sense - a brain on politics I’m not🧠but as always, stay w/how I feel too🤙🇺🇸

This post was modified 1 month ago by Stephen

Posted : March 14, 2024 7:33 pm
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

And yet he keeps repeatedly posting about things he admits he doesn't know and/or understand.

Posted : March 14, 2024 7:37 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Posted by: @oldcoot

And yet he keeps repeatedly posting about things he admits he doesn't know and/or understand.

he’s full of it- saying I don’t understand something fully doesn’t mean I’m ignorant about it - totally a differing POV no more no less

Posted : March 14, 2024 8:02 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

yes, looked it up, Clinton won 48% of the popular vote to 46% for Trump

but the electoral vote, I read, was 324-217 for Trump, giving him the W

did not know the electoral college superseded/overrode the popular vote - how many poll votes have been overturned by the elec college - many more than I thought

so yes, didn’t understand the full impact of it blah blah - hope that makes him feel better

Posted : March 14, 2024 8:56 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Test

posts getting deleted left & right

it’s hilarious who become people non grata around here

posted just now, saw it, then deleted in 2 seconds 

I want Trump to flatten the field & finally live up to the promise “the majority” says he’s promised for years, of being a tyrant

”see look at that - he’s posted that s**t for years here, he’s a traitor just like his hero”

let’s see how long this one lasts - I know people read it as I type, my posts go into a Draft file, I see that blue spinning icon every time

Posted : March 15, 2024 7:03 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

he’s full of it- saying I don’t understand something fully doesn’t mean I’m ignorant about it - totally a differing POV no more no less

Continuously talking about something you don't understand is kind of the definition of ignorance.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : March 15, 2024 9:07 am
oldcoot reacted
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

5 Presidents in history won the Presidency but lost the popular vote

https://www.history.com/news/presidents-electoral-college-popular-vote

Three were in the 1800's with G. Dubya Bush and Trump losing the popular vote more recently.

Posted : March 15, 2024 9:17 am
Stephen reacted
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@bill_graham

I wish we would get rid of it. Its use has lapsed. One of the the original purposes of the EC was to force candidates to visit all of the states rather than just a region. But today candidates spend all of their time in a small handful of arbitrary areas that happen to be more evenly divided than others desperately trying to sway swing votes. Not to mention, a vote in CA is worth less than a vote in MT. It's not a proper representation of the electorate.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : March 15, 2024 10:15 am
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

@porkchopbob My own radical ideas:  lose the Electoral College; all primaries on the same day.  Let the PEOPLE pick the President!

Posted : March 15, 2024 10:42 am
PorkchopBob reacted
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@rusty agree, the Primary "season" is a joke. Again, a handful of states "pick" the nominee before most states get to vote. It made sense when candidates were campaigning by rail and news traveled slowly but those days are long gone.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : March 15, 2024 11:24 am
Rusty reacted
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Posted by: @porkchopbob

Continuously talking about something you don't understand is kind of the definition of ignorance.

I see he’s going to run w/this

i didn’t know that about the elec college - so on that one count, yes I don’t know shit/am ignorant

outside of that, I know more about politics than he ever did - 

anyone who doesn’t call Trump scum is ignorant 

said b4, am not really sold on Trump

would like to see him win just to shut up his haters (not that it would)

have said b4, am not the brightest crayon in the box - that was too harsh

so friendly & open minded those antis

good thing no egomaniacs among them or anything - 

Posted : March 15, 2024 4:47 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: