Famed Member

I'm vaccinated so I'm safe.  Right?

Posted : May 8, 2021 9:17 am
nebish reacted
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

I blame Gina😮😄

she was here a long long time - miss her cosmic updates/what the prophecies held for the future of mankind etc 

yeah where will that Chinese rocket crash land...hopefully in a remote area - watta world

This post was modified 3 years ago by Stephen

Posted : May 8, 2021 11:16 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

I have a buddy that saw this thing online where you bet on where it (or most of it) will land. There is a map of Earth with "zones". You pick a particular location. Even the locations are split up so you can't just say the ocean. I think there were four or five spots in the U.S. Almost like a lottery.

Rusty, I don't know if you are safe. It is from China after all. Maybe they want it to hit us. 😛 🙄 

And yeah we might need Gina to chime in. If I am going to bet on this I could use the inside skinny.

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : May 9, 2021 8:15 am
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @lee

I have a buddy that saw this thing online where you bet on where it (or most of it) will land. There is a map of Earth with "zones". You pick a particular location. Even the locations are split up so you can't just say the ocean. I think there were four or five spots in the U.S. Almost like a lottery.

Rusty, I don't know if you are safe. It is from China after all. Maybe they want it to hit us. 😛 🙄 

And yeah we might need Gina to chime in. If I am going to bet on this I could use the inside skinny.

I guess if you bet in the vicinity of Maldives, you would win!

Chinese rocket debris lands near Maldives, draws criticism from NASA

click on map to enlarge

https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics/International-relations/Chinese-rocket-debris-lands-near-Maldives-draws-criticism-from-NASA

BEIJING (Reuters) -- Remnants of China's biggest rocket landed in the Indian Ocean on Sunday, with the bulk of its components destroyed upon re-entry into the Earth's atmosphere, according to Chinese state media, ending days of speculation over where the debris would hit.

The coordinates given by state media, citing the China Manned Space Engineering Office, put the point of impact in the ocean, west of the Maldives archipelago.

Debris from the Long March 5B has had some people looking warily skyward since shortly after it blasted off from China's Hainan island on April 29, but the China Manned Space Engineering Office said most of the debris was burnt up in the atmosphere.

State media reported parts of the rocket re-entered the atmosphere at 10:24 a.m. Beijing time (0224 GMT) and landed at a location with the coordinates of longitude 72.47 degrees east and latitude 2.65 degrees north.

The U.S. Space command confirmed the re-entry of the rocket over the Arabian Peninsula, but said it was unknown if the debris impacted land or water.

"The exact location of the impact and the span of debris, both of which are unknown at this time, will not be released by U.S. Space Command," it said in a statement on its website.

The Long March was the second deployment of the 5B variant since its maiden flight in May 2020. Last year, pieces from the first Long March 5B fell on Ivory Coast, damaging several buildings. No injuries were reported.

"Spacefaring nations must minimize the risks to people and property on Earth of re-entries of space objects and maximize transparency regarding those operations," NASA Administrator Bill Nelson, a former senator and astronaut who was picked for the role in March, said in a statement after the re-entry.

"It is clear that China is failing to meet responsible standards regarding their space debris."

With most of the Earth's surface covered by water, the odds of populated area on land being hit had been low, and the likelihood of injuries even lower, according to experts.

But uncertainty over the rocket's orbital decay and China's failure to issue stronger reassurances in the run-up to the re-entry fuelled anxiety.

"It is critical that China and all spacefaring nations and commercial entities act responsibly and transparently in space to ensure the safety, stability, security, and long-term sustainability of outer space activities," Nelson said.

Harvard-based astrophysicist Jonathan McDowell told Reuters that the potential debris zone could have been as far north as New York, Madrid or Beijing, and as far south as southern Chile and Wellington, New Zealand.

Since large chunks of the NASA space station Skylab fell from orbit in July 1979 and landed in Australia, most countries have sought to avoid such uncontrolled re-entries through their spacecraft design, McDowell said.

"It makes the Chinese rocket designers look lazy that they didn't address this," said McDowell.

The Global Times, a Chinese tabloid, dismissed as "Western hype" concerns the rocket was "out of control" and could cause damage.

"It is common practice across the world for upper stages of rockets to burn up while reentering the atmosphere," Wang Wenbin, a spokesman at China's foreign ministry, said at a regular media briefing on May 7.

"To my knowledge, the upper stage of this rocket has been deactivated, which means most of its parts will burn up upon re-entry, making the likelihood of damage to aviation or ground facilities and activities extremely low," Wang said at the time.

The rocket, which put into orbit an unmanned Tianhe module containing what will become living quarters for three crew on a permanent Chinese space station, will be followed by 10 more missions to complete the station by 2022.

This post was modified 3 years ago by jszfunk

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : May 10, 2021 7:41 am
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

That's what happens when you use a rocket that was made in China!  

Posted : May 10, 2021 9:03 am
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @rusty

That's what happens when you use a rocket that was made in China!  

Boycott China!

Posted : May 11, 2021 1:05 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

China went from making rockets to making spy balloons

one of which the US shot down 

will China feel forced to retaliate - China wouldn’t have informed the US through their embassies, or the UN, of its plan to float-aloft a spy balloon - it was a spy mission, subterfuge, espionage - & violated int’l law

Mayb they did go thru proper diplomatic channels for permission to float their balloon, & it was shot down in error 

let this not be a spark, the trigger, a flashpoint, of WW III

This post was modified 1 year ago 2 times by Stephen

Posted : February 4, 2023 5:55 pm
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

Shot down just up the coast in Myrtle Beach ... after it had flown over every AFB and missile silo in the U.S.!    I'm sure that China collected data live throughout the flight.

Posted : February 4, 2023 6:43 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Am frequently amazed about the rarity in this country of natural disasters like the earthquakes in Turkey that have left a terrible, rising death toll

there was a tremor this morning in Buffalo NY - what’s to keep what’s happened in Turkey, from happening there 

to return to topic via an old expression, chances are higher than a Chinese kite of retaliation on their part - they claim the balloon was collecting weather data when it was blown off course by an ill wind

wattaworld✌️

Posted : February 6, 2023 9:37 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

apparently we’re not finished w/China just yet

Bloomberg’s just reported a story that the US is still weighing retaliatory action

thought we took care of that already by shooting down their balloon

IF what we pull up from the ocean floor is what China says it was, weather data….

but it might prove to be what Uncle Sam is saying - recon data proving China was scoping us out w/military mayhem in mind, etc & so forth

after being shot down into the ocean, will any data even be analyzable 

It was tit for tat already, the two great superpowers should leave it at that

Posted : February 6, 2023 10:29 am
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

Posted by: @stephen

... IF what we pull up from the ocean floor is what China says it was, weather data….

What if we pull from the shelves of Wal-Mart, Musician's Friend, Guitar Center, Sweetwater - virtually every big-box store in America all of that shoddy merchandise that took manufacturing jobs from America?  The music stores use to include COUNTRY OF ORIGIN on the spec' descriptions of products in their on-line catalogs.  Now, the manufacturers (Chinese, especially) HIDE the little tag that tells you where the product was made.  These use to be in relatively plain sight - easy to find.  

This is not just about "weather" balloons and Covid.  Check China's long and storied past on human rights and labor conditions.

I do my best to not buy anything manufactured in China, but if you took all of those products off the shelves, Wal-Mart (for example) would look like a vacant building.

Posted : February 6, 2023 10:49 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

🤙that they would (empty box stores) - archaic human rights & labor conditions probly enable China to undersell U.S.-made product prices right in our own backyard

thankfully this isn’t about that or Covid - just hoping the great balloon caper doesn’t cause suspicion/paranoia among the wrong people - neurotic/misguided attitudes spread a lot quicker than covids

but we’ve turned the corner from the tripledemic & will from this too - depending I suppose on what the balloon data reveals -

this whole situation went over like a led balloon - hopefully it is found ruined beyond recognition, & all concerned agree to leave it at that & look-forward peaceably

This post was modified 1 year ago 3 times by Stephen

Posted : February 7, 2023 6:55 am
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

@stephen Just because you're paranoid does not mean that people aren't out to get you.

Posted : February 7, 2023 10:24 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

I had that t-shirt one time! “Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean someone isn’t out to get you”

Posted : February 7, 2023 11:12 am
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I have been kinda unplugged late last week by being off of work. Did not hear about this till a few days ago. Maybe its me, but that type of technology seems very antiquated/archaic. Something you would have hear about during the first days of the Cold War or a James Bond movie. I dunno seems weird to be using that type of technology this day and age, but what do I know?!

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : February 7, 2023 11:53 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

I know what you mean - what’s next, the Hindenburg, haha - they don’t know what they shot down today, other than calling it an ‘object’ - “apparently” unmanned 

it’s gettin weird out there in the wild blue yonder - paging Gina🤙

Posted : February 10, 2023 7:57 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

They’re UCOs, apparently (unidentified cylindrical objects) - why no photos, or description of their dimensions?? - one Friday over Alaska, another Saturday over Canada

Are They Connected To/In Cahoots W/China In Last Week’s Balloon Shootdown

still no word on recovery in the Atlantic of any “black box” type clues of balloon’s business there - ”will they find classified documents” haha🤙✌️

about the UCOs, article said pilots had differing opinions about what specifically they were - that one of them might have been a balloon….

Hopefully it stays a caper, not a crisis

This post was modified 1 year ago by Stephen

Posted : February 12, 2023 2:53 pm
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

Unidentified Cylindrical Objects (UCOs) - beer cans tossed at widescreens by fans of the losing Super Bowl team.  Most do not have "black boxes", but some Guiness cans contain a "widget" - purportedly to make the beer taste better.  Chalk this up to space aliens or marketing.

Posted : February 12, 2023 4:47 pm
Stephen reacted
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Know it’s kickoff - the latest one, over Lake Huron in Mich, was described as “an octagonal structure with strings attached to it” 

It reads like an Outer Limits episode 

Do We Know That All These Balloons Etc That We’re Shooting Down, Have Hostile Intent????

how can they hope to recover anything when they’ve been shot to pieces & crash landed

to the Super Bowl, don’t care who wins, good game in store….hopefully no UFO debris falls on the stadium

This post was modified 1 year ago by Stephen

Posted : February 12, 2023 7:47 pm
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

... the latest one, over Lake Huron in Mich, was described as “an octagonal structure with strings attached to it”

Maybe some Yooper made a kite out of a Stop sign?

Posted : February 12, 2023 9:24 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

😆ya those UPers are having fun w/it - word is the stop sign had a Budman sticker on it & everything

balloon, cylindrical, octagonal….

next one, a manned flying saucer

which lands on terra firma - unleashing

The Return Of The Zanti Misfits😮:uhoh:👁️

Posted : February 13, 2023 9:47 am
Rusty reacted
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

The Return Of The Zanti Misfits!

Outer Limits!

Posted : February 13, 2023 6:01 pm
Stephen reacted
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

😁How you go Rusty! It’s one of my favorite episodes - let Joe not piss off the Zantis or we’re all in deep ****, haha!

yeah this one - also 100 Days of the Dragon, great stuff - gotta mention The Special One too🤙

Posted : February 13, 2023 7:23 pm
Rusty reacted
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Shot down just up the coast in Myrtle Beach ... after it had flown over every AFB and missile silo in the U.S.!    I'm sure that China collected data live throughout the flight.

that they did - according to current “reports by US media” - from its spy balloon China breached our security systems & came away w/all the low-down b4 being shot-down

Uncle Sam disputes that tho, saying “White House can’t confirm” balloon did indeed yield/China in fact did gain, sensitive classified info or military intel

- previously-mentioned selfie of rogue balloon now recirculating 

now newly informed (apparently) w/up-to-date data on our military warfare strengths/weaknesses/capabilities etc, what does China plan to do - they have no reason to have military mayhem in mind🧨 🚀 - as mentioned b4, still a caper, not a crisis✌️

This post was modified 1 year ago 3 times by Stephen

Posted : April 5, 2023 8:07 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

- previously-mentioned selfie of rogue balloon now recirculating 

yep the Space Force, the space-based branch of the US military, is doing the job

leaked secret documents along with our space military monitoring/peacekeeping efforts, have established that “at least” 4 Chinese spy balloons were/still are aloft

they could be infiltrating US to gain military data (US claim), observing weather patterns (China claim), fine-tuning their own space technology for everything from spying to improved rice/kite production……

the answer only lies in an ancient Chinese proverb - a wise one indeed that proves out regularly

“trouble is like a weed - once it starts to grow, it covers everything” - sure enough, look at the seaweed fiasco in Fla

some would say, it is what it is - I say

yippee-ka-yo

yippee-ka-yay……😁

😵‍💫good wknd

This post was modified 1 year ago 5 times by Stephen

Posted : April 15, 2023 5:40 am
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member

yep the Space Force, the space-based branch of the US military, is doing the job

Well, it's a new department - widely laughed at, Biden included $30 billion in his budget for it - that's almost double it's first budget just a few years ago

Posted : April 18, 2023 11:03 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

The Return Of The Zanti Misfits!

-- attachment is not available --

Outer Limits!

now we cross over into the Twilight Zone w/the news that aircraft searchers have detected “a noise” coming from underwater in the area where they’ve been looking for a manned submersible that was diving on the Titanic in the north Atlantic 

they lost contact w/the submersible 1 hour 45 min into its descent to the wreck on Sunday

what kind of noises the aircraft picked up, rtcl didn’t say (Wash Post) - 5 people were in the sub

one recalls the Twilight Zone show The 30 Fathom Grave - in that episode, they found the sub they were looking for at the bottom of the ocean, & heard noises coming from it

apparently they’ve now heard noises in this real-life search

praying they next find the sub - its oxygen supply is dwindling, it has a 40 hour supply -

it’s a challenging task, they’re having to look both on & below the surface, & there’s always the weather

realistically, chances for a good outcome look as remote as the submersible’s location way down below the ocean

This post was modified 10 months ago 6 times by Stephen

Posted : June 21, 2023 4:48 am
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

@stephen Still puzzled over how this "submersible" thing was allowed to operate.  Saw an older news story (NBC) on it just the other day.  Looked home-made and Jerry-rigged as all get out!  Cast iron plumbing pipes used for ballasts and a freakin' Nintendo video game joystick for steering for starters!  One of the defenders of the project argued that "this is not a Disney ride ...".  Too bad - at least amusement park rides are checked and tested for safety.  If there's a positive side to not being among the world's most wealthy citizens - this ride was restricted to those with $250,000.00 to blow on a joy ride.  God bless those lost souls and their loved ones.  At the same time, score another one for Poseidon and Neptune!

Posted : June 23, 2023 12:01 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@rusty

There's really no regulation in the middle of the open ocean for such ventures - who even has jurisdiction?

You couldn't get me in one of those pressurized coffins for this very tragic reason. To be fair, it was hardly homemade and had several successful trips under its belt. But nuclear subs have faced the same fate due to just the slightest malfunction.

I did read that, as DIY as it may sound, video game controllers are often refitted for other such controls.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/titanic-submarine-missing-video-game-xbox-controller-is-that-normal/

In 2017, the Navy announced it would implement Xbox controllers on submarines to operate photonics masts, which are similar to periscopes, The Virginia-Pilot reported. Lt. j.g. Kyle Leonard, the USS John Warner's assistant weapons officer, told the publication junior officers and sailors said the original controllers were clunky and Senior Chief Mark Eichenlaub said the Xbox controllers were an easy and cheap replacement.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : June 23, 2023 12:24 pm
Rusty reacted
Page 1 / 2
Share: