5 Users
7 Likes
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Finally an EO I can get excited about!

Buy American!

The most encouraging aspect is creating an Buy American office within OMB and appointing a director to oversee it.

Would be nice if the political reaction was equal...if Trump/Navarro/Lighthizer promoted it, it would ruin the economy.  If Biden wants it, Democratic allies are supportive.  I'm all for it, it's the policy that matters, not who is promoting it.

Posted : January 26, 2021 1:48 pm
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
Illustrious Member

@nebish  For some reason I thought of you when i heard he had signed it ..... 😀 

Posted : January 26, 2021 2:10 pm
nebish reacted
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @sang

@nebish  For some reason I thought of you when i heard he had signed it ..... 😀 

Well, you have a good memory from our discussions.

I have received a few texts and emails from friends as well.  I guess I'm the buy USA guy.  I just got off the phone with Allstar Performance to make sure their braided stainless steel brake hoses are made in USA.

I think it's important obviously.

Posted : January 26, 2021 2:23 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Screenshot 2021 01 26 All of President Biden’s key executive orders — in one chart
Screenshot 2021 01 26 All of President Biden’s key executive orders — in one chart(1)
Screenshot 2021 01 26 All of President Biden’s key executive orders — in one chart(2)

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/all-of-president-bidens-key-executive-orders-in-one-chart-2021-01-21

Key Biden executive actions
Subject Type of action Date
Re-engage with World Health Organization End withdrawal process Jan. 20
Create position of COVID-19 response coordinator Executive order Jan. 20
Rejoin Paris climate agreement Sign an "instrument" Jan. 20
Revoke permit for Keystone XL pipeline, pause energy leasing in ANWR Executive order Jan. 20
Ask agencies to extend eviction/foreclosure moratoriums Request Jan. 20
Ask Education Dept. to extend student-loan pause Request Jan. 20
Launch an initiative to advance racial equity, end "1776 Commission" Executive order Jan. 20
Revoke order that aims to exclude undocumented immigrants from census Executive order Jan. 20
Preserve/fortify DACA, which helps "Dreamers" Memorandum Jan. 20
Require masks/distancing on all federal property and by federal workers Executive order Jan. 20
Reverse travel ban targeting primarily Muslim countries Executive order Jan. 20
Stop construction of border wall Proclamation Jan. 20
Combat discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity Executive order Jan. 20
Require ethics pledge for executive-branch personnel Executive order Jan. 20
Modernize and improve regulatory review Memorandum Jan. 20
End "harsh and extreme immigration enforcement" Executive order Jan. 20
Extend protection from deportation for Liberians in U.S. Memorandum Jan. 20
Revoke certain executive orders concerning federal regulation Executive order Jan. 20
Freeze any new or pending regulations Memorandum Jan. 20
Fill supply shortfalls in fight vs. COVID-19 with Defense Production Act, other measures Executive order Jan. 21
Increase FEMA reimbursement to states for National Guard, PPE Memorandum Jan. 21
Establish “COVID-19 Pandemic Testing Board,” expand testing Executive order Jan. 21
Bolster access to COVID-19 treatments and clinical care Executive order Jan. 21
Improve collection/analysis of COVID-related data Executive order Jan. 21
Mount vaccination campaign amid goals such as 100 million shots in 100 days Directives Jan. 21
Provide guidance on safely reopening schools Executive order Jan. 21
OSHA guidance for keeping workers safe from COVID-19 Executive order Jan. 21
Require face masks at airports, other modes of transportation Executive order Jan. 21
Establish a “COVID-19 Health Equity Task Force” Executive order Jan. 21
Support international response to COVID-19, “restore U.S. global leadership” Directive Jan. 21
Ask agencies to boost food aid, improve delivery of stimulus checks Executive order Jan. 22
Restore collective bargaining power for federal workers Executive order Jan. 22
Repeal ban on transgender people serving openly in U.S. military Executive order Jan. 25
Tighten ‘Buy American’ rules in government procurement Executive order Jan. 25
Reinstate coronavirus travel restrictions on Brazil, most of Europe Proclamation Jan. 25
End the Justice Department’s use of private prisons Executive order Jan. 26
Directs HUD to address discriminatory housing practices Memorandum Jan. 26
Combat racism against Asian-Americans, Pacific Islanders Memorandum Jan. 26
Directs agencies to engage in consultations with tribal governments Memorandum Jan. 26
Reopen Obamacare marketplaces, lower recent barriers to joining Medicaid TBD Expected as soon as Jan. 28

Posted : January 26, 2021 10:22 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

First week:

George HW Bush - 1 EO, 0 Memoranda

Bill Clinton - 2 EOs, 6 Memoranda

George W Bush - 0 EOs, 2 Memoranda

Barack Obama - 6 EOs, 9 Memoranda

Donald Trump - 5 EOs, 9 Memoranda

Joe Biden - 23 EOs, 8 Memoranda, 2 Proclamations, 3 Instruments/Directives, 3 Re-engage/Requests

Posted : January 27, 2021 12:22 am
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
Illustrious Member

He had a lot to undo .... and it's Barack ... Grinning  

Posted : January 27, 2021 1:41 am
nebish reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Keystone XL was a mistake. Over. 11,000 good union jobs gone. And that union supported Biden. Wonder what those men and women think now? Ready to stop paying those union dues??

Posted : January 27, 2021 6:42 am
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

He had a lot to undo .... and it's Barack ... Grinning  

I need to proof read before posting!

Posted : January 27, 2021 9:41 am
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
Illustrious Member

As someone on Facebook mentioned, the pipeline will also take away the jobs of the truckers and railroads that are currently being used instead of the pipeline.  The cost of gas won't go up because of the cancellation, because we are already paying for the current modes of transportation to get it to the refineries.  The pipeline may reduce the cost of getting it there, but not building it won't add to the current cost.  Most of it gets shipped elsewhere and is not used in the US anyway .... 

Posted : January 30, 2021 3:02 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

As someone on Facebook mentioned, the pipeline will also take away the jobs of the truckers and railroads that are currently being used instead of the pipeline.  The cost of gas won't go up because of the cancellation, because we are already paying for the current modes of transportation to get it to the refineries.  The pipeline may reduce the cost of getting it there, but not building it won't add to the current cost.  Most of it gets shipped elsewhere and is not used in the US anyway .... 

Transporting oil by pipeline is safer than truck or rail car though.  That is a bad comparison though.  It would be like comparing the direct and indirect jobs in place to build the railway to the direct and indirect jobs to build the pipeline.  The current rail yard workers and train operators would be comparable to the workers who would maintain and control the flow of the oil in the pipeline.

I agree, the cost of gas will not go up because of this. There is a negative fallout without the project, but saying that oil prices are going to rise is just a scare tactic.  In theory, XL would put more oil on the market, but other countries, namely OPEC and a few others adjust their output up and down.  So one could argue that any increase in global supply that XL would deliver into the market could be negated by some coutry(s) cutting back on their output.

I can get both sides of the argument.  If it was up to me, I would authorize it.  At any rate, this isn't shouldn't be the hill to die on.  I would've liked Biden to be a little more open minded on changes the project has taken since he was last in office and listen to what Trudeau had to say on it, but Biden telegraphed what he was going to do when running for office.  Like I said, the least surprising action he has taken and the Democrats just can not and will not green light anything to do with expanded fossil fuel production or use.  Part of what people vote for, and partially why I never vote Democrat for President.

Posted : January 30, 2021 7:01 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: