The Allman Brothers Band
The wild, crazy, to...

Notifications
Clear all

The wild, crazy, totally true story of Col. Bruce Hampton's death.

3 Posts
3 Users
3 Likes
AlPaul
(@alpaul)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Originally written for the Wall Street JOurnal.

Posted over the weekend for the fourth anniversary of Bruce's passing. It's such a wild story. >>

https://bit.ly/3e9cL8T

Posted : May 4, 2021 10:20 pm
Zambi, Rusty and harvey reacted
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

I attended that fateful show.  It was at once one of the most horrific things I've ever witnessed and something that I am so glad that I got to be a small part of.  One of the finest musical events I've ever attended (maybe the best, "Jessica" you'll ever hear).  Also, and for certain the most surreal.  I remember all the folks (fans and celeb's alike) milling around the lobby of the Georgia Terrace before the show.  Same folks, but different vibe immediately following the sudden ending of the show - which was not unlike the scene in "The Wizard of Oz" when the title character yanks the curtain back while announcing, "pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"  I sat in my room all night and listened to local TV and radio waiting for some word on what I had just witnessed.  It seemed like it could have been a publicity stunt?  Still so hard to believe.  I miss the Colonel.  

Posted : May 5, 2021 9:51 am
islalala
(@islalala)
Honorable Member

Thanks for bumping this topic up, Alan. A nice, albeit brief, tribute you wrote. 

I'm probably in the minority here, but that entire show needs to be released, including, especially including, the last moments at the end. Seeing clips on YouTube right after were what truly opened me up to the Colonel and want to seek him out. Yes, I knew who he was and knew some of his music and heard my favorite artists talk about him, but I had no idea to what extent he occupied such a magnitude of the universe. And then to see him go like that... HOLY SHIT!

I'm sure there are plenty of legal concerns in doing so and more importantly the emotional impact it might present to his family ( does he have any family? ) and those dear to him that need to get worked thru --- but it's like that event never even happened now because of how it ended.

There's got to be a way to create something that honors the beauty of it all, no?

Posted : May 5, 2021 11:34 am
Share: