Allman Betts Band - Blue Sky

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
redhouse1969
(@redhouse1969)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Going down a well travelled road & doing it with style & class. Listen to the beginning of Duane's solo - don't tell me tone is not genetic!

Posted : May 5, 2021 1:23 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

I like Johnny's playing in this band too. 

Duane Betts is apparently playing dad's 1961 ES-335 dot neck. 

Dickey is the one Jaimoe said always had the best tone in the ABB. 

Posted : May 6, 2021 5:45 am
islalala
(@islalala)
Honorable Member

They do this tune EVERY show. Same with Midnight Rider. You can find tons of versions of them on YouTube, etc. and unfortunately many times these are the only tunes that folks will record and post from that given show. I'm never ungrateful to see footage, however, the best stuff this band does is their own material. 

I get that they gotta build the brand and pay the bills, but I can't wait until these guys only play their dad's stuff because they want to, and not because they have to.

Great band. Go see them!

Posted : May 6, 2021 9:08 am
steadyhorse
(@steadyhorse)
Reputable Member

Duane has come a long way in his guitar playing over the years, that was a pretty nice solo. If the band is going to play ABB covers I would love to hear songs like Just Ain’t Easy, Come And Go Blues, Nobody Knows and Sail Away...

Posted : May 6, 2021 9:54 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@steadyhorse Two written by Gregg and two written by Dickey. 

If it weren't for Gregg and Dickey, the Allman Brothers wouldn't have had much really good original material. And probably ended up like Barefoot Jerry or Sea Level. Modest success and broken up by 1982. 

Duane Allman of course was the founder and the vision and sparkplug but after Duane, Gregg Allman and Dickey Betts are far more important to the success of the band than any of the other members over the years. 

Of course the sound of the band was forged by all six of the original members but Gregg and Dickey were big pieces of the success of the band over the years. 

Posted : May 7, 2021 9:45 am
steadyhorse
(@steadyhorse)
Reputable Member

I’ve seen the Allman/Betts band twice, I like their own songs and if they play the ABB covers I’d rather see songs that no one is ever going to play again

Posted : May 7, 2021 10:16 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@steadyhorse I like their stuff too. I saw them twice last year. 

Devon Allman plays a lot of different guitars with that band. Apparently they all belonged to Gregg. Devon said Gregg had 42 guitars and he gave all of them to Devon. 

Berry Oakley, Jr has his father's Fender bass. Dickey gave that to him. Dickey had Berry's Fender bass all those years. 

Duane Betts has a 2001 Les Paul Goldtop Dickey Betts signature custom, 1961 ES-335 dot neck and a 1956 Strat hardtail with him in that band plus a Gibson acoustic and those belong to Dickey. 

I like Johnny Stachela's guitar playing in that band too. 

Well all the guys are good musicians. 

Posted : May 7, 2021 11:15 am
Share: