The Brothers show coming out on BluRay, DVD & CD

32 Posts
11 Users
15 Likes
WarEagleRK
(@wareaglerk)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I guess we have the answer to the poll above as it looks like the CD, DVD & Bluray are coming out soon.

Posted : May 12, 2021 3:52 pm
Zambi, matt05, ManWithNoName and 1 people reacted
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

That's very cool, and kind of funny - I give them a lot of credit for trying to keep everyone happy.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : May 12, 2021 4:39 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Found it on itunes as well: https://music.apple.com/us/album/march-10-2020-madison-square-garden-live/1565854515

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : May 12, 2021 4:40 pm
matt05 reacted
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Spotify has "Statesboro Blues" up for preview: https://open.spotify.com/album/22p0Qqrt65Cgf1LJgG9mOu

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : May 12, 2021 4:46 pm
ManWithNoName
(@manwithnoname)
Eminent Member

Very exciting! The listing for the Blu-Ray indicates that there are 2 Blu-Rays. I wonder if that’s a mistake? I can’t think of a reason 2 discs would be needed unless there’s a ton of bonus materials. 

Posted : May 12, 2021 6:05 pm
matt05 and PorkchopBob reacted
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Previewing it on itunes, sounds great. I haven't listened to the show since last March, I forgot they performed "Come & Go Blues" with the B&S shuffle.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : May 12, 2021 6:49 pm
matt05
(@matt05)
Noble Member

Great news

Posted : May 12, 2021 9:04 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Great news! it will be interesting to see if the CD's sound different or better than the Nugs audio.

Posted : May 13, 2021 9:26 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

This was the last big show I attended. Enjoyed it and apparently got out without catching Covid-19. 

It was a great show by a new band called The Brothers who were paying tribute to the Allman Brothers Band and it's 50th anniversary. 

Perfect lineup to do this too as most of the players were members of the Allman Brothers. Warren, Derek, Oteil, Jaimoe, Chuck and even Reese who was in the original band before it was named and Gregg joined. 

I'm going with the Blu-ray. 

I read Dickey and Devon are hoping this release is a big seller. That is nice of them. 

Wonder if this band will do just the ONE show?

Posted : May 13, 2021 9:37 am
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

Posted by: @robertdee

This was the last big show I attended. Enjoyed it and apparently got out without catching Covid-19. 

It was a great show by a new band called The Brothers who were paying tribute to the Allman Brothers Band and it's 50th anniversary. 

Perfect lineup to do this too as most of the players were members of the Allman Brothers. Warren, Derek, Oteil, Jaimoe, Chuck and even Reese who was in the original band before it was named and Gregg joined. 

I read Dickey and Devon are hoping this release is a big seller. That is nice of them. 

Did blackey also attend? If so, what were his thoughts on the show?

"My friends say I'm ugly I got a masculine face." Tom Waits

Posted : May 13, 2021 12:35 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@oldcoot Blackey's favorite song is Blue Sky, a song he listens to at least once practically every day since February, 1972. Never gets tired of hearing it and it's melody and lyrics are uplifting and gives one a happy feeling even after thousands of times hearing Blue Sky. Blackey thought Chuck Leavell's turn on Blue Sky was excellent and he enjoyed the entire show and thought it was the best tribute band to play an Allman Brothers show.  

There is a lot of that going in now. The Eagles, Pink Floyd, Metallica and Led Zeppelin have all had tribute bands appear in my area in the last 12 months with masks and social distancing. But The Brothers show was really special as a tribute band because everyone on the stage had Allman Brothers Band connections. 

I was just listening to an interview with Warren Haynes and Warren said that he, Derek and Otiel felt awkward after they became the standing front line in the Allman Brothers because to them and many older fan ( Blackey is one at age 74) the REAL Allman Brothers Band is the band that played from 1969 to 1971. Then Warren said " with that said I defy anyone who saw us on a good night to said we didn't do the legacy of the original band proud". 

Posted : May 13, 2021 5:04 pm
Bill_Graham reacted
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @oldcoot

Did blackey also attend? If so, what were his thoughts on the show?

Yes, I understand he was there by himself but he had to buy two seats for some reason. I think they were in different sections. I guess you really can be in two places at the same time. 😛 

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : May 14, 2021 8:23 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @porkchopbob

That's very cool, and kind of funny - I give them a lot of credit for trying to keep everyone happy.

Great point, I agree.

Posted : May 14, 2021 8:25 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@lee. Two seats. One for me and one for Blackey. We would swap seats every other song. That stopped when the wine kicked in. 

Here is a Blue Sky from England in 1974 that has Chuck in the band. 

Posted : May 14, 2021 9:59 am
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

@lee. Two seats. One for me and one for Blackey. We would swap seats every other song. That stopped when the wine kicked in. 

Here is a Blue Sky from England in 1974 that has Chuck in the band. 

How incredibly rude if there really was more than one of you. Switching seats and disturbing other people trying to enjoy a show.

Posted : May 14, 2021 2:32 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@oldcoot We didn't disturb anyone. I can't count the times I've been distrubed at a concert. One that stands out was at a Coliseum at a Greatful Dead Show. Seated to my right was my girlfriend. To my left was a stranger. The opening band was playing and he kept jabbing me in the arm or tapping me on the shoulder yelling " Man listen to that bass player thumping and them drums. That Grateful Dead band it the real deal big daddy. They are the s***!" I would yell.. " That ISN'T THE GRATEFUL DEAD!!! THEY COME ON AFTER THIS BAND!!" That happened five or six times. 

Then when the Grateful Dead did play this guy slept in his seat the entire time they played even though it was loud. Unbelievable!! 

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by robertdee

Posted : May 14, 2021 5:49 pm
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

Can't help but think the aforementioned girlfriend is likely as imaginary as robertdee/blackey being two different people. Still sticking with the two separate people schtick?

Please don't answer with blackey's favorite song that he listens to everyday, the original lineup is the tops etc. non-answer ridiculous diversion. One person or two?

Posted : May 14, 2021 8:07 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@oldcoot Well everyone who is a major Allman Brothers fan realizes the original band created this music world we love, defined the band's signature sound and set the high water mark on playing the old songs. They are played perfectly and is perfection personified. Warren Haynes agrees in a recent interview that is on YouTube. I went with a friend to see the Allman Brothers in 1970 and was unexpectedly hooked to this music like some powerful drug and what grabbed me spiritually in the very first song I heard the band play was Duane Allman's slide guitar, his energy and in charge cockiness. 

Also I submit if it were not for Duane Allman, it's possible we here in 2021 may have never heard of Gregg, Dickey, Oakley, Butch, Jaimoe, Warren or Derek. I would like to think these talented musician would have had some kind of success if they hadn't been in Duane Allman's band but it's possible they would not. Warren made a pile of money co writing a Garth Brooks song before he joined the Allman Brothers so perhaps he would of had Govt Mule and we would know and love that band. Dickey said he would like to think his music is good enough it would have found a way to get out to the public but he wasn't sure. Derek was named for Derek and the Dominos but if Duane hadn't existed or made a mark in the music world, would Derek had taken up slide guitar?  It's like George Bailey in It's A Wonderful Life. If George had not existed what would have happened to the people who became involved with George Bailey? 

I WAS at that Dead show with a girlfriend. Had a few in the 1970's and finally married one. 

The difference between robertdee and Blackey is Blackey is locked in the playpen and robertdee can post here. And robertdee is playing it conservativly and being polite and is respectful of all opinions so robertdee isn't banished to the playpen too. 

If we ever meet at a show Oldcoot I would like to think we would quickly become friends as we certainly love the same band and music. I'm 74 years old so I'm an old coot too!:)

Posted : May 15, 2021 7:15 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Also I enjoyed The Brothers show so much if this band plays again and I'm still living and able to travel I will be there. I'll fly to the gig and would love to meet any of the fans here. 

Posted : May 15, 2021 7:30 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @oldcoot

Can't help but think the aforementioned girlfriend is likely as imaginary as robertdee/blackey being two different people. Still sticking with the two separate people schtick?

Please don't answer with blackey's favorite song that he listens to everyday, the original lineup is the tops etc. non-answer ridiculous diversion. One person or two?

One of them might be Gina. That might require further investigation. The important thing to keep in mind is that Live Bullet by Bob Seger is the greatest live rock album ever. And the last incarnation of the ABB was the best. I know, I saw them once. 😛 

Posted : May 15, 2021 7:59 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

In all seriousness, here's a pretty good review of the show that I hadn't seen. I tried really hard to get there but just couldn't swing it. The hotel and plane prices were all over the map. And of course the virus hit right there. 

https://www.goldminemag.com/reviews/concert-review-the-brothers-celebrating-50-years

Posted : May 15, 2021 8:04 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@lee. Yes it was expensive but I'm retired and if I don't spend some of my 401K now then when? 74 is on down life's road. 

That was a good review. The next day I went down to the river several blocks east of Madison Square Gardens and took a Circle Line boat cruise out to the Statue of Liberty and up the East River and under the Brooklyn Bridge. Then the virus exploded and I went home. The first time I took a Circle Line boat cruise was in 1953 with my parents. My father was in New York every summer on business. The SS United States and the Queen Mary were docked near the 42nd Street Pier. As a 7 year old they looked a mile long. 

The choice of Reese on organ was an excellent choice.  Yes when they had the big jam and Duane said if your not going to be in my band you're gonna have to fight your way out, Reese was the keyboard player. Gregg relates in his book that he hated that his decision to join his brother's band meant that Reese would be odd my out. They had already added another drummer but couldn't carry two keyboard players. 

Bob and the Bullet Band's live album is a rocker. I've always liked it. But Fillmore East is a religious experience to me. It was the first time I could get knocked out at home like the live shows. The first two studio albums are real good but they just don't have that cosmic magic that the live shows had in 1970 and 1971. 

The Brothers live show revisited that for me and it's clear all the men on stage at Madison Garden were there out of deep respect to Duane Allman and what they themselves experienced with Fillmore East and the rewards of being part of the Allman Brothers story. As I related earlier, it could be we wouldn't even know who most were/are if it hadn't been for Duane Allman. 

Hopefully they will play again. If so I'm going if I'm not sick. I get out and take long brisk walks regularly but I feel being 74 years old in my back and knees. 

Would enjoy meeting you at a show down the alley!!

Gregg use to say that especially in the mid 70's when they played Must Have Did Somebody Wrong. " Here is a song from down the alley". Not sure what he meant. 

Posted : May 15, 2021 9:28 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

I remember being 23 years old and convinced by a friend named Sandy Booze (sp?) to go see The Allman Brothers with him. He had already played their album for me and it was good but didn't really blow me away. Idlewild South had not come out yet. 

But live standing there listening and seeing a band play like the above along with Sandy's weed and wine just floored me. A switch was flipped and it was cosmic and spiritual. 

The above excerpt from In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed is the most intense and energy radiation I've ever heard on that particular song. 

Gregg said his brother could light up a stage in a New York minute. The first to face the fire and the best guitarist he had ever worked with. 

Posted : May 15, 2021 5:23 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

I don't know where to put this but Derek Trucks was outstanding at Madison Square Garden with The Brothers. I saw one show Derek did with Eric Clapton that was a great show. 

Eric and Doyle are bringing in the goods no doubt here but Derek really brings the energy to his solo. Hope you all agree. 

Posted : May 15, 2021 7:30 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

On Duane Betts' Facebook page there is a picture of Duane and Devon's acoustic guitars lying on a couch in a room in Dickey's house. I couldn't figure out how to capture it and post it here. Maybe someone can. 

In this room there are framed pictures of many album covers on Dickey's wall. 

I recognized many of them. Fillmore East, Eat A Peach, Seven Turns, Pattern Disruptive, Reach For The Sky and several others. 

Hopefully Dickey will add The Brothers release. Dickey will have several songs on it including Blue Sky and Jessica. 

Posted : May 22, 2021 9:04 am
IF
 IF
(@if)
Reputable Member

I found the image on the Allman Betts Band FB page

178886421 324011939086154 8829141706999480688 n
This post was modified 3 years ago by IF

Posted : May 22, 2021 12:03 pm
Bill_Graham reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@if Oh thank you @if.  I see Win, Loose or Draw, Dickey Betts and Great Southern on the wall too. And three guitars. 

Duane Betts has taken several pictures of the inside of Dickey's house and put them on Facebook in the last year or two. 

Posted : May 22, 2021 7:30 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

https://images.app.goo.gl/QgLbkydVZyDu4dG57   

https://images.app.goo.gl/yh2E2D6p7dpFoo6DA  

https://images.app.goo.gl/yjnwam65BStAMFDj8

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by robertdee

Posted : May 23, 2021 8:08 am
tbomike
(@tbomike)
Noble Member
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@tbomike Okay I'm set. Having Chuck sing Blue Sky and play with the others plus 4 of the last line up and Jaimoe of the last and original bands makes this the perfect lineup to salute the 50th anniversary.

I read that Devon and Dickey are hoping for brisk sales. I doubt it will go gold but you never know. It was a great show. 

Posted : May 27, 2021 6:56 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: