RIP Billy Joe Shaver

9 Posts
6 Users
4 Likes
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Among the many songs Billy wrote were "Georgia on a Fast Train" and "Sweet Mama"

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country/billy-joe-shaver-songwriter-dead-obituary-1082610/

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : October 28, 2020 12:38 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Billy and his son Eddy

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : October 28, 2020 12:42 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Billy Joe on the Norm show

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : October 28, 2020 12:42 pm
Wayne reacted
Psy
 Psy
(@psy)
Reputable Member

Just saw this sad news while I was checking an online news site. He was one of my all-time favorites, second only to Johnny Cash as far as the "Outlaw Country" genre goes for me. Great songwriter and performer. I got to see him perform live three times in about a 10 year span and he put on a great show each time.

Once, when I was in Austin, TX for the SXSW festival, I went to see a screening of a biography about him. After the movie ended, there was an announcement about him being in the theater. He walked out in front of the stage (wearing the exact same clothes he was wearing in much of the film), picked up a microphone and started taking questions from the audience. He seemed to be a great conversationalist and he made me laugh out loud several times during the Q&A session.

R.I.P.

Posted : October 28, 2020 2:48 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
redhouse1969
(@redhouse1969)
Reputable Member

I found Billy Joe through Dickey... I believe they were road buddies so to speak...

"your gonna live forever" rip 

Posted : October 28, 2020 8:44 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@redhouse1969 That is true. Dickey was deeply impressed with all those songs Billy Joe wrote for a Waylon Jennings album. 

Porkchopbob not sure how accurate this is but I heard it from two reliable sources. Billy Joe's son Eddy loved Dickey's playing and got Dickey's help on guitar. After Dickey finished the lessons, Dickey gave him two guitars out of Dickey's collection. A 1955 Stratocaster that he is playing on the Fast Train to Georgia you posted and a Gibson ES-335 that was owned by Duane Allman. Eddy took to the Strat and it was Eddy's number one for the rest of his life except when Eddy was lead guitarist for Dwight Yokum who required Telecasters in his band at that time. 

The story about the Strat is Gregg Allman traded it to Dickey for an old car Dickey had. The ES-335 which Duane owned also came Dickey's way from Gregg. Of course the resinator guitar Duane plays on Little Martha was given to Dickey by Gregg. That is it Dickey is holding on the cover of Highway Call.

When Eddy died in 2000, Willie Nelson wanted the Strat and ES-335 and last I heard they are in a vault at Willie's house. 

Posted : October 28, 2020 9:29 pm
Randall reacted
(@Anonymous 22964)
Reputable Member

Wow , Jerry Jeff and Billy Joe In less than a week , Rest In Peace 

Posted : October 29, 2020 2:17 am
redhouse1969
(@redhouse1969)
Reputable Member

raise a glass folks!

Posted : October 29, 2020 12:18 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
cubchubby
(@cubchubby)
Estimable Member

from Dave Alvin's Facebook page ... 

Very sad to hear of the death of Billy Joe Shaver, one of the great songwriters/performers and a truly unique character.
The first time I met Billy Joe, was in 1987 when he literally kicked in the dressing room door of the Nashville club, The Exit Inn, after I had just played a gig there. I was inside with the head of CBS Nashville (the label both Billy Joe and I were signed with at the time) who was gently informing me that he was ending my tour support because my band, The Allnighters, was too loud and played too much blues and not enough country.
"Goddamn it!" Billy Joe drunkenly shouted as he kicked in the door. "That's the best damn music I've heard in this town for years! You boys gotta be from Texas."
"No. We're from California." I said.
"California, huh? Just like Merle Haggard." Billy Joe said.
"Yes sir, just like Merle. You know Roy from CBS, don't you? He just told me that he's taking away my tour support." I said.
"Well, f**k him. He don't know shit. He just dropped me from his goddamn label last week. " Then Billy Joe paused and looked at the man from CBS Nashville. "How you doing otherwise Roy. Good to see you, you old f**king bastard."
Due to the bad news from CBS Nashville, I was extremely depressed that night and I've always treasured that memory of Billy Joe barging in to rescue me from my gloom. Over the following years, he and I had several crazy, sweet and memorable experiences together. He was one of the greatest songwriters, not only in country music or Texas music but in all of American Music. He was also a complicated, wild, funny, deep and sensitive man. I will miss him.
Here's a fuzzy old photo from a fuzzy, drunken night at Jack's Sugar Shack, when Billy Joe and I decided to jump on stage and sing some Webb Pierce tunes. I wish we were there now.

bjs

Posted : October 29, 2020 8:16 pm
Share: