ABB Final Show 6 Year Anniversary

6 Posts
6 Users
5 Likes
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

And what a show it was. I was fortunate to be there. I had tickets to the final March show that got postponed, so I had to scramble to get tickets to the very last show when it was added. Was glad to be able to meet up with a number of HTN folks before the show. Even saw Steve Earl walking around the Beacon to bear witness with the rest of us pleebs. Munck Music is broadcasting the audio from the show through today on their facebook radio player.

Who else was there?

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : October 28, 2020 2:27 pm
StratDal reacted
steved
(@steved)
Honorable Member

Only there in spirit and to the many listens of my copy. 

The picture of the band arm-and-arm when it was over always brings a tear to my eyes.

Long live the Allman Brothers Band!

Posted : October 28, 2020 4:31 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
VTAB
 VTAB
(@vtab)
Estimable Member

I caught the show the night before. It was a great, what a wonderful memory of the final lineup. 

Greg was just cool, Warren & Derek were on fire. Mark, Butch & Jaimoe created the driving force I've always loved. 

I left that evening thinking 5 years later there would be a tour, man glad i caught that show. My last brothers show was

Les Brers a year or two later they played solid 3 hours in front of 300 people. What a fantastic group of musicians.  

Posted : October 30, 2020 4:37 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
StratDal
(@stratdal)
Noble Member

I never got to see a show at the Beacon.  Even though I was "late to the party" (no surprise), I got to see the ABB perform 3 times at the Greek Theater in So Cal before they called it it a day in 2014.  All good!

One of the best times was hanging out on ABB.com during the 35th anniversary of AFE and reading all the updates.  The true power of the internet!

Here's to Keepin' The Vibe Alive!  Cheers!

Posted : October 30, 2020 7:13 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
RCgp2020
(@rcgp2020)
Estimable Member

Since I've never been to New York I never got to go to the Beacon either. However The ABB left us with enough music played at that venue to last a life time. Todays is a good day to pull a show or 2 out of the collection and sit back and enjoy. ABB for all!

Posted : November 1, 2020 10:35 am
PorkchopBob reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

I didn't make the last show either. But I'm kind of a New Yorker and been countless times in the 1950's, 60's ( went to the 1964 World's Fair) and of course was there for Beacon shows 

I liked that they played Trouble No More as the last song. Trouble No More was the song they played for Gregg when he arrived in Jacksonville to join the band. Berry Oakely sang it and Gregg said in several interviews over the years that they were really blowing. It was something to feel and behold.  Gregg said he had never seen a rock band play like that before and told his brother that he couldn't cut the gig. There was nothing he could add to that and it was beyond his chops. 

Of course as we know, Duane got angry and embarrassed Gregg and said he had been bragging about him to the other guys. Finally Gregg got angry at how Duane was talking to him, wrote down the words, went into the room and really belted it out and that was the last part of the band and the beginning of the Allman Brothers in a way.

Also liked how Gregg said in his book that Reese was a great player and he knew his arrival would likely bump him and sure enough Duane said Reese didn't sing and the others couldn't sing as well as Gregg and he just can't carry two lead guitars, two drummers and two keyboard players too.

I saw the crackdown on crack concert that Bill Graham put on in 1986 in New York. They had Dan Toler and Dickey on guitars, Butch and Jaimoe on drums and Gregg and Chuck Leavell on keyboards and it worked real well. What they didn't have was a full time bass player. Bruce Waibel played bass on Gregg's songs including Gregg sang covers and I think his name was McCoy played on Dickey's songs. 

They hadn't played as the ABB since 1982 and only had two shows in 1986 scheduled so saw no need to hire a bass player. They did when they did a long 20th anniversary tour 3 years later and as most fans know it was Allen Woody. 

This post was modified 3 years ago by robertdee

Posted : November 2, 2020 1:18 pm
Share: