Review of New ABB Archival Releases

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
rowland
(@rowland)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter

Pete Pardo on the Sea of Tranquility YouTube channel reviews Warner Theatre, Erie, PA 7-19-05 and The Final Note – Painters Mill Music Fair, Owings Mills, MD 10-17-71:

I'll get right to it...

Posted : November 3, 2020 12:21 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

That was nice overview of the two latest archival releases. Pretty Les Paul on the wall.

The last time I saw the original band if I remember correctly was High Point University in High Point, North Carolina  some weeks before Duane's Final Note Show. Juicy Carter was with them for the High Point show too on saxophone. He must have done that leg of the tour.

I read over the summer Warren once mentioned Juicy Carter to Jaimoe in a negative light and Jaimoe got mad at Warren about that.

But Tom Dowd during the Fillmore shows in March didn't like the horns at all and told Duane Allman bluntly. Dowd said Thom Doucette was okay but all of the horn players were out of tune and one was Juicy.

I got to speak to Jaimoe and get his autograph on my vinyl copies of the first two albums after a 1994 show and he ask me if I saw the original band. I told him about Juicy Carter being there the very last time and Jaimoe was pleased and said Juicy was a close friend. And said some of the original band shows and seeing the Mahavishnu Orcheatra were the only times he was so at one with the music that he left his body.

Jaimoe said the band was never that magical after "Duane and Barry split ". Another time I got to chat with Jaimoe was at a small club in Greensboro,  North Carolina in late 1976 I think it was and Sea Level was playing. They didn't have any roadies. Jaimoe, Jimmy Nalls and Lamar carried in and set up their own equipment. Jaimoe's floor tom still had a big mushroom sticker on it with the then Allman Brothers Band logo. Chuck played a piano the opening band Arrogance, a noted Raleigh, NC band then, used. I recalled back in 1976 in my chat with Jaimoe he again said Duane and Barry. Well it sounded that way to me. I didn't correct him and perhaps I didn't hear him correctly. 

Also at that show I got to chat with Chuck for a couple of minutes and he said they broke up because of Gregg and all of them were mad at Gregg and Dickey was putting a new band together.  I ask if Butch was in that and Chuck said "No. Butch wanted to be in this band and played a little club tour with us but when it was over I told him I liked it better with just the four of us". I still remember Chuck's belt for his trousers. It had piano keys on it all the way around.

I seldom heard what I was expecting when had chances to speak to Allman Brothers.

Posted : November 3, 2020 2:25 pm
RCgp2020
(@rcgp2020)
Estimable Member

Thank you for sharing the great reviews and wonderful stories. In these days of uncertainty, it's really comforting and good to know that we can always turn to the music of The Allman Brothers to brighten up even the darkest of days. 

Peace to all and enjoy the day!

Posted : November 4, 2020 10:38 am
Share: