Paul McCartney Calls Rolling Stones a "Blues Cover Band"

12 Posts
5 Users
7 Likes
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member
Topic starter

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/13/entertainment/paul-mccartney-rolling-stones-scli-intl/index.html

MACCA calls the 'Stones a 'Blues cover band".  I ask, "what the Hell's wrong with that"?

I generally prefer the Beatles over the 'Stones, but I have been revisiting the latter's early catalog.  Yes - early on, I'd say that this was a fair assessment of the Rolling Stones.  Personally, I thank them for this.  Without knowing at the time, they turned me on to a lot of what would become my favorite music in the world.  Lots of covers on those early 'Stones records - great covers.

McCartney says the the Beatles drew from a wider well of sources.  This might also be true.  Mick Jagger jabs back with the fact that the Beatles never played arena tours - or toured much at all.  Touche'!

I love both bands - but let's check one of my fave "Stones covers against the inspiration:

Hey!  It's all good!  😉 

Posted : October 13, 2021 3:11 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

I know it's all friendly competition, everyone in the 60s was trying to displace the other band out of the #1 spot - even Dean Martin could brag about knocking the Beatles out of #1 single.

The Rolling Stones totally started as a blues band (which was great) just as the Beatles started as a 1950s rock & roll band. The Beatles definitely pushed the envelope further in a short amount of time, but the Stones longevity allowed them to explore country and folk, and even a little dash of punk in the 1970s.

I am looking forward to Peter Jackson's upcoming Beatles doc:

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : October 13, 2021 3:24 pm
Rusty reacted
tenorsfan
(@tenorsfan)
Estimable Member

Funny that Mick would say the Beets never played the arena tours. Making mischief? They had until after that rooftop concert where John ends it saying we hope we passed the audition. Like they decided they didn't, cause, to me, that to them, Faul looked too different, sounded too different, and sang too different to them, to put themselves under the close scrutiny of continuous live concerts.

Posted : October 14, 2021 5:55 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@tenorsfan

Mick is kind of right, I think he's referring to the mega arena shows that started in the 70s. The Beatles' final tour dipped its toe in that in 1966, during which they mostly played ballparks to accommodate large crowds and security. They decided to stop touring because they couldn't hear themselves over the unruly crowd while on stage.

The rooftop concert was an impromptu performance while recording Let It Be in 1969. They had discussed doing a larger concert but no one was interested because the band was in the process of breaking up at that point.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : October 14, 2021 9:09 am
Rusty reacted
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member
Topic starter

In the parody film, "The Ruttles" Mick (and other rock stars) made cameo appearances commenting on the fictional band while obviously alluding to the authentic one.  "They were ridiculously popular", said Mick.  I forget the exact dialogue but he alluded to the fact that "the Ruttles" never toured - instead, appeared in a few fun yet cheesy films.  I'll have to hunt it up and re-watch.

The Beatles are and were undeniably talented and well-suited for their time.  They were funny, handsome and benefitted from amazing public relations.  They managed to be in the right place at the right time - moments ahead of any of their nearest "competition".  Honestly, they were not and never became one of those "hardest working bands in show-biz" type groups.  Paul McCartney was the one who WANTED to tour and play.  I think the others (probably especially John Lennon) got tired of the "Fab Four/mop-top" thing and wanted to move onto something more serious.  Via Wings (reputedly having more "hits") and his later bands - McCartney certainly rivaled the 'Stones on world tours and arena shows.  I don't recall any actual stadium tours. 

There's no point in arguing "greatest" or "most talented" - that's all a matter of perspective and preference.  Both acts were/are deserving of their fame and reputation and will be discussed and remembered for a very long time to come.

This post was modified 2 years ago by Rusty

Posted : October 14, 2021 11:22 am
robslob reacted
CB
 CB
(@cb)
Estimable Member

I wish I had been part of that blues cover band 😀 

Posted : October 14, 2021 2:06 pm
Rusty reacted
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member
Topic starter

@cb I have two Rolling Stones connections ... sort of.

When I lived in Birmingham, I saw Wayne Perkins' band on many a Friday and Saturday night.  Wayne very nearly replaced Mick Taylor - got as far as being officially announced by their management.  They went with Ron Wood instead, but Wayne's playing is all over the Black and Blue album (especially the solo on Hand of Fate).

Second story - there's a guy here in the Golden Isles name Harry Aldrige who played in a band called the Bushmen in the 60's.  Did y'all know that the Rolling Stones FIRST show in America was in Statesboro, GA?  Harry's band (the Bushman) and a band called the Roemans (with Berry Oakley) were openers for that show!  I'm posting a link for a very long article that is worth reading in its entirety.  Not mentioned in depth in the article - a lot of the students at the show were more impressed by the Bushmen than the 'Stones!  

https://www.statesboroherald.com/local/unabridged-the-rolling-stones-live-at-georgia-southern-in-1965/

Posted : October 14, 2021 4:29 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

In the early 1970's I was hired to be lead guitarist for the Rolling Stones. Got a song I wrote on their next album which sold 12 million copies worldwide. The royalty checks were such I needed two checking accounts. The first account filled up and wouldn't hold anymore money so I had to open a second account. 

Trying not to get in Keith's way with my lead playing was tricky. 

But the whole thing sadly came to a quick end when I woke up and realized I was still in a garage band in Springfield. 

Posted : October 14, 2021 10:25 pm
Rusty reacted
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member
Topic starter

@robertdee You just reminded me that the 'Stones covered "Just My Imagination"!  😉 

Posted : October 15, 2021 10:00 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@rusty Yeah. The Temptations!! I did dream that back in the 1970's. What in the world did I smoke that evening?? 

Posted : October 15, 2021 10:02 am
Rusty reacted
CB
 CB
(@cb)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @rusty

@cb I have two Rolling Stones connections ... sort of.

When I lived in Birmingham, I saw Wayne Perkins' band on many a Friday and Saturday night.  Wayne very nearly replaced Mick Taylor - got as far as being officially announced by their management.  They went with Ron Wood instead, but Wayne's playing is all over the Black and Blue album (especially the solo on Hand of Fate).

Second story - there's a guy here in the Golden Isles name Harry Aldrige who played in a band called the Bushmen in the 60's.  Did y'all know that the Rolling Stones FIRST show in America was in Statesboro, GA?  Harry's band (the Bushman) and a band called the Roemans (with Berry Oakley) were openers for that show!  I'm posting a link for a very long article that is worth reading in its entirety.  Not mentioned in depth in the article - a lot of the students at the show were more impressed by the Bushmen than the 'Stones!  

https://www.statesboroherald.com/local/unabridged-the-rolling-stones-live-at-georgia-southern-in-1965/

Thanks Rusty, I really enjoyed the article!!!

My first job out of college was as a box office manager.  We had a show with the Jacksons booked along with a couple of other bands.  The Jackson's equipment truck broke down on the way to the show.  The other bands offered to let the Jackson's borrow their equipment, but the Jackson's wouldn't perform.

Turns out refunding cash to an angry crowd isn't a lot of fun, either. 

I can feel the guy that organized the shows pain.

But hey; It's Only Rock and Roll.

Posted : October 18, 2021 4:49 pm
Rusty reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@cb The Jackson's didn't want to use other people's equipment because their guitars, bass, keyboards, drums are like player pianos. Press a switch and you are playing like Jimi Hendrix but make sure your fingers are moving so people won't know. And you lip sync your vocals to a recording you had already made. 

Madonna was caught lip syncing to her own voice and the next day she explained it was because she dances so hard that she doesn't have the breath to sing like that at the same time. 

This post was modified 2 years ago by robertdee

Posted : October 19, 2021 12:34 pm
Share: