The Allman Brothers Band
Notifications
Clear all

Just got my latest Guitar Player mag. Guess who's on the cover?

StratDal
(@stratdal)
Peach Extraordianire

He liked eating Georgia peaches... 😎 

Topic starter Posted : August 22, 2021 8:05 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Extraordianire

Steve Jones of the Sex Pistols? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 22, 2021 11:07 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
World Class Peach

Got mine over the weekend too. Very cool!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 23, 2021 7:12 am
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Peach Extraordianire

I found the October issues for sale on eBay and one of the seller showed the index and ABB author Alan Paul wrote the article.

Is there anything new in the article that hardcore ABB fans don't already know?

I am a sucker any book or mag related to ABB or Duane so would be curious if the article has any new info and is worth buying.

This post was modified 2 months ago by Bill_Graham
ReplyQuote
Posted : August 23, 2021 8:57 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Extraordianire

@bill_graham (Inside the guitar legend's final days). Maybe nothing new, I don't know yet. But I'm going to pick up a copy. To read about those last week's and days in sequence sounds special. We can't see over the next hill. The next ride in the car or trip to the bank could mean a serious accident or walking into a robbery and living your last day here. It happened to H. D. Allman October, 29th, 1971 at age 24. 

For the kind of music the ABB played in that unique ABB style, Duane Allman played with more energy and command of the stage, a cocky confidence, that apparently some are born with, than any guitarist that has been in the Allman Brothers. Gregg always said he brother could set a stage on fire in a New York minute! 

Duane was the inspiration and driving force that pushed the band forward with absolute certainty they were that good and success WILL follow! 

As talented as Gregg and Dickey were, I'm always thinking their music and songs would have found a way to get on record and be noticed without the ABB but I'm never certain. 

Heck I'm not sure Derek and Warren would be as well known today if it hadn't been for Duane Allman. And Butch, Jaimoe and Berry Oakley may have never been known by many people without Duane. Duane was the George Bailey from It's A Wonderful Life for the larger Allman Brothers circle in a way! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 23, 2021 1:02 pm
DarylM
(@darylm)
Peach Master

I loved the comment made in Jim Campilongo's column about Dickey's 

guitar solos! I won't repeat it here but it is one of the best descriptions 

I've ever heard.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 23, 2021 2:21 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Extraordianire

@darylm I tried to find what Jim said about Dickey's solos online with no luck. Maybe you will tell us anyway. 

Certainly Dickey's solos are not like anyone who has been in the ABB over the years. Dickey had his own style that was so different usually you know it's him in three notes. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 23, 2021 6:52 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Peach Extraordianire

Just picked this up today at Barns & Noble and have to say it is worth the price just for the photos in the main Duane article.

Also a nice article on Fame Studios and a separate one on the Allman's recording there.

There is also an interview with the Robinson Brothers Crowes. There is a quote from rich that he had the chance to play Duane's Les Paul Goldtop and thought it was a dud but was amazed at how Duane made it sound great.

Looking forward to settling in tonight for a good read

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 24, 2021 6:02 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Extraordianire

@bill_graham I've heard that too about Duane's Goldtop. But it sounds fine when Duane plays it. Of course Duane didn't stick with it but his first switch was apparently only so he could get a pretty Sunburst and he had his Goldtop pickups moved to the Sunburst. Then Duane got a tobacco burst and later a second one. 

Dickey wasn't happy with his first Les Paul and went through 5 or so before settling in with the famous 1957 Goldie Goldtop. According to Red Dog and a guy I knew who was at that particular show, Dickey got angry at a Les Paul and through it across the stage and stormed off. And Red Dog said it didn't break it so he put it in Dickey's guitar case and when Dickey got through with it the next day, Red Dog put the pieces in a dumpster! Smile

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 24, 2021 6:19 pm
WaitinForRain
(@waitinforrain)
A Peach Supreme

@bill_graham Duane's Gold Top is a rebuild of what people thought it was. Duane's tobacco burst would be a better comparison but it is still 50 years on and electronics wear out. Just saying.

OTOH, Jack Pearson didn't have trouble making Duane's guitars sing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 24, 2021 9:07 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Peach Extraordianire
Posted by: @waitinforrain

@bill_graham Duane's Gold Top is a rebuild of what people thought it was. Duane's tobacco burst would be a better comparison but it is still 50 years on and electronics wear out. Just saying.

OTOH, Jack Pearson didn't have trouble making Duane's guitars sing.

Thanks for the comment rain but I am an Electrical Engineer who plays a little and there is not much to an old Led Paul to "wear out". 

You have pickups which are coils of wire around a magnet, the interconnect wire, pickup select switch, tone/volume pots and a couple of nonelectrolytic caps that may drift in value with age but don't wear out per say.

Rich Robinson's opinion was the guitar was heavy and did not project for him. Doesn't sound like he got a chance to play it for too long but it just did not speak to him. 

I don't have experience with a lot of guitars to comment but I have read opinions that heavy LP's, due to denser Mahogany bodies, don't have the same sustain of lighter bodies. Maybe this was Robinson's concern.

I am sure Rich, who is very talented, could have made it sound good in concert but it just wasn't his cup of tea.

Worked for Duane but maybe it was not for everyone.

This post was modified 2 months ago 2 times by Bill_Graham
ReplyQuote
Posted : August 24, 2021 9:29 pm
WaitinForRain
(@waitinforrain)
A Peach Supreme

@bill_graham thanks for the comment I have a beautiful old ohau lap steel here with cranky old pots and a very weak pickup but now I know that electronics never change and last forever so I'll keep looking for the person with fingers who makes the Oahu great again.

The current Goldie is like a rebuilt VW 

It ain't what Duane drove

And hasn't Derek given the same axe a spin as well as buying a Goldtop that was the closest serial number to Duane's as he could get? Betcha he addressed the electronics...

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 25, 2021 7:43 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Peach Extraordianire
Posted by: @waitinforrain

@bill_graham thanks for the comment I have a beautiful old ohau lap steel here with cranky old pots and a very weak pickup but now I know that electronics never change and last forever so I'll keep looking for the person with fingers who makes the Oahu great again.

The current Goldie is like a rebuilt VW 

It ain't what Duane drove

And hasn't Derek given the same axe a spin as well as buying a Goldtop that was the closest serial number to Duane's as he could get? Betcha he addressed the electronics...

Pots can be usually be cleaned with deoxit or easily replaced and while the magnets in pickups can weaken over time they rarely are rendered unusable. In fact some pickup companies these days purposely partially  demagnitize the magnets on their new humbuckers to try to capture the old Gibson PAF mojo.

The owner of Duane's Goldtop until 2019, Scot Lamar,  had it restored so doubt "worn out electronics",  is why Rich Robinson was not impressed with the guitar when had  a chance to play it as Lamar was generous letting musicians play the guitar when he owned it.

Also when Duane traded the Goldtop for another LP he evidently swapped out the pickups and kept the Goldtop pickups so the guitar Robinson played did not have the original PAF's so it was not the same guitar Duane played as the pickups have a big influence on sound.

https://www.groundguitar.com/duane-allman-guitars -and-gear/duane-allmans-1957-gibson-les-paul-goldtop/

As I said there is not much electronically that can wear out on a guitar and the few components that can cause issues are easily fixed. 

In any case one man's holy grail guitar is another's man's dud.

This post was modified 2 months ago 3 times by Bill_Graham
ReplyQuote
Posted : August 25, 2021 10:28 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Extraordianire

This is probably the most COSMIC AND OTHER WORLDLY version of Dreams live!!! 

Duane Allman is way out there here with Berry Oakley and Dickey helping Duane stay in outer space!! 

Reverse your headphones if you want to hear Duane, Jaimoe, Dickey and Butch on stage on their correct sides. My copy of this CD is wrong or reversed too. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 5, 2021 8:52 pm
Billastro
(@billastro)
Extreme Peach

Good, but scant, considering that this year will mark the 50th anniversary of Duane's passing. Very little new info. 

Their October, 1981 issue had a lot more material. If nothing else they could have reprinted the interviews, etc.

BTW, if you were to put Duane's name in the subject line it would help 😀 

Or am I just a crusty ol' curmudgeon? Cool  

Billastro

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 18, 2021 6:03 pm
StratDal liked
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Extraordianire

@billastro

Duane Allman left a huge legacy for someone who died at age 24. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 26, 2021 3:48 pm
Billastro
(@billastro)
Extreme Peach

@robertdee Exactly why I wish they'd done a more exhaustive job.

Billastro

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 26, 2021 5:11 pm
Share: