8/1/93 - the Zakk Wylde Show

15 Posts
9 Users
4 Likes
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Yup, that infamous show. Dickey was out due to some drunken fisticuffs, somehow Zakk Wylde sat in for one night and was, unsurprisingly, just a little too metal. Dave Grissom and Jack Pearson stubbed the rest of the tour.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : August 23, 2021 11:37 am
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

I believe it was Miles Kington who once said, “Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.”  Zach certainly has his own style and merits, but whoever decided that he'd blend in with the Allman Brothers Band must've left their wisdom on the tour bus.  For me, this was like driving past a horrible wreck on the interstate.  I knew it was a bloody mess ... but I had to look.  😉 

Posted : August 23, 2021 12:17 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Are you sure that is Zakk Wylde? That Stormy Monday solo sounded like B. B. King..... except B. B. after he drank a half of gallon of peach brandy spiked with two crushed yellow jacket speed pills:)

Warren took the second solo which would have been Dickey's had he not been in jail. How many times has Dickey been in jail? Someone said 10 times. The first one was before the ABB on a cattle rustling charge. Probably about 5 times. 

I've never heard anyone play a guitar that fast in an Allman Brothers show. Machine gun shredding. 

Zakk is fine for a metal kinda thing. But it's about as out of place in an ABB show as having him in a band backing Ernest Tubb or Roy Acuff. 

Thank you for posting though. Always been curious about how it sounded b

Posted : August 23, 2021 12:26 pm
matt05 and Rusty reacted
CrossEyedCat
(@crosseyedcat)
Estimable Member

@rusty 

I don’t think he was a second or even third choice. Warren wanted Chuck for the gig but management wanted two lead guitars. Although the five man lineup seemed to work okay with one lead guitar and I’m sure Warren could have handled it. Dave Grissom and Jack P were not available for that night and someone within the ABB organisation had worked with Ozzy and so an introduction was made.

Posted : August 25, 2021 12:24 pm
Rusty reacted
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@crosseyedcat Yeah, I've heard Grissom talk about that tour. ABB was scrambling to get someone for this show while Dickey was in the pokey. Grissom missed the call while flying back from a gig, and by the time he called ABB back, they had already booked Zakk. After the Zakk show they were able to fly Dave and his guitar in.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : August 25, 2021 12:41 pm
CrossEyedCat reacted
Psy
 Psy
(@psy)
Reputable Member

I was at that show. It was like one of the guitar players from 'Spinal Tap' had been dropped in to replace Dickey Betts. A rather comical WTF?

Two of the three friends I was with, left around halfway into the show. Me and another friend stayed to the end but, unfortunately, it didn't get any better.

Posted : August 25, 2021 4:33 pm
Edge
 Edge
(@edge)
Trusted Member

If you’d care to see another butchering of a great Blues song search YouTube for Zakk doing Gary Moore’s “Still Got the Blues” Steve Vai and Nuno Bettencourt join in the butchery also…..

Posted : August 25, 2021 4:47 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@psy

Ha! Cool to hear from someone who actually witnessed the train crash. It's bad, it could have been a whole lot worse. I would have stuck around to see the end of it too - you just know "Whipping Post" is going to be, uh, unique. I'm glad I didn't pay for the show, so I can say I'm almost happy for Zakk that he got to metal-up an ABB show.

I think the Steven Seagal show in 2000 would have disappointed me more. There was no MIA guitarist emergency excuse, he was invited like a vampire to join the band for a few tunes. How do you take this seriously?

EUA4WQFUUAE54h9

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : August 25, 2021 5:51 pm
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

@porkchopbob Maybe Dickey had a man-crush?

Posted : August 25, 2021 7:12 pm
islalala
(@islalala)
Honorable Member

Thanks for posting this audio. First time I've heard the whole thing.

Sure it's super cringey at times, but it's a fun novelty to experience. Whipping Post and a few others actually have some pretty cool moments.

Posted : August 25, 2021 8:02 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@porkchopbob Steven isn't that good to me. Actor, singer or guitarist. 

I think Gregg, which he did several times after 1990, recorded some new music for a Steven Seagal movie. 

It could have been Dickey too. Dickey was hanging around Don Johnson in the mid to late 1970 sharing some song writing credits together. 

This post was modified 3 years ago by robertdee

Posted : August 25, 2021 8:26 pm
DerekFromCincinnati
(@derekfromcincinnati)
Prominent Member

I love the Zakk show. I think it is absolutely hilarious.....though glad it was a one off. Love it! Still cracks me up. Smile

Posted : August 25, 2021 10:36 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@porkchopbob

And number one is!!!!!!??????????

Posted : September 6, 2021 5:58 pm
ssepr
(@ssepr)
Trusted Member

If it wasn't for warren this show would has been a total waste of time. I guess you could said it was funny.

Posted : September 7, 2021 1:00 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@ssepr Zakk filling in for Garth Brooks' lead guitarist would have been a good one too! 

I wonder if the Eagles have considered Zakk for Glenn Frey's replacement?  Vince Gill said in a TV interview that apparently some of the fans don't like Vince singing and playing Glenn's parts. 

Posted : September 7, 2021 5:05 pm
Share: