The Allman Brothers Band
How has Govt Mule’s...

Notifications
Clear all

How has Govt Mule’s 10/30 50th Anniversary tribute to At Fillmore East Halloween extravaganza not been discussed here?

20 Posts
11 Users
1 Likes
thetoweringfool
(@thetoweringfool)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I know this site is slow but cmon lol.  Just  to bring everyone up to speed...Mule’s Saturday 10/30 official Halloween show in GEORGIA will feature Paul Riddle (MTB) on second kit and Charlie Starr (B. Smoke) on guitar.  All signs point to a recreation of ABB’s magnum opus AT Fillmore East.  I’ll go old-school and start the Roll Call:  1.  thetoweringfool n 3 pals.             2.                                     Mule will also be performing the night before at The Tabernacle 10/29.  Many here will recognize this as the 50th anniversary of the immortal Howard Duane Allman’s untimely passing.  In addition to the debut of Mule’s new blues album; “surprises” have been promised.  I’m really hoping for a few tracks off the DA anthologies...maybe a lil Goin Down Slow or Loan me a Dime?  Needless to say, these two Georgia Mule shows guarantee to be positively historic and mandatory for hardcore ABB fans like us. Hope to see y’all there...I’ll be the guy dressed as Brother Duane 🍄  🎃 

Posted : October 5, 2021 1:12 pm
Buzzy82 reacted
steved
(@steved)
Honorable Member

Oh wow! Leave it to Warren. As we say on this site, he "gets it".

Can't wait for the reports.

Posted : October 5, 2021 6:19 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Trust me as a Mule fanatic I got the e-mail notice but sadly finances don't allow me to fly to Atlanta or I would be there in a heartbeat.

Hopefully that show will be the next CD/DVD live release. If not it will be a must buy from Muletracks downloads.

Look forward to your first hand  review of the show.

Posted : October 5, 2021 8:49 pm
steved
(@steved)
Honorable Member

Surprises huh? Could it be Jack, Jaimoe? I don't see anything on Derek's schedule either. Hmm...

Posted : October 6, 2021 10:02 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Yes Warren has great respect for At Fillmore East and the original band. He has said in a few interviews that the sound of the original band is the REAL Allman Brothers. I say that too. 

But that doesn't mean Gregg, Butch, Jaimoe and earlier Dickey too didn't have the right to continue the band. Some lineups and albums obviously got too far off track for the ABB if Duane had lived. 

Warren was the one who pushed the original members to go back to square one and get as close to the original band as possible in 1989. 

Always look forward to anything Warren has in the works. 

Posted : October 6, 2021 10:22 am
Delawhere
(@delawhere)
Estimable Member

A couple more clues -- on the Mule website where it announces the 30th show, it's printed on an equipment trunk like the cover of Fillmore East and next to it is a mushroom with "50" inside of it. Sure wish I lived closer and/or could afford to fly to Hot 'Lanta...

Posted : October 6, 2021 11:11 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

It will be cool if it is indeed a tribute to The Fillmore but how can it just be assumed that it will be the case?

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : October 6, 2021 3:02 pm
thetoweringfool
(@thetoweringfool)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

@Lee it’s hard to see it but the text on the bottom of the ABB road case graphic for the tabernacle shows says “Live at the Tabernacle South”. In addition to the mushrooms w the 50 designation beside the date.  On top of that officially showcasing an additional lead guitarist and second drummer basically confirms it IMO 

Posted : October 6, 2021 6:39 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@lee You are right. It looks like it may be that way but maybe not. But on the positive side the Mule has saluted Pink Floyd and Jimi Hendrix and did a great job doing it too. Warren even nailed David Gilmore's guitar tone or was real close. 

So they could do a Fillmore East show. And a good one too. 

Posted : October 6, 2021 6:58 pm
thetoweringfool
(@thetoweringfool)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Yeah, Mule has a rich history of concept Halloween’s.  Just a few yrs ago at The Tabernacle I saw Mule do Sabbath Paranoid start to finish on Halloween.  WH playn a black SG n hitting dirty Iommi riffs lol...  encored with Snowblind; man that was a trip haha. Lots of “first time performed” at that show.  As far as ABB material is concerned, well...  Mule played Macon  the year Gregg.  I KNEW this wasn’t to be missed...was hoping/figuring we’d get End of the Line and Please Call Home if we were lucky.  Warren ended up bringing in Jackie P from Nashville unannounced.  The entire 2nd set was ABB...Blue Sky, Dreams, WP and more.  Encored w Mtn Jam>Melissa>MJ.  Jack n Warren lit Macon Auditorium on FIRE...everyone was going nuts, very emotional.  I’m not sure I saw Warren or Jack smile once...just LOCKED IN.  Long story short...when it’s time for Govt Mule to pay homage to The Brothers; buckle up.  Hope to see some old faces in HotLanta 🍑 

Posted : October 6, 2021 8:04 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

OT but still Mule related here are some pics from the Boston Leader Bank show my wife and I attended a few weeks ago. Mule added this show during a break in their Outlaw Music Festival schedule. Margo Price opened for them.

We had 2nd row center seats but due to the tight stage setup Matt was obscured for us by Danny's keyboard setup. The stage was huge but the band setup was very tight so people on either side of the stage had some obstructed view issues.

Love the fact that I was able to buy the FLAC of the concert the next day from Muletracks. Wish other bands did this

Good shot of the stage setup from our seats. Sadly no view of Matt due to Danny's rig setup.

Danny playing brass on the cover of the Stones "Can't You Hear Me knocking" He is the true utility man in the band playing rhythm guitar as well on brass on some songs in addition to his excellent keyboard work

This post was modified 3 years ago 3 times by Bill_Graham

Posted : October 7, 2021 11:46 am
ssepr
(@ssepr)
Trusted Member

@bill_graham Haynes is a baaaad man. I wouldn't put anything past him

Posted : October 7, 2021 1:00 pm
berkhath
(@berkhath)
Estimable Member

I shall be there both nights, with my youngest child. Well, he's 23 so not a child anymore but....I do believe we're going to trek down to Macon on SaturDay and let him make his first stop at the Big House. 

Posted : October 8, 2021 12:56 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Macon...10/30...and Warren being a former member of the ABB.  Sounds as if there is a good chance Warren will salute At Fillmore East. 

That is a tall order for most musicians to perform probably the greatest live rock album ever but Warren can pull it off just as he nailed David Gilmore's tone and playing on their Pink Floyd salute.

I never heard Warren, Derek or Jack Pearson as hot and pedal to the metal as Duane and Dickey were at some of their shows in 1970 and 1971 I saw but they are real close. So I'm ready and know they can pull it off.  

This post was modified 3 years ago by robertdee

Posted : October 10, 2021 5:38 pm
tbomike
(@tbomike)
Noble Member

Warren confirms the Atlanta plans in this interview I just saw.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/govt-mule-blues-album/

Posted : October 10, 2021 9:04 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@tbomike Yep they are playing At Fillmore East. And I bet they will nail it. I'm not that familiar with Charlie Starr. Wonder if he meant Ringo Starr? 

I remember Warren being interviewed on a Charlotte NC radio station in 1990 when the ABB was playing there on the Seven Turns tour and he talked about how exciting and special it was for him to be in the Allman Brothers with the four surviving original members as the Allman band had influenced him as a young musician in Asheville, NC more than other bands he liked and At Fillmore East was THE album that inspired him as a player during those years. 

He also said when the band toured in the late 1970s to early 1980s they had lost their way and drifted from that classic sound that made the band so special and that he had a good relationship with Dickey and when they decided to tour in 1989, Warren encouraged the core members to go back to square one and get as close to the original band as they can without the new guys copying Duane and Berry note for note. 

I had seen two shows in 1989 and it did indeed sound real good and reminded one of the original band a lot. 

Posted : October 11, 2021 6:04 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

I was just kidding about Charlie Starr. I've seen him with Blackberry Smoke and he is a great player and At Fillmore East is a big record for him too. 

Posted : October 11, 2021 6:07 am
Buzzy82
(@buzzy82)
Trusted Member

Towering Fool, the good old days of Roll Call was an amazing time indeed! Buzzy82 is reporting for duty as I have 4 tickets for Halloween night and cant wait for the show. Warren and Boys seem to really enjoy playing at the Tabernacle as the shows are always very strong. I am quite certain 2021 Mule O Ween will be no different! An ABB set is sure to be crank things up in the ATL 😎 

"It's heavy; lay your burden down" WH

Posted : October 16, 2021 9:57 pm
tbomike
(@tbomike)
Noble Member

For those so inclined Mule announced they will stream this weekend in Hot Lanta. Looking forward to it.

https://twitter.com/govtmuleband/status/1452711876719173633

Posted : October 25, 2021 5:56 pm
Slyckyr
(@slyckyr)
Reputable Member
Share: