Duane's 75th Birthday

13 Posts
7 Users
9 Likes
steved
(@steved)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Has anyone heard of anything coming to celebrate what would have been Duane's 75th birthday on November 20th?

I thought I read that Galadrielle was working on something a while ago but all quiet now.

Posted : October 4, 2021 7:41 pm
PeachNutt and Rusty reacted
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

Remembering Duane.  Thinking about how different my own life would be without his music and influence.   

Posted : October 4, 2021 8:27 pm
PeachNutt reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Has any of the fine guitarists who have been in the ABB played a solo that smokes like this one even when he slows it down? The answer is NO! 

HOWARD DUANE ALLMAN WAS DIALED IN HERE!

Posted : October 4, 2021 9:33 pm
pixielf reacted
steved
(@steved)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

How right you are Robertdee. It slays me every time even after all these years! What a band they were...

Posted : October 5, 2021 8:18 am
pixielf
(@pixielf)
Honorable Member

Posted by: @robertdee

Has any of the fine guitarists who have been in the ABB played a solo that smokes like this one even when he slows it down? The answer is NO! 

HOWARD DUANE ALLMAN WAS DIALED IN HERE!

AMEN!!!!! Still gives me chills after all these years. That music, and that album in particular, will never get old.  It sounds just as fresh and exciting as it did when I was a young girl of 15! 

Posted : October 5, 2021 4:43 pm
PeachNutt reacted
MarkRamsey
(@markramsey)
Estimable Member

In my mind the greatest solo ever!!!

Posted : October 5, 2021 8:49 pm
PeachNutt reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@markramsey Well Dickey had a bunch of great solos and Dickey had his own voice and style on guitar. And Warren, Jack and Derek had some great solos. 

But none of them just flat SMOKE like this and it's so effortless, organic and exciting. It is a hell of a ride from the first note to the last!!

Duane Allman clearly is the reason more than any other that the Allman Brothers Band became a success. 

Posted : October 6, 2021 10:27 am
PeachNutt reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Duane Allman is especially hot and hitting the note!! And so is Dickey!! 

Especially hot version of You Don't Love Me at 36:00. Duane and Dickey push the pedal to the floor. Hottest guitars you ever heard!! 

Also close to the end, of the You Dont Love Me jam, see if you notice Duane Allman going into "John Henry was a steel driving man, Lord, Lord...John Henry was a steel driving man!"

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by robertdee

Posted : October 9, 2021 3:02 am
PeachNutt reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

The version of You Don't Love Me here, to me, IS THE HOTTEST VERSION THE BAND EVER DID! That I've heard. And I mean ALL LINEUPS!!

Dickey and Duane at the beginning of the jam after the main body of the song, is twin lead guitars ON FIRE. Swapping licks for several minutes and it's smoking hot! 

You won't find anything from ANY of the guitarist from 1969 to 2014 that equals this that I've heard. Twin guitars on fire!! 

If you love the Allman Brothers DONT MISS YOU DONT LOVE ME!! Hottest you ever heard!!  

You Don't Love Me begins right after Dreams at 36:00. 

This post was modified 3 years ago by robertdee

Posted : October 9, 2021 10:25 am
PeachNutt reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Here are some aggravating clips from Fillmore March 13th, 1971! Duane focused. 

It's aggravating because they are so SHORT! But Duane and the boys seem to be in high gear with the pedal to the floor!

This post was modified 2 years ago by robertdee

Posted : October 23, 2021 9:54 am
PeachNutt
(@peachnutt)
Reputable Member

Duane's solo in this version of In Memory of Elizabeth Reed is an absolute Masterpiece!!!  All Live, no edits, no nothing - Pure Duane genius. inspired by the universe!!!! Cool Cool Cool  

Posted : November 1, 2021 9:35 am
steved
(@steved)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Ah the age old question. WHERE IS THE REST OF THIS VIDEO FOOTAGE??? Aggravating for sure.

Posted : November 1, 2021 2:50 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Posted by: @steved

Ah the age old question. WHERE IS THE REST OF THIS VIDEO FOOTAGE??? Aggravating for sure.

It looks like it is an audience filmed clip with an regular 8mm or super 8mm hand help camera. I believe you could only film a small amount of time before you had to put in new blank film. Depending on the type of camera the person filming had they may only have had 5-10minutes of film if it was a small hand held 8mm which is most likely for 1971.

Here is a good website that gives you an idea of how many minutes you get per size of film roll.

https://legacybox.com/blogs/analog/how-much-footage-is-on-my-8mm-film

This will give you and idea of the size of Kodak's best Super 8mm camera. Assuming the filmer had the best camera to work with. Those film cassettes are pretty small so not much time to film.

So that may be all there is unless they took multiple reels of film

This post was modified 2 years ago 3 times by Bill_Graham

Posted : November 1, 2021 3:51 pm
Share: