The Allman Brothers Band
Notifications
Clear all

he Allman Brothers Band - Stand Back (Live at the Beacon Theatre, NY 1998-03-10)

allmansrvvegas
(@allmansrvvegas)
Peach Master

Topic starter Posted : August 1, 2021 12:30 pm
Stephen liked
RCgp2020
(@rcgp2020)
Peach Master

Nice way to start this Sunday.

I always liked this tune and this particular version with Jack is tops in my opinion. Just wish I'd seen Jack play with the brothers one time. He is so versatile as a player and his slide work is top notch as well. I wish there were more shows with Jack out there. I just don't seem to find many these days...

Thanks for posting @Allmansrvegas, enjoy your day!

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 1, 2021 1:54 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Extraordianire

Very nice slide by Jack Pearson!! One of the best slide players and guitarist overall out there but often overlooked. 

Good vocals from Gregg. Great bass from Oteil! 

Hot lead guitar solo from Dickey too. Dickey had a hot rail pickup in the bridge position on that old 1956 Fender Stratocaster hardtail to make it sound more like a Gibson according to Duane Betts. Duane uses the guitar now on a couple of songs with Allman Betts Band. I got real close to that guitar in Blacksburg, VA last year and you quickly notice it has a lot of road wear. And a single coil was in the bridge pickup in Blacksburg and the hot rail was gone. Duane said he has one of his dad's Goldtop Les Pauls and his dad's 1961 ES-335 dot neck so he doesn't need the Strat to sound like a Gibson. Duane had it switched back to single coils so it would sound like a Strat. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 1, 2021 4:01 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Extraordianire

Three Les Pauls and a Ford. 

Those oldest Les Pauls didn't have those big fat humbuckers! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 1, 2021 4:19 pm
Rusty liked
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Extraordianire

The Naked Brothers Band! 

Butch Trucks said when they recorded Stand back in Miami in 1971 he felt Jaimoe's style fit the best and lead drum parts perfectly. So Butch insisted Jaimoe be the time keeper on this one and Butch would add some fills and color around the beat. And Jaimoe is real nice on this track. 

Supposedly this song began as an instrumental Berry Oakley was working on he was going to call " The Road To Calico". But he turned it over to Gregg and Gregg finished it, added words and called it Stand Back. I assume Gregg and Berry's estates split the royalties 50-50 on this one. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 1, 2021 4:34 pm
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

Dang, Jack's slide intonation is so effortless and absolutely flawless. Hitting those high notes isn't easy with a bottle, you have a lot less room for error with those narrow frets - and that's if the player is even still on the fret board. In lesser hands the top notes can sound really sour if you aren't accurate. Even Warren doesn't always nail those high notes on slide.

I never thought "Stand Back" sounded quite right with the 2nd guitar playing the keyboard parts, but they just couldn't do that on stage without another set of hands.

This has always been my favorite live "Stand Back"

www.porkchopbob.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 2, 2021 2:33 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Extraordianire

@porkchopbob I saw two shows from that tour in 1974. That is Tommy Talton on slide and Jaimoe next to Gregg and drummer Bill Stewart in Butch's spot. Chuck Leavell was on piano. I still have my copy of that album. 

What is this??? I found this last week. I didn't know Gregg's lead guitarist and band director and the other guys were playing this late after Gregg's death and calling it The Gregg Allman Band. Here they are in NYC in November, 2016 doing STAND BACK!!

This post was modified 2 months ago 2 times by robertdee
ReplyQuote
Posted : August 2, 2021 3:59 pm
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

@robertdee 

If memory serves, Gregg had a number of dates scheduled at City Winery, but became too weak to perform at that point. I think his last show was late October 2016, where he was looking pretty frail. Rather than cancel the CW shows, these Gregg-less shows were free before the remaining shows were canceled. As we all now know, Gregg never climbed the riser again.

https://www.jambase.com/article/gregg-allman-first-two-city-winery-shows-band-will-play

www.porkchopbob.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 2, 2021 4:09 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Extraordianire

@porkchopbob Yeah my bad. Gregg died in 2017 not 2016. That Stand Back without Gregg at City Winery is late 2016. I'm sorry for the slip up. Yeah I recall now that Gregg was too Ill to finish his late 2016 tour. Gregg was determined to play until the end and almost did. 

Here is Tommy Talton on slide. After the piano solo he gets way past the fret board. I remember from the Gregg Allman Laid Back 1974 tour Tommy put his slide on his little finger and I don't remember him using a pick in his right hand. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 2, 2021 4:29 pm
masbama
(@masbama)
Peach Pro

Never understood why the Chuck/Lamar lineup never played this. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 3, 2021 3:13 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Extraordianire

@masbama I would hear people yelling for Don't Keep Me Wondering too. They remembered the high octane energy from Duane Allman's kick butt slide playing so was calling for it. I went to about 15 Chuck/Lamar lineup shows. That lineup was smoking in 1973 but became uneven in 1974, 75 and 76. Sometimes real good and other times jaded and uninspired and uninterested. Maybe too high to play well at times too like the 1974 Atlanta baseball stadium show. 

This lineup, while the most commercially successful of ANY ABB lineup, was different than the original. Perhaps more of a jazz take and less hot rock guitars on the songs??

Without checking set lists for the period, I never heard them do Black Hearted Woman, Every Hungry Woman, Please Call Home, Revival, Hoochie Coochie Man, Leave My Blues At Home, Hot' Lanta, Melissa, Jelly, Jelly , Don't Keep Me Wondering and STANDBACK.  Remember hearing Pony Boy but done as an instrumental. From Win, Loose or Draw; Just Another Love Song, Louisiana Lou and Three Card Monty John I never heard. But talking about 15 to 20 shows out of over 100 played by that lineup. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 4, 2021 10:10 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Extraordianire

This is from the live bonus CD of the 2013 40th anniversary release of their biggest selling album by far, Brothers and Sisters. A great jazz like version of Whipping Post with wonderful solos from Chuck and Gregg then a nice jazzy solo from Dickey with a beautiful lullaby passage. Dickey's playing is absolutely stunning or so cosmic. But not like they really kicked it in the original band. You'll be very impressed with Chuck, Gregg and especially Dickey's solo if you haven't heard it. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 4, 2021 10:19 am
masbama
(@masbama)
Peach Pro

@robertdee 

I agree. I listen to that often.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 7, 2021 11:16 am
Share: